Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mad late to answer the question, but in 96 there was probably a dozen places in LIC where a stadium could've been built. Not exaggerating.

But it prolly would've been badly damaged by Sandy. That's actually my biggest concern with the potential fresh direct site.

Not just the hearst tower.... Solider field in Chicago kept the exterior of the old stadium and landed a giant glass spaceship in the middle.

p174770728-3.jpg

Here's the size of our pitch:

fieldsize.png

Best I can figure is 110 yards by 68 yards. Compare that to the Columbus Crew field we played on last night which wikipedia says is 115 x 75 or Red Bull Arena which is the "standard" 120 x 75. Next match I'll take some photos so I can make sure I get the position just right but this should at least be close. Not sure it can be the 70 yards that's claimed and still fit but I suppose it's possible.

fieldsize.png

Best I can figure is 110 yards by 68 yards. Compare that to the Columbus Crew field we played on last night which wikipedia says is 115 x 75 or Red Bull Arena which is the "standard" 120 x 75. Next match I'll take some photos so I can make sure I get the position just right but this should at least be close. Not sure it can be the 70 yards that's claimed and still fit but I suppose it's possible.
I'm just eyeballing here but it seems you left a bit of leeway to maybe add those 2 yards. You've got maybe 3 yards - I think - between the 68 yard field and the pitchers mound. I'm not sure there is a full 3 steps between them.

fieldsize.png

I'd be curious if our field could be rotated in any way to make it bigger within the confines of the stands?

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm just eyeballing here but it seems you left a bit of leeway to maybe add those 2 yards. You've got maybe 3 yards - I think - between the 68 yard field and the pitchers mound. I'm not sure there is a full 3 steps between them.
I'd be curious if our field could be rotated in any way to make it bigger within the confines of the stands?
I'm going to get there early for the Vancouver match so I can go down to the front rows to take photos and figure out exactly where the corners are. Can't really get near the bullpen corner but I can get right next to the other three. After that I should hopefully be able to "survey" it out.

There's photos of Ireland vs Spain where they took out the mound to make sure the field was wide enough. Without doing that I don't think there's much room to do anything as we're already right up against the bullpen. Also, don't forget you need a little over three yards behind the goal lines for the goals themselves. I'll try to get some exact measurements in a couple of weeks though.

Yankee-Stadium.jpg

Over on BigSoccer, they went in depth using google earth and the unanimous conclusion was ultimately that it was at least 70. Don't feel like looking it up.

Many players have said it is distinctly smaller than the listed dimensions.

Many players have said it is distinctly smaller than the listed dimensions.
I don't understand why anyone thinks this is persuasive unless the players actually measured it. There are no other 70 yard fields in MLS. There were a few years ago but they were widened. So how the heck can they be so expert on how a 70 yard pitch plays?
If there were a team with a 70 yard pitch and its players said we know what a 70 yard pitch feels like and YS is smaller I could credit that. All we have is assorted players saying the smallest field in MLS feels small.

I don't understand why anyone thinks this is persuasive unless the players actually measured it. There are no other 70 yard fields in MLS. There were a few years ago but they were widened. So how the heck can they be so expert on how a 70 yard pitch plays?
If there were a team with a 70 yard pitch and its players said we know what a 70 yard pitch feels like and YS is smaller I could credit that. All we have is assorted players saying the smallest field in MLS feels small.
Supposedly, Vanney measured it last year before a game. That I can believe happened.

Reposting what I said in another thread here, by request regarding a NYCFC's future Soccer-Specific Stadium:

"I can say that what I've heard over the last few months from several sources makes me strongly believe New York City FC's soccer specific stadium will be in Long Island City, Queens. And I can say with almost 100% certainty that, in any case, the stadium will be in one of the 4 Boroughs (not SI), in an ideal spot. The latter is what I've been saying since 2013, even though most journalists, pundits, rival fans, and MLS people called me (and still call me) delusional for believing since then, and "not knowing NYC politics". But, hey... That's why I'm NostraChavez and they're not. ;-)"

And any true OG's on here will vouch for that last part, if they were actually there for that. The future is bright, Ladies and Gents. Rest easy and keep patience, because your reward is coming.

Supposedly, Vanney measured it last year before a game. That I can believe happened.
He walked it and said it was short. Did not Actually measure it.
Either way the field is too narrow, whether it's within regs or not, we need a wider field. We should widen the field and leave the pitchers mound in place since the Yankees don't want it to be constantly moved. It would be unique. Kind of like the Houston Astros with the hill in center field. Huge home field advantage.
Super smart!