• Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
"They're thinking bigger."

Has to be the parking lot where Shea Stadium stood before it was demolished.

Can I get a confirmed yes on this please?
I can give you a strong NOT HAPPENING on this one.

At least for now. There's a court case right now playing out brought by the developers who say they should be able to build there. The state and lower courts have said that because the parking lots were built on land specifically for a stadium, nothing else can go there.

Depending on how long this case drags out, nothing will be done. If the court rules against the developers then put it down as a strong possibility but right now it's a no go.

But, they're thinking bigger.

The BIGGEST location possible is Pier 40. That is the soccer mecca in the City and its unfortunately got one foot in the grave already & in desperate need of private funding to keep it from sinking. Build it there, and do it right, and there isn't another stadium in the world that would have the same cache.

ETIHAD ISLAND!

The BIGGEST location possible is Pier 40. That is the soccer mecca in the City and its unfortunately got one foot in the grave already & in desperate need of private funding to keep it from sinking. Build it there, and do it right, and there isn't another stadium in the world that would have the same cache.

Honestly, isn't Pier 40 pretty much the only possibility on Manhattan? I remember talking about Central Park suggestions (lol), the site next to the UN (too small, other development in progress), and the MSG site should something happen there. As implausible as Pier 40 is, it is miles more realistic than anything else.

It sounds to me like CFG found out the price and quality of the "cheaper" options (e.g. Bronx) and are saying, "fuck it, let's just spend the money to get what we really want." And if I remember correctly, the first location CFG wanted was Pier 40. It may have always been their dream site.

http://gothamist.com/2013/08/02/renderings_what_mls_stadium_at_pier.php#photo-1

Reactions: Ulrich
Honestly, isn't Pier 40 pretty much the only possibility on Manhattan? I remember talking about Central Park suggestions (lol), the site next to the UN (too small, other development in progress), and the MSG site should something happen there. As implausible as Pier 40 is, it is miles more realistic than anything else.

It sounds to me like CFG found out the price and quality of the "cheaper" options (e.g. Bronx) and are saying, "fuck it, let's just spend the money to get what we really want." And if I remember correctly, the first location CFG wanted was Pier 40. It may have always been their dream site.

I mean there's one site by the UN that could work. But logicstically it would be a nightmare. I'm not sure where it would be harder to build. Here or Pier 40.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/20/nyregion/prime-lot-empty-for-years-yes-this-is-manhattan.html

3 minutes since you posted this tease to The Toe The Toe without him denying.

Pier 40 confirmed!

I mean there's one site by the UN that could work. But logicstically it would be a nightmare. I'm not sure where it would be harder to build. Here or Pier 40.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/20/nyregion/prime-lot-empty-for-years-yes-this-is-manhattan.html
We discussed that site a few weeks or months ago. It's kind of a blur now. But I think we ruled it out. Either someone figured out what's planned for it or somebody did one of those RBA map overlays and it was way too small.

Is there really a meaningful distinction between Pier 40 and Etihad Island? They both involve putting the stadium where there would otherwise just be water. They're both stupid expensive. They're both potentially awesome. They're both kind of fanciful and unlikely
I'm talking
Etihad Island at Pier 40™!

Holy shit, just looked up the spot. Why DON'T we buy that spot out and build there?

Holy shit, just looked up the spot. Why DON'T we buy that spot out and build there?
It has a complicated park/commercial status, owned by a trust. It costs million$$ annually just to keep it from collapsing into the river, so the Trust has worked on potential deals with multiple commercial partners to raise the funds that would let it keep going. Everything gets super intense community opposition. Nobody in the neighborhood wants anything new and big built there.

Reactions: canchon
Reactions: NYCFCfan and Ulrich

The UN site is being prepped for another UN building, which has been given the OK to use some of the park space directly south of 42nd, so that site is a firm NO. I don't think Pier 40 is an option, like what NYCFCFan said. I don't think CFG wants to go cheap, especially if they can really work with getting property values surrounding the stadium to rise and build a big, beautiful stadium that goes up in value over time (you never know, and actually don't know much about property value), but you have to imagine that the investment in the stadium will pay off in the long run if they get their spot.

A pier or somewhere that would be accessible on foot for many Manhattanites and midtown workers would be incredible. People leaving work at 6 to walk 15-20 minutes to the stadium for some drinks, food and soccer -- we'd sell 30k tickets on a weeknight. I wish it were possible, but it doesn't sound like it.

Reactions: FootyLovin
The UN site is being prepped for another UN building, which has been given the OK to use some of the park space directly south of 42nd, so that site is a firm NO. I don't think Pier 40 is an option, like what NYCFCFan said. I don't think CFG wants to go cheap, especially if they can really work with getting property values surrounding the stadium to rise and build a big, beautiful stadium that goes up in value over time (you never know, and actually don't know much about property value), but you have to imagine that the investment in the stadium will pay off in the long run if they get their spot.

A pier or somewhere that would be accessible on foot for many Manhattanites and midtown workers would be incredible. People leaving work at 6 to walk 15-20 minutes to the stadium for some drinks, food and soccer -- we'd sell 30k tickets on a weeknight. I wish it were possible, but it doesn't sound like it.
I feel like the clue is that property values would rise. Where oh where is it really a crappy neighborhood that has depressed value?

I feel like the clue is that property values would rise. Where oh where is it really a crappy neighborhood that has depressed value?
I thought the last part about Manhattanites and midtowners was the clue... Is the answer Hudson yards?