Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think 6 to 14 years are appropriate timelines to have a new stadium. Six is the amount of years the MetroStars first announced a new stadium to the actual move in in 2010 by Red Bulls. 14 is the amount of years between the founding of the MetroStars to the move in into Red Bull Arena.

Based on those numbers that puts us anywhere from 2019 (based on the founding year of the club) to 2021 (first season) for the six year mark or 2027, 2029 for the latter 14 years.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think 6 to 14 years are appropriate timelines to have a new stadium. Six is the amount of years the MetroStars first announced a new stadium to the actual move in in 2010 by Red Bulls. 14 is the amount of years between the founding of the MetroStars to the move in into Red Bull Arena.

Based on those numbers that puts us anywhere from 2019 (based on the founding year of the club) to 2021 (first season) for the six year mark or 2027, 2029 for the latter 14 years.

It only takes 2.5 years to build a stadium once we buy the land. I would hope they buy the land in the next 2 years, that would have been 3 years of searching since Particoff took over. If 2023 is the over/under, I'll take the under.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
It only takes 2.5 years to build a stadium once we buy the land. I would hope they buy the land in the next 2 years, that would have been 3 years of searching since Particoff took over. If 2023 is the over/under, I'll take the under.
Definitely the Under. DeBlasio isn't going to be in office much longer, and then the real brown bags can be exchanged under the table.

factor in an ownership change in there, as well, which would have delayed the timeline some

The club doesn't have 6 more years to get a stadium done. I'm sorry, but Yankee Stadium is going to look like RFK on game days if we're still playing there in 2023.

The club doesn't have 6 more years to get a stadium done. I'm sorry, but Yankee Stadium is going to look like RFK on game days if we're still playing there in 2023.

I don't think so. There will be a good bump after the 2018 World Cup. My guess would be attendance falls 2-5% again next year and slowly increases after that. I mean, I'd rather not wait that long either but I think the easy accessibility of the stadium protects us from truly terrible attendance.

I don't think so. There will be a good bump after the 2018 World Cup. My guess would be attendance falls 2-5% again next year and slowly increases after that. I mean, I'd rather not wait that long either but I think the easy accessibility of the stadium protects us from truly terrible attendance.

At this point, a lot about attendance is going to depend on the quality of the team. If we can make a nice run to finish the season, I expect to see good figures.

Thinking back to the Metrostars/Red Bulls, one of my favorite MLS stadium stories involves their trying to get a deal done in Newark around the turn of the century. They wanted to be in Newark, but Newark didn't really want them, preferring to hitch their saddle to minor league baseball and the revival of the Newark Bears baseball team. Well, attendance was low, the Bears folded, and the stadium is to be torn down. Meanwhile, across the river in Harrison, Red Bull Arena and the soccer league it features is doing great.

I'm not sure the stadium has really worked out all the well for Harrison. Due to the financial crisis none or almost none of the rest of the proposed development got built. Without that additional tax revenue the city is struggling to pay its stadium related debt. To make matters worse, the Red Bulls have sued to avoid paying their own taxes to the city.

I'm not sure the stadium has really worked out all the well for Harrison. Due to the financial crisis none or almost none of the rest of the proposed development got built. Without that additional tax revenue the city is struggling to pay its stadium related debt. To make matters worse, the Red Bulls have sued to avoid paying their own taxes to the city.

They are building additional/improved infrastructure around the arena.

I've been there before. It's a beautiful stadium for what it is - not a ton of amenities, but a nice place to see a game.

My issue is that you park on an abandoned infield or crack den. Those are your choices. It's not inviting. They do a TERRIFIC job on game days. We could learn something from them there.

Reactions: Lasker
They are building additional/improved infrastructure around the arena.

I've been there before. It's a beautiful stadium for what it is - not a ton of amenities, but a nice place to see a game.

My issue is that you park on an abandoned infield or crack den. Those are your choices. It's not inviting. They do a TERRIFIC job on game days. We could learn something from them there.

I look forward to going there for the first time on the 24th! My comments weren't about the stadium itself but whether it has been a good deal for the city. I don't know enough to say for sure (and there is still time for it to come good even if it hasn't) but there are, at minumum, reasons to be skeptical.

I look forward to going there for the first time on the 24th! My comments weren't about the stadium itself but whether it has been a good deal for the city. I don't know enough to say for sure (and there is still time for it to come good even if it hasn't) but there are, at minumum, reasons to be skeptical.

Probably an awful deal for the city.

The stadium itself is rather bland. Offers no character or charm. The amenities are minimal but the game day atmosphere by the club is great. Once you get inside, you realize how cheap they were in terms of offerings.

Reactions: Lasker
Newark sucks. The Devils will move out of there eventually. NJ keeps trying to make Newark into something it's not. The crime and murder rate there is terrible considering the size. Harrison isn't some up and coming downtown either. They should have put RBA in the meadowlands. Also, if the American Dream project ever gets completed a SSS would have been a perfect anchor.

NJ isn't really easier to build..especially in the Harrison, Newark area. I'm shocked it even got built. The mafia still runs that area...and they still run the unions and politicians. Nothing gets built in that area without their involvement.

John Oliver did a great special on city funded stadiums. Shows you how it almost never works out in the cities favor. At least with the newer ones.

Reactions: Kjbert and Jack