Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
If you think we are obsessed with the lack of visible progress on our new stadium, go check http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/19/atlanta-join-eastern-conference-2017-minnesota-compete-west

Instead, the first comment on the article, with 37 upvotes and 50 follow-on comments says:
"nycfc should be given a deadline to build a proper stadium or get kicked out"

What the literally fuck?!
Ask a random US soccer fan what he or she had for breakfast, and there's like a 50% chance they'll answer by mentioning Pro-Rel or the Yankee Stadium soccer field. The article isn't even about the Minnesota stadium. It's about the conference assignments. That's obsession. At least this is our team.

As a guy who freely admits to spending far too much time playing on a computer, I've always been of the opinion that collectively, soccer fans are the biggest group of idiots on the internet. Having this in mind has made my surfing into various soccer web pages somewhat more palatable.

There is so much stupid in those replies I wouldn't even know where to start, but I will say this. Warts and all, I'm willing to wager players prefer to play on the grass surface on the Yankee Stadium field as compared to those toxic wastes sites in Seattle, Portland, New England, Vancouver, etc.....

I can't recall who it was last night in Seattle, but a Portland player (Chara?) got up off the field after being injured and his face had a lot of those rubber pellets stuck to his face. Yeah, no health risk there on one of those authentic, non-organic, non-grassroots fields. :rolleyes:

P.S. If you go back to that thread, that's my thumbs up to your reply. ;)

It's been a rumor for quite some time. It makes 1000x more sense than crappy Shuart, especially if they can cover up the dirt colored (it's turf, just painted brown instead of green) baseball infield. Shuart is the worst thing to ever happen to the Cosmos, they never stood a chance at being legitimate while playing there. MCU is not a great venue for soccer, but it is better in just about every way. No LAX and football lines on the field. Significantly better public transit, more stuff to do around the venue, and no beer restrictions.
They should do much better, but the capacity is only like 7k I believe.

It's been a rumor for quite some time. It makes 1000x more sense than crappy Shuart, especially if they can cover up the dirt colored (it's turf, just painted brown instead of green) baseball infield. Shuart is the worst thing to ever happen to the Cosmos, they never stood a chance at being legitimate while playing there. MCU is not a great venue for soccer, but it is better in just about every way. No LAX and football lines on the field. Significantly better public transit, more stuff to do around the venue, and no beer restrictions.
They should do much better, but the capacity is only like 7k I believe.
They were drawing at or below 3k last I checked so I don't think that would be an issue. Might even go up given that it's more accessible because of the subway. Though it's far as hell from Manhattan, like 50 minutes - an hour away.

Reactions: Kjbert and 413Blue
They were drawing at or below 3k last I checked so I don't think that would be an issue. Might even go up given that it's more accessible because of the subway. Though it's far as hell from Manhattan, like 50 minutes - an hour away.
But if i'm not mistaken, it at least has direct Subway access, so it's only a few bucks to get out there. Shuart needed a transfer to LIRR, then a shuttle and I think cost over $15 to get out there.

Reactions: Kjbert
I will never go out and see a game there.

That being said, if there was an NASL or USL squad up here in Westchester or Fairfield County, I would probably buy season tickets. More soccer is a good thing, especially when it is readily available.

Reactions: Goodfella
This move will buy the Cosmos a few more years I think. But I'm still very intrigued by the rumors of a group of NASL teams ready to move to USL if they're granted D2 status.

Somethings gotta break in the NASL sooner than later - either positively or negatively.

In May of last year, the Cosmos defeated the Ottawa Fury 1-0 in front of 5,279 fans at MCU Park. Citing the success of that match, the Cosmos hosted their November playoff semifinal at the home of the Brooklyn Cyclones as well.

Success of that match?

So the marquee team in the North American Soccer League (and for that matter the entire North American continent :rolleyes: ) gets a tad over 5K to a game and even less to a championship semi-final match, and they're citing that as some sort of success?

This is why the Cosmos and the NASL continue to be a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
Success of that match?

So the marquee team in the North American Soccer League (and for that matter the entire North American continent :rolleyes: ) gets a tad over 5K to a game and even less to a championship semi-final match, and they're citing that as some sort of success?

This is why the Cosmos and the NASL continues to be a joke.
But it's organic AND grassroots. Not petro-dollars buying a dormant failed brand to move some money around.

Reactions: Gene

That being said, if there was an NASL or USL squad up here in Westchester or Fairfield County, I would probably buy season tickets. More soccer is a good thing, especially when it is readily available.
same.

Reactions: Kjbert
Yankees ask for $1 billion in tax exempt bonds.

http://thenycfcnation.sportsblog.co...quests--1-04-billion-in-tax-exempt-bonds.html

TL;DR - The Yankees say they want to use some of the money to help refinance their old bonds, but also say they'll create 2k new jobs with the money. I don't think they're hiring a 2k new accountants or tax attorneys. Sound the hype klaxons.

But in all seriousness, while there's no big red text saying "STADIUM INCOMING" when the part owners ask for $1 billion in bonds, I think it's worth discussing.

The NYC IDA is where big businesses go to ask the city for help in acquiring land and/or construction of a large project. The caveat being it has to benefit the city in upwards of $1 million and provide jobs to New Yorkers. So this isn't where your local bodega will go because they want to put in a new fridge, this is where the Yankees went to the first time to get their stadium money. I'm cautiously optimistic this means something, though you guys can all go to the public hearing and quiz them about it yourselves.

From the article:
"The notice also lists under projected jobs: 2,647 full time equivalent jobs. Yankee Stadium currently employs 4,047 people, the old Yankee Stadium employed 2,447."

This generates 2 thoughts:
1) The person who wrote the proposal either went to Pomona College, is a huge Star Trek fan, or both.
2) I wonder if there could be a "saved or created" rationale to the 2,647 projected jobs.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
This move will buy the Cosmos a few more years I think. But I'm still very intrigued by the rumors of a group of NASL teams ready to move to USL if they're granted D2 status.

Somethings gotta break in the NASL sooner than later - either positively or negatively.

Good post. USL probably will get Tier 2 Status, leaving no Tier 3 league in the USA. The NASL will not get on board with USL because it is in direct competition thanks to the links to MLS.

I think the NASL doesn't exist in 5 years. I have no clue what the Cosmos, Miami FC or SF Deltas will do then, but I think the league will go.

The USL is managed better and MLS is willing to help it along.

Reactions: adam

I think we should put our USL team somewhere along a MetroNorth line. Yonkers, White Plains, Greenwich, Stamford, even New Haven. With the training facilities in Rockland County, and the eventual stadium likely in Manhattan/Bronx/North Queens, it'll give some level of concentration of the three main locations yet give the USL team some room to establish it's own local community involvement.

I think we should put our USL team somewhere along a MetroNorth line. Yonkers, White Plains, Greenwich, Stamford, even New Haven. With the training facilities in Rockland County, and the eventual stadium likely in Manhattan/Bronx/North Queens, it'll give some level of concentration of the three main locations yet give the USL team some room to establish it's own local community involvement.
Tarrytown FC has a nice ring to it & immediately indicates it's our junior club by playing on it's intrinsic name.