Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Isn't populous doing the new Spurs stadium that will basically have 2 interchangeable playing surfaces for EPL / NFL? Could be on to something with that YS reno theory.

Like KG said "anything is possible" but the Yankees just dont care. They want us gone, plus we need a bigger stadium, cant really grow the field.

Reactions: adam
I come to this thread for the first time in a while and see 4 new pages...oh boy oh boy...

I then read the news about the Yankees $1B in bonds...OH BOY OH BOY

And then read four pages about the Cosmos and the NASL. What a let down.
Rinse.Wash.Repeat

But seriously, get used to it. It's the natural rhythm of this thread!

It may still go away.

This has been brought up before, but you have to wonder if we will go with a wider field once baseball season is over at the end of September. My guess is "no" as we are now used to the smaller surface and playing well on it, but it's a possibility. At minimum, the grass covering the infield will have time to really come together.

This has been brought up before, but you have to wonder if we will go with a wider field once baseball season is over at the end of September. My guess is "no" as we are now used to the smaller surface and playing well on it, but it's a possibility. At minimum, the grass covering the infield will have time to really come together.

Unlikely. It would most likely be a change for next season.

Reactions: Ulrich
Unlikely. It would most likely be a change for next season.

Once baseball is done, there is no reason to keep the mound, and I think there is a CFB game in November, so at some point they will be taking it out anyway. Still, I agree that we will probably stick to what we are familiar with.

Once baseball is done, there is no reason to keep the mound, and I think there is a CFB game in November, so at some point they will be taking it out anyway. Still, I agree that we will probably stick to what we are familiar with.

Ah, yes. The Pinstripe Bowl is in December. Could be an interesting trial run. I would prefer they keep the mojo unaffected this season though.

I believe it was mentioned that the issue wasn't the pitchers mound, but the corners. There isn't any room for widening at the corners.

This would only apply to one home game and the playoffs. Not really worth it IMHO.

I believe it was mentioned that the issue wasn't the pitchers mound, but the corners. There isn't any room for widening at the corners.
I was thinking about this at the game on saturday. I think that there is some room, but is it really worth it? How much width could we actually get?

Regardless of what they do with the mound, having the sod down over the in field should improve things considerably. Although at times I'm starting to wonder if our players have figure out how to move without slipping as often on that section of the pitch and it's slowly becoming an advantage that catches the other team off guard.

The issue is the pitchers mound. There have been friendlies at Yankee Stadium with the wider field over the pitchers mound.

NY%20Stadium%20soccer.png

For comparison:
capaci-20160315165123.jpg
Look closely at the corner of the box between 1st/2nd base. I'd swear it's closer to the mound in the first picture, and in this one it's more in the middle of the infield dirt. The distance between the corner of the box and the sideline look about the same. Not sure if it's an optical illusion or the field really is laid in a slightly different position.

Look closely at the corner of the box between 1st/2nd base. I'd swear it's closer to the mound in the first picture, and in this one it's more in the middle of the infield dirt. The distance between the corner of the box and the sideline look about the same. Not sure if it's an optical illusion or the field really is laid in a slightly different position.
I think the field is tilted more towards centerfield because the flag in the right field corner is on one side of the pole in one picture and on the other side in the second.

Reactions: Ulrich
It looks like the field might be slightly shorter than what we play on. Here is another angle from a different friendly. Doesn't our field go all the way to the seats behind the first base line?

overheadshotyankeestadiumpsgchelsea.jpg

EDIT:

Here you go. It's obvious that the field is rotated a bit for the friendly match. But because of that the length is shortened. Can't see us sacrificing length for width #thatswhatshesaid

nycfcweb29s-web.jpg

Last edited:
I would prefer that the field play narrow vs. the alternative. It's more Mickey Mouse to play a short field.

Reactions: SFphoto