Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Good post. USL probably will get Tier 2 Status, leaving no Tier 3 league in the USA. The NASL will not get on board with USL because it is in direct competition thanks to the links to MLS.

I think the NASL doesn't exist in 5 years. I have no clue what the Cosmos, Miami FC or SF Deltas will do then, but I think the league will go.

The USL is managed better and MLS is willing to help it along.

They could be done, and done fast. Pessimistic timeline prediction:

2016/17 - USL granted D2 status
2017 - Chicago NASL goes on hold due to continued lack of viable stadium deal
2017/18 - Rayo OKC folds
2017/18 - New York Islanders receive approval to build new stadium at Belmont Park
2017/18 - Canadian Premier League (CPL) officially announced, will begin play in 2019 with Ottawa
2018 - Jacksonville, Indy, Carolina, and Tampa announce plans to move from NASL to USL for the 2019 season.
2018 - Edmonton announces move from NASL to CPL for 2019.
2019 - Cosmos, Miami FC, Ft. Lauderdale, Puerto Rico, and San Francisco announce the NASL will not play the 2019 season; league folds.

I'll set the over/under at 3.5 more seasons of NASL. Revise down to 2.5 if USL gets D2 status by end of 2016. I'm expecting that mass exodus of teams that want to exist at all costs (rather than the ideological organizations like the Cosmos and Miami FC) extremely soon after.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this is the stadium thread.

2020 - NYCFC announces stadium deal!
2025 - NYCFC plays first game in new stadium on 10th anniversary of team's first game ever

or the NASL can "merge" with the best NPSL teams ready to go pro and be a "third Division" or something like that....I mean NPSL has that "partnership" with NASL

They could be done, and done fast. Pessimistic timeline prediction:

2016/17 - USL granted D2 status
2017 - Chicago NASL goes on hold due to continued lack of viable stadium deal
2017/18 - Rayo OKC folds
2017/18 - New York Islanders receive approval to build new stadium at Belmont Park
2017/18 - Canadian Premier League (CPL) officially announced, will begin play in 2019 with Ottawa
2018 - Jacksonville, Indy, Carolina, and Tampa announce plans to move from NASL to USL for the 2019 season.
2018 - Edmonton announces move from NASL to CPL for 2019.
2019 - Cosmos, Miami FC, Ft. Lauderdale, Puerto Rico, and San Francisco announce the NASL will not play the 2019 season; league folds.

I'll set the over/under at 3.5 more seasons of NASL. Revise down to 2.5 if USL gets D2 status by end of 2016. I'm expecting that mass exodus of teams that want to exist at all costs (rather than the ideological organizations like the Cosmos and Miami FC) extremely soon after.
Haven't you heard, Miami is the southernmost part of Canada.....

But seriously, if Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto, can be part of MLS, then there's nothing stopping the Canadian Premier League from having US-based markets.

Reactions: Kjbert
Haven't you heard, Miami is the southernmost part of Canada.....

But seriously, if Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto, can be part of MLS, then there's nothing stopping the Canadian Premier League from having US-based markets.

I think that's kind of against what the CPL is about though. I doubt they *want* Miami or any other US city.

I also don't think Miami or the Cosmos would want to play in a Canadian league. They exist to prove that independent clubs in a pro/reg system is a superior model no matter the context and appear to have a "world-class or bust" mentality when it comes to their goals. It just isn't going to happen for them in the NASL (or CPL) and they don't want to be in MLS, so there's no path forward for them.

I think that's kind of against what the CPL is about though. I doubt they *want* Miami or any other US city.

I also don't think Miami or the Cosmos would want to play in a Canadian league. They exist to prove that independent clubs in a pro/reg system is a superior model no matter the context and appear to have a "world-class or bust" mentality when it comes to their goals. It just isn't going to happen for them in the NASL (or CPL) and they don't want to be in MLS, so there's no path forward for them.
Oh I fully understand that the point of the CPL is to further the Canadian game and player pool, but if MLS has their big 3 cities, leaving Edmonton and Ottowa, how many other cities are really going to field teams outside of Hamilton (listed on Wiki page)? Doesn't FIFA say a league needs minimum 8 teams?

Oh I fully understand that the point of the CPL is to further the Canadian game and player pool, but if MLS has their big 3 cities, leaving Edmonton and Ottowa, how many other cities are really going to field teams outside of Hamilton (listed on Wiki page)? Doesn't FIFA say a league needs minimum 8 teams?

The rumors state there will be teams in Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec, and a team in the Maritimes as the founding eight. Previous rumors had all the CFL teams on board, which could mean CPL teams in Winnipeg and Regina as well. http://midfieldpress.com/2016/07/05...xpansion-canadian-premier-league-news-rumors/

Trying to squint through the smoke, it seems to me like there is internal disagreement among investors as to the goals of the league. They were making progress up until it came out that they were going to steer clear of MLS cities (sans the Greater Toronto Area). I'll speculate that didn't sit well with some investors, who were envisioning a near-MLS competition, while avoiding the top markets would signal a clear second tier league.

We'll see what happens. I don't think a CPL would ever compete with MLS, which will always be home to the top soccer teams in the US and Canada. But the rest of the CPL markets are on par with the strong NASL/USL markets and it would be great to see more strong second tier soccer.

Way off topic here, sorry.

Reactions: Ulrich
It's been a rumor for quite some time. It makes 1000x more sense than crappy Shuart, especially if they can cover up the dirt colored (it's turf, just painted brown instead of green) baseball infield. Shuart is the worst thing to ever happen to the Cosmos, they never stood a chance at being legitimate while playing there. MCU is not a great venue for soccer, but it is better in just about every way. No LAX and football lines on the field. Significantly better public transit, more stuff to do around the venue, and no beer restrictions.
They should do much better, but the capacity is only like 7k I believe.

I thought this was interesting: http://www.empireofsoccer.com/cosmos-exploring-alternatives-to-shuart-stadium-in-2017-47520/
However, the team’s search for a new venue in the near future has received an assist from an unlikely sourse — NASL expansion side Rayo OKC. The newcomer has implemented a relatively new turf system at its home facility that allows them to cover up unsightly American football lines for gamedays and also provides a better playing surface than the one already installed.

“I spoke to [Rayo OKC Managing Partner Brad Lund] about it, he said he liked it very much, league officials have said the same,” Stover said. “I’ve talked to players that have played on it and some of them have said it’s among the best synthetic fields they’ve ever played on, and they were very concerned and skeptical going into it.”

The system in question is from a Canadian company called Nexxfield, and it allows teams to lay rectangular panels of artificial turf on top of an existing surface. The panels are connected using a system of Velcro strips. As hard as that last point may be to believe, the Nexxfield does meet or exceed many of the requirements from FIFA for artificial surfaces.

The feasibility of Nexxfield is something that Stover says the Cosmos will be researching closely over the year as they determine their next move, but it’s already opened up sites that previously seemed to be non-starters, such as their current training facility Mitchell Field or even Fordham University’s facility.

Maybe they are looking to put something like this on top of MCU Park?

Has the possibility of a modification to Yankee Stadium been discussed? I just heard about that new bond and for some reason it made me consider that maybe YS could be a permanent home.

Reactions: Goodfella and adam
Has the possibility of a modification to Yankee Stadium been discussed? I just heard about that new bond and for some reason it made me consider that maybe YS could be a permanent home.
Intriguing, but I think they might need to wait another 3 years or so before announcing that a SSS is not feasible to convince everyone they really tried.
That's aside from the design and engineering challenges.

Intriguing, but I think they might need to wait another 3 years or so before announcing that a SSS is not feasible to convince everyone they really tried.
That's aside from the design and engineering challenges.
And yet in the next movie rendition, we will find out that Yankee Stadium is a Decepticon that can convert from round, open-air, baseball stadium, to canopied, rectilinear, soccer stadium, to evil, living robot designed to consume city bonds.

Because the location of YS is so amazing, I would not be upset if they were able to make some quality improvements to Yankee Stadium. Maybe do something like they used to do at Candlestic for Football/Baseball, put in a new level of seating going from the 200 level of seats in the right field corner, all the way across center field, covering the bullpens and monument park. That way we have quality seats right up against the field on the TV side. If they did that, and it looked good on TV, I would really have very little to complain about Yankee Stadium. The location is going to be very hard for us to beat, plus it's a fcuking $1billion+ stadium!
upload_2016-8-22_21-11-25.jpegupload_2016-8-22_21-11-38.jpeg
upload_2016-8-22_21-12-37.jpeg
In the Yankee Stadium picture, that temporary seating could be set-up against the 200 sections in right field and go over and cover the Batter's eye. These seats would go right up to the pitch and the benches would be moved to the opposite side of the field. The supporter's would be able to stay where they are, and only the bleachers and a few sections in the right field corner would be impacted. This would make it look 1,000x better on tv and it would create more higher priced seats.
If they expect this arrangement to go more than a few years, they better go ahead and do something like this.

*I know Candlestick was an absolute dump so it may not be the best stadium to compare to, but the general idea is perfect.

Last edited:
Because the location of YS is so amazing, I would not be upset if they were able to make some quality improvements to Yankee Stadium. Maybe do something like they used to do at Candlestic for Football/Baseball, put in a new level of seating going from the 200 level of seats in the right field corner, all the way across center field, covering the bullpens and monument park. That way we have quality seats right up against the field on the TV side. If they did that, and it looked good on TV, I would really have very little to complain about Yankee Stadium. The location is going to be very hard for us to beat, plus it's a fcuking $1billion+ stadium!
View attachment 5607View attachment 5608
View attachment 5609
In the Yankee Stadium picture, that temporary seating could be set-up against the 200 sections in right field and go over and cover the Batter's eye. These seats would go right up to the pitch and the benches would be moved to the opposite side of the field. The supporter's would be able to stay where they are, and only the bleachers and a few sections in the right field corner would be impacted. This would make it look 1,000x better on tv and it would create more higher priced seats.
If they expect this arrangement to go more than a few years, they better go ahead and do something like this.

*I know Candlestick was an absolute dump so it may not be the best stadium to compare to, but the general idea is perfect.

Yankee Stadium was originally going to have the pitchers mound removed then before we started to play that changed. This would be a massive undertaking.

And where would us Pitchsiders seat?

Last edited:
The Cosmos

Yankee Stadium was originally going to have the pitchers mound removed then before we started to play that changed. This would be a massive undertaking.

And where would us Pitchsiders seat?
If the team benches would be moved across the field, I would guess the pitchside would be moved as well? Or, since these new seats would be right up against the pitch, put some premium club access seats up front at midfield?

View attachment 5607View attachment 5608
View attachment 5609

Seating like that would be a big problem to take apart/erect in our 3-day grace period that our pin-striped landlords give us.

I know we all want a stadium sooner rather than later but aside from the design and location, I'd definitely food choice as a major request for many fans. Yankee Stadium is just not good when it comes to food despite the new additions this year.

Isn't populous doing the new Spurs stadium that will basically have 2 interchangeable playing surfaces for EPL / NFL? Could be on to something with that YS reno theory.

Seating like that would be a big problem to take apart/erect in our 3-day grace period that our pin-striped landlords give us.
I did a quick look back to 1998, and both of the 49ers September home games were 3 days from a Giants home game. If the Yankees and City are ambitious, they could get it done. I would imagine putting up seats would be less difficult (although more expensive) than making changes to the playing surface.

Although if I remember correctly, the 49ers played with the dirt on the field, but I don't see erecting the temp seating as having any impact on doing the field changeover. They could probably do the seats in two days.