Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I would think building a tunnel to connect the #1 to Red Hook is only slightly more plausible than Etihad Island.
I'd think it would be far less expensive to extend one of the lines that are already in downtown Brooklyn. Court Street/Jay Street/Borough Hall have I think 7 different train lines in the area. Or maybe add a spur to the F line at Carroll Street for one or two stops to Ikea Stadium. That might actually be the easiest and least disruptive method.

I'd think it would be far less expensive to extend one of the lines that are already in downtown Brooklyn. Court Street/Jay Street/Borough Hall have I think 7 different train lines in the area. Or maybe add a spur to the F line at Carroll Street for one or two stops to Ikea Stadium. That might actually be the easiest and least disruptive method.
The difference between the two is that extending from downtown Brooklyn requires digging entirely underground, and we've seen how slow that is with the 2nd avenue line, whereas another tunnel under the river isn't actually tunneling under the riverbed, but rather sinking precast sections of tube to the floor of the river (laymen's description as its a bit more involved) and then connecting each end to dug tunnels. It wouldn't be cheap, but it'd be faster and easier than the downtown extension, and that will translate to comparative savings.

The difference between the two is that extending from downtown Brooklyn requires digging entirely underground, and we've seen how slow that is with the 2nd avenue line, whereas another tunnel under the river isn't actually tunneling under the riverbed, but rather sinking precast sections of tube to the floor of the river (laymen's description as its a bit more involved) and then connecting each end to dug tunnels. It wouldn't be cheap, but it'd be faster and easier than the downtown extension, and that will translate to comparative savings.
Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. But is that something the MTA does? I think all their other tunnels were made with those huge bore machines.

Faster and easier you say? How long have they been working on that east side access tunnel??? And when is the latest completion date for it???

It'll never work as Ikea wouldn't allow us to have weekend day games. Can't have all those soccer fans preventing the shoppers with their new Billy bookcases from getting on the train. Could get ugly.

But we could also serve horse-meatballs at the stadium concessions. I hear those are delish!

Faster and easier you say? How long have they been working on that east side access tunnel??? And when is the latest completion date for it???
Yeah, faster and easier. Look at the diagram of the east side access tunnel - both sides of the river have extensively long amounts of burrowing underground (not underwater).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side_Access

It's a mile just on the Manhattan side. Can't tell on the queens side but if accurately scaled it's the same - comparatively,very little is in the river.

To extend the subway from South Ferry to Redhook is almost entirely in the water if it's a single stop (not sure of their exact concept). Once at RedHook, they again could do it with minimal burrowing depending on where they want to have the station (connect from the water at the closest shore point). My guess is that if they go through this trouble, they'd want more than a single stop, but there would be ways to minimize the work with the layout while maximizing the footprint served. The length of Redhook is less than a mile, but the distance from downtown to the end of Redhook is about 2.5 miles by way of the roads, and the tunnels would have to follow the roads otherwise existing buildings' foundations could be undermined.

Reactions: adam
Yeah, faster and easier. Look at the diagram of the east side access tunnel - both sides of the river have extensively long amounts of burrowing underground (not underwater).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side_Access

It's a mile just on the Manhattan side. Can't tell on the queens side but if accurately scaled it's the same - comparatively,very little is in the river.

To extend the subway from South Ferry to Redhook is almost entirely in the water if it's a single stop (not sure of their exact concept). Once at RedHook, they again could do it with minimal burrowing depending on where they want to have the station (connect from the water at the closest shore point). My guess is that if they go through this trouble, they'd want more than a single stop, but there would be ways to minimize the work with the layout while maximizing the footprint served. The length of Redhook is less than a mile, but the distance from downtown to the end of Redhook is about 2.5 miles by way of the roads, and the tunnels would have to follow the roads otherwise existing buildings' foundations could be undermined.

Ok, I'll give you the point that it's easier. But by how much? The east side access started in 1968 and won't be ready till 2022 (maybe). And what's going on with that 2nd avenue line? My point is if we are waiting for the city to build a new subway line to make our stadium location work, we could be waiting a very very long time.

Reactions: Kjbert
Ok, I'll give you the point that it's easier. But by how much? The east side access started in 1968 and won't be ready till 2022 (maybe). And what's going on with that 2nd avenue line? My point is if we are waiting for the city to build a new subway line to make our stadium location work, we could be waiting a very very long time.
I can't begin to tell you how much faster because that's not what I do for a living, but from a conceptual and scope standpoint, I can tell you with confidence that it's faster by a good deal.

I'm not saying I agree with extending either, but if it's going to be done, sink the tunnel, don't dig the tunnel.

I can't begin to tell you how much faster because that's not what I do for a living, but from a conceptual and scope standpoint, I can tell you with confidence that it's faster by a good deal.

I'm not saying I agree with extending either, but if it's going to be done, sink the tunnel, don't dig the tunnel.

Just sink the stadium. That only takes us back to page 150 or so.

image.jpeg

Short interview with Jon Patricof in Crain's NY (Head of NYCFC wants to find his team a permanent home in the five boroughs). Not surprisingly, no substantive update:

Any update on the search for a stadium site?
We are working on it daily in some way, shape or form. It’s a very active process, but there’s nothing new to report.

What’s your ideal vision for NYCFC 10 years out?
I’d expect us to be in our own home in the five boroughs, and to continue playing in packed stadiums. The mayor said it very well: New York loves winners and loves champions, and we expect and are committed to be that for soccer in New York.​

Short interview with Jon Patricof in Crain's NY (Head of NYCFC wants to find his team a permanent home in the five boroughs). Not surprisingly, no substantive update:

Any update on the search for a stadium site?
We are working on it daily in some way, shape or form. It’s a very active process, but there’s nothing new to report.

What’s your ideal vision for NYCFC 10 years out?
I’d expect us to be in our own home in the five boroughs, and to continue playing in packed stadiums. The mayor said it very well: New York loves winners and loves champions, and we expect and are committed to be that for soccer in New York.​

WOW. Much different than what he said on CNBC last year. Last year he said "we will" be in a stadium within 5 years. Now he is saying he expects to be in a stadium within 10 years. Not good. No bueno

Reactions: danger and adam
WOW. Much different than what he said on CNBC last year. Last year he said "we will" be in a stadium within 5 years. Now he is saying he expects to be in a stadium within 10 years. Not good. No bueno

Well, the interviewer is the one who brought up the 10 year period, and Patricof just said that 10 years from now we should be in our own stadium, which doesn't preclude being in our own stadium in 5 years.

Well, the interviewer is the one who brought up the 10 year period, and Patricof just said that 10 years from now we should be in our own stadium, which doesn't preclude being in our own stadium in 5 years.
agreed. Question could just as easily been where do you see in 5 years and same answer provided. I'm confident the team will be in their own digs by then

Reactions: Christopher Jee