Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
YS isn't awful as a temporary venue for the actual game watching experience, but for the love of all that is good, they need a complete revamp of their concessions - when compared to CitiField and Barclays Center, YS is the equivalent of the slop orphanage kids were served during the Great Depression while those other venues offer the equivalent of white linen style options.

The chicken bucket shouldn't be the best option simply because it's affordable on a cost/ratio basis, it should be the lowest (pragmatic) option with much more/better to choose from.

I couldn't agree with this more. Yankee Stadium food is disgraceful.

That said, what Yankee Stadium gives us is very valuable. We have a very good place to play, and that gives the team the freedom to pursue the best possible options. Wherever we end up, we are going to be there for 20-40 years. Proceeding carefully and correctly is paramount. Better that we slow things down for a couple of years than rush into something that's a second or third-rate option. Yankee Stadium gives us the luxury to proceed at the right pace and get a great home venue.

That said, what Yankee Stadium gives us is very valuable. We have a very good place to play, and that gives the team the freedom to pursue the best possible options. Wherever we end up, we are going to be there for 20-40 years. Proceeding carefully and correctly is paramount. Better that we slow things down for a couple of years than rush into something that's a second or third-rate option. Yankee Stadium gives us the luxury to proceed at the right pace and get a great home venue.

I really cannot believe how naive people on here who actually think we are getting a stadium in the metro area. Does anyone have any verifiable facts or stories to post that state we will have a stadium? And how about this 5 year phenomenon? Politically it's not happening. Unless the next administration has different priorities. This comical thread is more of a fantasy land at the moment.

I really cannot believe how naive people on here who actually think we are getting a stadium in the metro area. Does anyone have any verifiable facts or stories to post that state we will have a stadium? And how about this 5 year phenomenon? Politically it's not happening. Unless the next administration has different priorities. This comical thread is more of a fantasy land at the moment.
if we had won the Houston game, The Toe would have provided mad facts.

I mean, if you're willing to ignore the fact that the team had a deal set with the city to build in the Bronx back in 2013 before it was scrapped. Then yeah no, definitely no story to link it.

I guess if you want to ignore statements made by the team president, GM, and CFG board members about wanting to be in a SSS within NYC too (within 5 years of launch), then yeah no one has really stated it.

No way a stadium is built especially since the mayor is riding high waves of popularity and definitely doesn't need a big project to point to. I mean, especially given how successful the parking lots are, you know the same ones where the team had a plan to build in 2013. Why would they even want to mess with that really profitable company?

I guess it is a fantasy after all. Mods shut it all down!

The NYCFC Forums Disciplinary Committee has given you a one year suspension for violent conduct.

soccer.gif

Still pissed off about Mendoza.

To be fair though, the point was exciting enough. I told Ulrich Ulrich everything I could remember after the game.
Ulrich Ulrich over to you. A lot of bucks getting passed here
I wasn't sure if I was allowed to say he told me, but DeGrozz DeGrozz did (and I have no reason to doubt him or The Toe 's info).

I'm also not even sure if I'm allowed to give details.... but I'll say it all seemed valid based on info that has creeped its way to the public realm. For what it's worth, the team hasn't been sitting on its hands, and it is/was definitely looking for location value/cache.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure if I was allowed to say he told me, but DeGrozz DeGrozz he did (and I have no reason to doubt him or The Toe 's info).

I'm also not even sure if I'm allowed to give details.... but I'll say it all seemed valid based on info that has creeped its way to the public realm. For what it's worth, the team hasn't been sitting on its hands, and it is/was definitely looking for location value/cache.

We're in the playoffs now, so let's celebrate with some info. I won't give the source of this information, but as Ulrich said, it's legit. All of this info is current as of the Spring, I'm sure a lot has happened since then, we just don't have the connection anymore to get that info.

Here are the biggest bullet points that I remember off the top of my head (The Toe, @ Ulrich, if I didn't mention something you thought important, feel free to add it)

- The LIC and Fresh Direct site were not in consideration by the team.
- The main architecture firm that people expect/want to do the design hadn't yet started.
- The GAL site wasn't really in play this spring, the MTA would likely allow modifications to their infrastructure if the club paid for it, but it'd have to go through significant borough/neighborhood approvals, which hadn't yet been planned.
- The Toe has said 'Think Bigger' several times. The club really wants to be in Manhattan, which is why Columbia was so enticing. As of the time the info ran dry, that was the front runner.
- The disaster situation mentioned earlier in this thread was the push by the city to have a shared stadium with the Cosmos. That's not happening... phew!

As of half a year ago, the news was 'I hope you like your seats at Yankee Stadium, because there's nothing happening in the immediate future.'

- The LIC and Fresh Direct site were not in consideration by the team.

Not shocking, the connection was tenuous at best. Site still seems viable, maybe they should go back and explore it.

- The main architecture firm that people expect/want to do the design hadn't yet started.

Also not surprising, our stadium will be highly dependent on the geography of the site.

- The GAL site wasn't really in play this spring, the MTA would likely allow modifications to their infrastructure if the club paid for it, but it'd have to go through significant borough/neighborhood approvals, which hadn't yet been planned.

There must be some unpublished reason yet why this Bronx site has fallen so far out of favor. Some speculated the GAL owner jacked up his price thru the roof, but that was never confirmed at all. I thought the most likely reason was haggling with the city over tax breaks / parking garage debt. But if they're just waiting around for a new Mayor and better deal, they could be preparing a lot of the leg work like stadium design. Doesn't seem like they're doing that.

- The Toe has said 'Think Bigger' several times. The club really wants to be in Manhattan, which is why Columbia was so enticing. As of the time the info ran dry, that was the front runner.

This is silly. They want to be in Manhattan just to say they're in Manhattan? Both the GAL site and something like the Fresh Direct site are miles better than Inwood.

This is by far the scariest part. If we want this done anytime soon, they're going to have to compromise with the city, maybe *a lot*. The only way this gets done is if we find a reasonable location and pay an extortionate amount of money. The coast is going to be below sea level before a Manhattan site opens up.

- The disaster situation mentioned earlier in this thread was the push by the city to have a shared stadium with the Cosmos. That's not happening... phew!

Honestly, who cares? If it gets us a stadium, it's worth it. Unless they were trying to push us to Belmont, or Aqueduct*. Then nah.

*Btw I really think the Cosmos should be shifting gears to Aqueduct. Wide open parking lot ready for development, out in Long Island yet on a subway line. Tone their expectations down (12k initial size or something) and sell it as a major mixed use development, not just a huge (empty) soccer stadium. But I digress.

EDIT: This is what the Cosmos's need: http://www.crocketteers.com/2012/06/01/scorpions-stadium-plans-updated-with-less-phases/

Not a silly 20k+ seater from the get go.

As of half a year ago, the news was 'I hope you like your seats at Yankee Stadium, because there's nothing happening in the immediate future.'

Yup.

Last edited:

Inwood isn't the answer and there isn't a place in Manhattan other than Columbia in Inwood for a football stadium. Unless we're talking as crazy as Etihad Island and NYCFC gets the land of the Post Office next to Madison Square Garden. Let's throw Central Park into that conversation because it's as crazy.

Maybe we'll be at Yankee Stadium until soccer is so popular in the United States and some land in New York is still not redeveloped that we get it and build a Camp Nou on Manhattan Island.

Not shocking, the connection was tenuous at best. Site still seems viable, maybe they should go back and explore it.

Also not surprising, our stadium will be highly dependent on the geography of the site.

There must be some unpublished reason yet why this Bronx site has fallen so far out of favor. Some speculated the GAL owner jacked up his price thru the roof, but that was never confirmed at all. I thought the most likely reason was haggling with the city over tax breaks / parking garage debt. But if they're just waiting around for a new Mayor and better deal, they could be preparing a lot of the leg work like stadium design. Doesn't seem like they're doing that.

This is silly. They want to be in Manhattan just to say they're in Manhattan? Both the GAL site and something like the Fresh Direct site are miles better than Inwood.

This is by far the scariest part. If we want this done anytime soon, they're going to have to compromise with the city, maybe *a lot*. The only way this gets done is if we find a reasonable location and pay an extortionate amount of money. The coast is going to be below sea level before a Manhattan site opens up.

Honestly, who cares? If it gets us a stadium, it's worth it. Unless they were trying to push us to Belmont, or Aqueduct*. Then nah.

*Btw I really think the Cosmos should be shifting gears to Aqueduct. Wide open parking lot ready for development, out in Long Island yet on a subway line. Tone their expectations down (12k initial size or something) and sell it as a major mixed use development, not just a huge (empty) soccer stadium. But I digress.

EDIT: This is what the Cosmos's need: http://www.crocketteers.com/2012/06/01/scorpions-stadium-plans-updated-with-less-phases/

Not a silly 20k+ seater from the get go.

Yup.
The rationale you give with some of your opinions are off base with regard to what DeGrozz DeGrozz posted - you're making literal assumptions while missing the nuances of what he wrote - and because he's not going to give the background on the info/source, he can't elaborate and point out where you wandered off the path. Your logic of going from A to B to C is perfectly sound except that your interpretation of A is off, hence C is off.

The rationale you give with some of your opinions are off base with regard to what DeGrozz DeGrozz posted - you're making literal assumptions while missing the nuances of what he wrote - and because he's not going to give the background on the info/source, he can't elaborate and point out where you wandered off the path. Your logic of going from A to B to C is perfectly sound except that your interpretation of A is off, hence C is off.

57060622.jpg

I'm going to guess that the source is from a certain organization that would be involved if they built on the GAL site, and the reason they have info is *because* NYCFC is doing the legwork behind the scenes.

While waiting for a new mayor, they're seeking the only objectively better site than GAL - anywhere in Manhattan.

Boom. Rumor + speculation = truth. You know its true because it's good news too.

Reactions: Kjbert
not sure you can make the comparison of that project to a stadium project at Columbia. That project was shot down as it wasn't going to provide enough affordable housing. I'm also not sure that a new soccer/mixed use stadium at Columbia falls under rezoning if they use the footprint of the current football stadium, so they might face significantly less obstacles up there.

not sure you can make the comparison of that project to a stadium project at Columbia. That project was shot down as it wasn't going to provide enough affordable housing. I'm also not sure that a new soccer/mixed use stadium at Columbia falls under rezoning if they use the footprint of the current football stadium, so they might face significantly less obstacles up there.

Those Inwood NIMBYs are pretty hardcore anti-development and would almost certainly make any elected official's life miserable if they dared to support it, especially now that they've notched this victory over the mayor. It's unlikely they could build as of right either, since the special permit for the Columbia stadium probably can't be transferred to our hypothetical Etihad Stadium.