Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Those Inwood NIMBYs are pretty hardcore anti-development and would almost certainly make any elected official's life miserable if they dared to support it, especially now that they've notched this victory over the mayor. It's unlikely they could build as of right either, since the special permit for the Columbia stadium probably can't be transferred to our hypothetical Etihad Stadium.
I live in Inwood so I know all about them. I'm not saying it could be done, just throwing some thoughts out there. Columbia also has a way of getting their way up here, so it could be interesting. They're in the process of re-doing the soccer field and putting an air supported dome over the field as well. Work just started on it, no community meetings. Just a sign went up detailing the project the day it started. http://facilities.columbia.edu/node/1328/2443

Reactions: Kjbert
not sure you can make the comparison of that project to a stadium project at Columbia. That project was shot down as it wasn't going to provide enough affordable housing. I'm also not sure that a new soccer/mixed use stadium at Columbia falls under rezoning if they use the footprint of the current football stadium, so they might face significantly less obstacles up there.
Those Inwood NIMBYs are pretty hardcore anti-development and would almost certainly make any elected official's life miserable if they dared to support it, especially now that they've notched this victory over the mayor. It's unlikely they could build as of right either, since the special permit for the Columbia stadium probably can't be transferred to our hypothetical Etihad Stadium.
Back when this rumor came out, I did a pretty comprehensive analysis of the zoning (for my own knowledge), but I have no idea where it's at to reference. From what I remember, the zoning for the current Columbia site would allow for the stadium, however they do it (renovation/new), because they are a University. My assumption would be that the University actually owns the stadium with the team holding an XX-year operating lease (and the team pays for all construction), and because of that arrangement, the neighborhood wouldn't necessarily have any firepower to push back (University's are highly untouchable with how they program their land use).

the other drawback to Columbia besides the obvious ones - accessibility, distance to public transport, lack of parking - is that the ground would be shared with a college football team.

Back when this rumor came out, I did a pretty comprehensive analysis of the zoning (for my own knowledge), but I have no idea where it's at to reference. From what I remember, the zoning for the current Columbia site would allow for the stadium, however they do it (renovation/new), because they are a University. My assumption would be that the University actually owns the stadium with the team holding an XX-year operating lease (and the team pays for all construction), and because of that arrangement, the neighborhood wouldn't necessarily have any firepower to push back (University's are highly untouchable with how they program their land use).
The dog ate your zoning analysis?

the teams color schemes match though, so there's that #NYisBLUE

And both with links to England.

Just like Columbia College students need to pass a swim test before they graduate, NYCFC fans will also need to do the same so they can swim across the Hudson in the event of another Red Bull Massacre just like if the Americans were to burn down Columbia, the students would swim across to safety.

And both with links to England.

Just like Columbia College students need to pass a swim test before they graduate, NYCFC fans will also need to do the same so they can swim across the Hudson in the event of another Red Bull Massacre just like if the Americans were to burn down Columbia, the students would swim across to safety.
Wait is this real? Why do they need to take a swim test? I googled it and apparently it's a thing.

Interesting - I'd be curious to see that if you can find it!

and better than playing at the "Ted" for 2-10 years
Turner Field wouldn't have been that bad of an idea with their current occupancy moving to Sun Trust Park. They could practically do what ever they wanted with the stadium while they were building their new one. Plus they wouldn't have to share with a baseball team (like another team I know and love) or a pigskin team. If they weren't tearing her to the ground I would have said "The Ted" would have been a good home for the short term.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
Turner Field wouldn't have been that bad of an idea with their current occupancy moving to Sun Trust Park. They could practically do what ever they wanted with the stadium while they were building their new one. Plus they wouldn't have to share with a baseball team (like another team I know and love) or a pigskin team. If they weren't tearing her to the ground I would have said "The Ted" would have been a good home for the short term.

Missed the joke there

Claudio Reyna quote about the new training facility: “Orangeburg is a great location, not too far from New York City and where we play at Yankee Stadium."

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/10/07/claudio-reyna-we-ll-go-another-level

They want the training facility close to the stadium. This indicates the Bronx (and Columbia Inwood) are the options NYCFC is looking at for the future site.

Claudio Reyna quote about the new training facility: “Orangeburg is a great location, not too far from New York City and where we play at Yankee Stadium."

They want the training facility close to the stadium. This indicates the Bronx (and Columbia Inwood) are the options NYCFC is looking at for the future site.
Oh say can you see / By the dawn's early light / What so proudly we hail / In the twilight's last gleaming? / Whose bright stripes and broad stars / In the perilous night / For the ramparts we watched / uh, da-da-da-da-da-daaaa. / And the rocket's red glare / Lots of bombs in the air / Gave proof to the night / That we still had our flag. / Oh say does that flag banner wave / Over a-a-all that's free / And the home of the land / And the land of the - FREE!

BREAKING: In an impromptu press conference, the Mayor has announced the addition of a brand new borough, called "Etihad Island," just south of the Tappan Zee bridge. No one is really sure how it got there, but it seemed to appear almost overnight."

upload_2016-10-7_13-37-47.png