Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oh say can you see / By the dawn's early light / What so proudly we hail / In the twilight's last gleaming? / Whose bright stripes and broad stars / In the perilous night / For the ramparts we watched / uh, da-da-da-da-da-daaaa. / And the rocket's red glare / Lots of bombs in the air / Gave proof to the night / That we still had our flag. / Oh say does that flag banner wave / Over a-a-all that's free / And the home of the land / And the land of the - FREE!

Oh JayH, our stadium will be close / To the training site / So all our players our near / The place where our games our played / In front of all our fans / From far and wide in New York City / The pigeons will fly sky high / Oh JayH, I don't understand your post / The French part goes here / Oh JayH, I did my best

Claudio Reyna quote about the new training facility: “Orangeburg is a great location, not too far from New York City and where we play at Yankee Stadium."

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/10/07/claudio-reyna-we-ll-go-another-level

They want the training facility close to the stadium. This indicates the Bronx (and Columbia Inwood) are the options NYCFC is looking at for the future site.
"NYCFC has pledged to donate $300,000 to develop fields on an adjacent site to this new facility, to give the new generation of soccer-loving kids a place to play in sight of their new MLS neighbours."

Looks like the wee little shits will have the chance to take a look at 1st team practicing too!!

Oh JayH, our stadium will be close / To the training site / So all our players our near / The place where our games our played / In front of all our fans / From far and wide in New York City / The pigeons will fly sky high / Oh JayH, I don't understand your post / The French part goes here / Oh JayH, I did my best
I was just admiring your detective work Frank/Enrico (still nothing?!?)

Reactions: Rimil
An idea less crazy than Etihad Island. I found this on r/nyc. Rockefeller University is expanding their campus by building on top of the FDR Drive. They're building on vacant air space. What spaces in New York could work like this for us? We've only been thinking about land on the ground.

I believe Patricof told me we need 10-12 acres for our stadium site in all. Or maybe that is the figure for a site and training site.
cool, wasn't sure what the acreage requirement was. Damn that (10-12 acres) feels big and now I'm sad.

Reactions: Kjbert
cool, wasn't sure what the acreage requirement was. Damn that (10-12 acres) feels big and now I'm sad.
I've liked this site for the stadium and it ticks all the boxes. Adjacent DOE site could be made available for the right price. The city is already trying to redevelop that pier area too. Only downsides are: a bit far from the subway and it's far enough that it would kill CT and Upstate fans.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7498065,-73.9486005,290a,20y,284.41h,54.35t/data=!3m1!1e3

I've liked this site for the stadium and it ticks all the boxes. Adjacent DOE site could be made available for the right price. The city is already trying to redevelop that pier area too. Only downsides are: a bit far from the subway and it's far enough that it would kill CT and Upstate fans.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7498065,-73.9486005,290a,20y,284.41h,54.35t/data=!3m1!1e3

Was this place mentioned on the thread before? (INTERN?!?!) A quick street view and the place looks very, very industrial. I'd have to do more digging but no bars or restaurants nearby. Google Maps shows a walk between 9-16 minutes from the 7, E, M, N, Q. BUT DAMN, that view would be incredible. Don't even build a fourth side to the stadium, just like everyone enjoy the beauty of the city.

February 2013:
Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 5.39.40 PM.png
May 2016:
Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 5.40.50 PM.png

Last edited:
Was this place mentioned on the thread before? (INTERN?!?!) A quick street view and the place looks very, very industrial. I'd have to do more digging but no bars or restaurants nearby. Google Maps shows a walk between 9-16 minutes from the 7, E, M, N, Q. BUT DAMN, that view would be incredible. Don't even build a fourth side to the stadium, just like everyone enjoy the beauty of the city.

February 2013:
View attachment 5921
May 2016:
View attachment 5922
I may have mentioned it before. It's a great site just in terms of the view it would have. It would instantly become one of the most iconic stadiums in the world.

Though I think it's distance from MetroNorth might disqualify it almost instantly.

Would love to see what % of our ST base comes from Westchester and Fairfield County.

February 2013:
View attachment 5921
May 2016:
View attachment 5922

Add to the "if only..." speculation, here's a photo of the guy who would have a huge say over any deal made there earlier tonight.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
I may have mentioned it before. It's a great site just in terms of the view it would have. It would instantly become one of the most iconic stadiums in the world.

Though I think it's distance from MetroNorth might disqualify it almost instantly.

MetroNorth to Grand Central, take the 7, then walk a little.

Yo, Con Edison employee here!

1) I didn't even know we owned that property in Williamsburg!

2) You do NOT want to build on that lot in LIC. That building to the right is Con Edison's Learning Center (a training facility I have spent much time at) so I've become pretty familiar with the area.

Story time!

Way back in the day, that empty lot was an oil refinery and/or manufactured gas plant. The Con Ed building was originally a bakery. Over the years, the land and water on that strip became heavily polluted. The refinery was eventually torn down, but the land was not cleaned up. In the early to mid 2000s, a developer bought the land with the intent of building high rise apartments there (you'll see lots of other similar buildings nearby in Hunter's Point).

First, they had to finally decontaminate the area. I'm not fully clear on the details, but apparently the contractor(s) they hired to do this encountered some trouble because as they dug/cleaned, the plot would flood with water from the river forcing them to pump it out. This cycle continued until the developer decided it wasn't worth the money and ditched the project. I'm not sure who owns the land now.

There's quite a bit of water in that plot now. We call it Lake Vernon (because it's on Vernon Blvd). You can probably skate on it in the winter.

However, I can assure you that the view of the city from there is beautiful. Whenever I'm in training I try to eat lunch outside.

Edit: My sources are various Con Edison employees with time in the company ranging from a few years to 30+ so feel free to fact check me. Entirely possibly the story of that plot is just a well circulated rumor in the company.

Last edited:
oil refinery

A perfect fit for Sheik Mansour...

Thank you for your contribution though. You'll be inside source for that site.

If we're looking to spend around $400M on a stadium, I'm sure they'll look into solving that problem. NYCFC isn't going anywhere and a stadium location like that one day may put us in a billion dollar valuation range.

And that does look like three distinct bodies of water on the plot. This looks very close in elevation to the water. May want to raise the stadium up a few feet when global warming raises water levels and drowns parts of New York.

Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 8.52.03 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and QuazyPat