Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Eventually with advances in virtual reality, 3D, cameras, and other technology that impacts media and television viewing, the need or want to go to a stadium will become obsolete. It will be more enjoyable to watch from home. You can be in the huddle, on the sidelines, watch the game as the quarterback, etc.

I read or watched someone say that eventually NFL stadiums would be intimate 20,000 seat stadiums designed for cameras and the home audience rather than the stadium audience.

There is no technology that can replace the shared experience of sitting in stands alongside 50K or so like minded people. Look at what was going on in Chicago this weekend. You can't match that sitting on your couch.

The one thing that soccer does great and no one else can recreate, save the occasional postseason game in the NBA, MLB or NHL, is create a wild atmosphere. Yankee Stadium limits this for us (I also think we have one of the WORST supporters groups in MLS) but I hope a new stadium changes that.

Watch a Seattle FC game, a Dortmund game, a Crystal Palace game. 20-50,000 people on top of the field urging their team forward. Only sport where that happens every time out.

Reactions: FootyLovin
The one thing that soccer does great and no one else can recreate, save the occasional postseason game in the NBA, MLB or NHL, is create a wild atmosphere. Yankee Stadium limits this for us (I also think we have one of the WORST supporters groups in MLS) but I hope a new stadium changes that.

Watch a Seattle FC game, a Dortmund game, a Crystal Palace game. 20-50,000 people on top of the field urging their team forward. Only sport where that happens every time out.

elaborate on this

Reactions: Christopher Jee

you've highlighted clubs known for their atmosphere, but saying it happens every time out for the sport, in general, isn't accurate. Seen plenty of European games where you could here a pin drop when the air's been taken out of the home team. Not challenging your point on the exceptional atmosphere with the examples given, just on how widespread it is. I'd add Celtic to your list as well.

you've highlighted clubs known for their atmosphere, but saying it happens every time out for the sport, in general, isn't accurate. Seen plenty of European games where you could here a pin drop when the air's been taken out of the home team. Not challenging your point on the exceptional atmosphere with the examples given, just on how widespread it is. I'd add Celtic to your list as well.
Celtic has some of the worst supporters ever - all they do is sit in their seats looking at their phones and reading the newspaper.... the most disinterested group of spectators ever - it's like the Irish are a dull "people".

Reactions: Goodfella
Celtic has some of the worst supporters ever - all they do is sit in their seats looking at their phones and reading the newspaper.... the most disinterested group of spectators ever - it's like the Irish are a dull "people".

Celtic is located in Glasgow, Scotland. I watch Celtic every weekend. They are very vociferous.

Reactions: Goodfella
elaborate on this

We have 2,000 people in one section that sing "Hey, Baby" 17 times a game. There has been no attempt to interact with the casual fan at games. There has been no attempt to involve the moderately crazy fan (people like myself that sit away from the SG). They do little to promote themselves to expand their reach.

I understand they are hamstrung a little with the lack of drums, but that's really it.

I agree to some extent. But the atmosphere at a soccer match at even an average venue with average fans (say, NJ RedBulls) is multiples better than any other sporting event. The only bad atmospheres I have seen at MLS are DC United, Houston an New England.

We have 2,000 people in one section that sing "Hey, Baby" 17 times a game. There has been no attempt to interact with the casual fan at games. There has been no attempt to involve the moderately crazy fan (people like myself that sit away from the SG). They do little to promote themselves to expand their reach.

I understand they are hamstrung a little with the lack of drums, but that's really it.

ill give you the hey baby ( though technically its come on new york that gets sung multiple times a game).

explain to me "interact with the casual fan at games" like you mean go over to different sections to talk to people?

as for the expand their reach, i must disagree greatly. I know many groups do events at their bars for away games... and i think they all do for other pre/ post game meet up at bars. its all on their social media.

This also goes for promoting themselves. there is alot of stuff in twitter instagram. Now if nycfc doesnt promote all of them is another matter, but they are there. its how i joined the group im in.

not only that but there are a few doing community stuff and attend nycfc community events and benefit tournaments as well.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I agree to some extent. But the atmosphere at a soccer match at even an average venue with average fans (say, NJ RedBulls) is multiples better than any other sporting event. The only bad atmospheres I have seen at MLS are DC United, Houston an New England.
I think some hockey games and college hoops can rival soccer dependent on the match up. I do agree that if you did an overall rating of some sort that on average soccer is more "live" than other sports.

Reactions: Kjbert
ill give you the hey baby ( though technically its come on new york that gets sung multiple times a game).

explain to me "interact with the casual fan at games" like you mean go over to different sections to talk to people?

as for the expand their reach, i must disagree greatly. I know many groups do events at their bars for away games... and i think they all do for other pre/ post game meet up at bars. its all on their social media.

This also goes for promoting themselves. there is alot of stuff in twitter instagram. Now if nycfc doesnt promote all of them is another matter, but they are there. its how i joined the group im in.

not only that but there are a few doing community stuff and attend nycfc community events and benefit tournaments as well.

I'll take this one point at a time:

1) Hey Baby sucks. Can we all agree on that? There are SGs that sing and move all game. You have a Capo that starts different songs. There are song sheets handed out before games. More creativity

2) Let's say there was a Capo and song sheets. Has there been an attempt to walk through the stadium and involve other fans? No. Let's say there were certain chants other than Hey Baby. Has there been an attempt to involve other fans? No. Even a simple "Viking Clap" would be welcome.

3) People don't search for "NYCFC Supporters Group Social Media" on Google. They need to advertise themselves. I remember meeting the original Third Rail guys two years ago. One guy had his shit together. The rest of the "leadership" team were kids who had no clue how to run an organization.

4) You can't fault NYCFC for not pushing the SG on people. I think they do a decent job of getting their name out there.

I'm a member of this forum and a two year season ticket member. I rarely miss a game at Yankee Stadium or the road games on TV. With that as a baseline, I know more about the traditions and songs of the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers than I do the Third Rail.

Reactions: JGarrettLieb
I think some hockey games and college hoops can rival soccer dependent on the match up. I do agree that if you did an overall rating of some sort that on average soccer is more "live" than other sports.

I would say college sports in general are more lively than professional sports. A Duke basketball game blows any NFL game out of the water.

Reactions: Statler