• Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'll take this one point at a time:

1) Hey Baby sucks. Can we all agree on that? There are SGs that sing and move all game. You have a Capo that starts different songs. There are song sheets handed out before games. More creativity

2) Let's say there was a Capo and song sheets. Has there been an attempt to walk through the stadium and involve other fans? No. Let's say there were certain chants other than Hey Baby. Has there been an attempt to involve other fans? No. Even a simple "Viking Clap" would be welcome.

3) People don't search for "NYCFC Supporters Group Social Media" on Google. They need to advertise themselves. I remember meeting the original Third Rail guys two years ago. One guy had his shit together. The rest of the "leadership" team were kids who had no clue how to run an organization.

4) You can't fault NYCFC for not pushing the SG on people. I think they do a decent job of getting their name out there.

I'm a member of this forum and a two year season ticket member. I rarely miss a game at Yankee Stadium or the road games on TV. With that as a baseline, I know more about the traditions and songs of the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers than I do the Third Rail.

1. yea we tried this song sheet last year and it was shitted on not only here in MLS but across the world as well. I do agree a couple more songs can help for a more universal chant across the whole stadium.

2. im in the minority where i actually don't like the viking clap done at our games. i feel after euros everyone does it in MLS or at least wants to. Also, you are not clapping and singing when everyone is chanting come on new york? ive seen people across the field clapping it every once in a while. thats a universal song right there.

3/4. no, i search nycfc supporters or nycfc fans in twitter and instagram. like many groups in MLS alot of them have presence in twitter and instagram ( or even reddit if you want to go there). also nycfc only promotes third rail. there are other groups out there ( brown bag/ NYC12/ harts of oak) and others. they dont get promoted by name so many out there dont know they exist. maybe its because i go and do research ( on many things not just this) and i ended up with a group i wanted.

as for your last point. i disagree again, you were exposed to timbers and sounders for like 8 years in MLS of course you are going to know more about them since they have been organized for that long, and some of the groups have existed since their USL/NASL days and we are only existing for 2. Revisit this at least when we are 8 years in the league.

We have 2,000 people in one section that sing "Hey, Baby" 17 times a game. There has been no attempt to interact with the casual fan at games. There has been no attempt to involve the moderately crazy fan (people like myself that sit away from the SG). They do little to promote themselves to expand their reach.

I understand they are hamstrung a little with the lack of drums, but that's really it.

This describes them last year. It does not describe them this year.

I would say college sports in general are more lively than professional sports. A Duke basketball game blows any NFL game out of the water.

i dont think thats a fair comparison, easier to get a 9000 crowd going compared to 60K one. though i do agree college sports in general is very passionate.

Reactions: Schwallacus
1. yea we tried this song sheet last year and it was shitted on not only here in MLS but across the world as well. I do agree a couple more songs can help for a more universal chant across the whole stadium.

2. im in the minority where i actually don't like the viking clap done at our games. i feel after euros everyone does it in MLS or at least wants to. Also, you are not clapping and singing when everyone is chanting come on new york? ive seen people across the field clapping it every once in a while. thats a universal song right there.

3/4. no, i search nycfc supporters or nycfc fans in twitter and instagram. like many groups in MLS alot of them have presence in twitter and instagram ( or even reddit if you want to go there). also nycfc only promotes third rail. there are other groups out there ( brown bag/ NYC12/ harts of oak) and others. they dont get promoted by name so many out there dont know they exist. maybe its because i go and do research ( on many things not just this) and i ended up with a group i wanted.

as for your last point. i disagree again, you were exposed to timbers and sounders for like 8 years in MLS of course you are going to know more about them since they have been organized for that long, and some of the groups have existed since their USL/NASL days and we are only existing for 2. Revisit this at least when we are 8 years in the league.

1) Ok. Good to know.

2) No, I do not participate in Hey Baby or Come on New York. It's not exactly, "You Never Walk Alone" or "Z Cars." I'm ok with no Viking Clap, but again, there needs to be something that involves all 30,000 fans. Let me know when that exists and I'll change my tune.

3/4 The SG should seek out the fans, not the other way around. The casual person attending 1-3 games at Yankee Stadium every year looks at this as their first foray into soccer here in the US. I came to NYCFC a big fan of the USMNT and a supporter of Everton. I had attended 1 game in 19 years of the league being in existence. I would say I am more the rule than the exception. Most of us wouldn't know to seek out the SG. The SG needs to come to us.

5) We agree that traditions don't happen overnight. But Hey Baby makes you look plastic. It's contrived. I realize it takes time to have our own traditions, but your foundation is poor.

1) Ok. Good to know.

2) No, I do not participate in Hey Baby or Come on New York. It's not exactly, "You Never Walk Alone" or "Z Cars." I'm ok with no Viking Clap, but again, there needs to be something that involves all 30,000 fans. Let me know when that exists and I'll change my tune.

3/4 The SG should seek out the fans, not the other way around. The casual person attending 1-3 games at Yankee Stadium every year looks at this as their first foray into soccer here in the US. I came to NYCFC a big fan of the USMNT and a supporter of Everton. I had attended 1 game in 19 years of the league being in existence. I would say I am more the rule than the exception. Most of us wouldn't know to seek out the SG. The SG needs to come to us.

5) We agree that traditions don't happen overnight. But Hey Baby makes you look plastic. It's contrived. I realize it takes time to have our own traditions, but your foundation is poor.

come on new york is definitely something that works for now and maybe still use it going forward. even nycfc is getting behind it. so you sure will hear it this sunday being sung, wether you participate is another matter. not everything will be like youll never walk alone...i dont know if any teams here in MLS have something like that for their pregame.

3/4. i disagree, people that want to join supporters groups will look for them. not everyone wants to join one. did everton and AO come to you to become a supporter?

5. hey baby has not even been over played at all this year. you are concerned about being plastic but you are suggesting to copy others ( have something "like" you'll never walk alone) again, i think come one new york is our thing and not plastic? you are more than welcome to come up with an idea and share it here or elsewhere to get word around. again, two years stuff like this is still being worked out.

come on new york is definitely something that works for now and maybe still use it going forward. even nycfc is getting behind it. so you sure will hear it this sunday being sung, wether you participate is another matter. not everything will be like youll never walk alone...i dont know if any teams here in MLS have something like that for their pregame.

3/4. i disagree, people that want to join supporters groups will look for them. not everyone wants to join one. did everton and AO come to you to become a supporter?

5. hey baby has not even been over played at all this year. you are concerned about being plastic but you are suggesting to copy others ( have something "like" you'll never walk alone) again, i think come one new york is our thing and not plastic? you are more than welcome to come up with an idea and share it here or elsewhere to get word around. again, two years stuff like this is still being worked out.

3/4 I'm saying that people who are casual soccer fans (1-3 games a year right now) don't know that SGs exist. It's unique to soccer and college sports.

5 Hey Baby is overplayed. Agree to disagree. I'm ok with New York is Blue and White or whatever. That's at least unique. But we have two songs/chants.

3/4 I'm saying that people who are casual soccer fans (1-3 games a year right now) don't know that SGs exist. It's unique to soccer and college sports.

5 Hey Baby is overplayed. Agree to disagree. I'm ok with New York is Blue and White or whatever. That's at least unique. But we have two songs/chants.

yes two...but again there is a lot of trial and error. and I'm sure it will get better bit by bit. i still don't think singing hey baby two or three times a game is bad....it certainly is better than last year.

college sports have student sections which is similar i guess just don't know how organized they are (my college was a D3 school so there was barely anything going on for games)

Actually...

We can agree that hey baby sucks but you are contradicting yourself if you have a complaint about Come on New York. It's the first chant that consistently moves beyond the supporters section to large portions of the stadium, isn't that one of the things you are specifically advocating for?

Maybe it doesn't happen often, but there was a game I was at earlier this year where the entire stadium was clapping along to "Come on New York." It was ringing around the stadium. It was the DC game when Lampard won it late -- the entire crowd was urging the team on.

We can agree that hey baby sucks but you are contradicting yourself if you have a complaint about Come on New York. It's the first chant that consistently moves beyond the supporters section to large portions of the stadium, isn't that one of the things you are specifically advocating for?
I think this argument is a good one and an important one.

There are a few things at play in my opinion. Being basically a two year season ticket holder I have been to a lot of the games in the first two seasons.

1. These things take time. Expecting a full singing stadium after 2 years is a lot to ask. Come on New York, not being the best chant is currently the only chant the entire stadium feels comfortable with.

2. American sports fans don't sing. And when they do it's tradition. "Take me out to the ball game" for instance. English fans have a history of singing at games and at bars.

3. I do agree that more could be done with other sections of the stadium. Chicken bucket for instance is hilarious. And originates very far from supporters section. Also the mezzanine level to the right of the supporters is always game to sing along. The guys right in front of the supporters stand the entire game and act like they're in the supporters section.

4. We won't have an atmosphere we'll be happy with until we have a SSS. It's just impossible when a whole third of the stadium sits so far away from the field.

5. Player specific songs are lacking.

6. Taunting songs are lacking. I particularly love the "you're not singing anymore" song.

My 6 cents.

What damn matches are you all watching where the whole stadium sings the whole match? They aren't shown on my tv package.

Is it more fun to have a louder crowd? Sure. But I won't be singing anything for 90 minutes. I don't pay $2k to make myself miserable.

Honestly, I think we have it backwards a bit. Sounds like the goal is to come up with one or two songs and get the whole stadium to go along before moving on to song #3. I think a better approach would be come up with a handful each season and rotate them into games. Trial and error - the ones that catch on will catch on. The ones that don't get tossed. It's kind of sad that chicken bucket is heard louder and seemingly enjoyed more than anything coming out of the supporters section. IMO the only thing worse than listening to hey baby for 90+ is that god damn trumpet playing karma chameleon in Houston. I practically had my TV on mute for that one.

Last edited: