Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think this argument is a good one and an important one.

There are a few things at play in my opinion. Being basically a two year season ticket holder I have been to a lot of the games in the first two seasons.

1. These things take time. Expecting a full singing stadium after 2 years is a lot to ask. Come on New York, not being the best chant is currently the only chant the entire stadium feels comfortable with.

2. American sports fans don't sing. And when they do it's tradition. "Take me out to the ball game" for instance. English fans have a history of singing at games and at bars.

3. I do agree that more could be done with other sections of the stadium. Chicken bucket for instance is hilarious. And originates very far from supporters section. Also the mezzanine level to the right of the supporters is always game to sing along. The guys right in front of the supporters stand the entire game and act like they're in the supporters section.

4. We won't have an atmosphere we'll be happy with until we have a SSS. It's just impossible when a whole third of the stadium sits so far away from the field.

5. Player specific songs are lacking.

6. Taunting songs are lacking. I particularly love the "you're not singing anymore" song.

My 6 cents.

Great post. You captured my disdain for the quality of the SG right now in a much more direct fashion. Thank you.

I'm kinda glad I was too busy with work to get on here yesterday. A lot of miserable people here.

The second half of the season especially, the supporters section has been loud and proud, and you'll see that commented on here in the post match threads. Many have commented on that.

That DC game someone mentioned before, my brother came to that game and is a big Sounders fan as well as is highly involved in another very large SG (not ECS) and understands the struggles with starting things. He was loving the Come On New York and noting how everyone around the stadium was clapping along to it.

Things take time, creative songs take time. It will be organic. The setup of YS also makes it very difficult for Third Rail to really move to other sections.

You seem to have many ideas and be somewhat "in the loop" regarding SGs. Have you considered joining any to try and give ideas to improve them?

I was an inaugural member of the Third Rail. I was asked to participate on the financial decisions and offered my assistance where need be. I met with the original head (pre Roxy Fontaine) and he seemed like a great guy who had his shit together. Then I never heard anything else.

I would now consider myself an "outsider" of the SG. My two biggest issues would be the lack of interaction with the casual fan (that's an easy fix) and the lack of "experience" from those involved. I don't think that's an easy fix.

To backup K Kjbert , I spend a lot of time on this forum and Reddit discussing the team, and the Third Rail or any other supporters groups have ZERO presence on either. I consider myself a pretty engaged fan, at least online - yet it's like our SGs don't exist. They're just those dudes in those three sections I see across the stadium signing Hey Baby again.

And to say that they sing it less this year isn't enough. The song is completely ruined for me. Hearing it is worse than hearing my alarm clock in the morning. I cringe everytime. Once a game is too many times.

The only times I hear about them online is when they do something embarrassing.

EDIT: And I've never once had the urge to try to type in ThirdRail.com and see if that's a thing. That's not my issue, that's the Third Rail's issue. They haven't given me a reason to have FOMO (fear of missing out).

To backup K Kjbert , I spend a lot of time on this forum and Reddit discussing the team, and the Third Rail or any other supporters groups have ZERO presence on either. I consider myself a pretty engaged fan, at least online - yet it's like our SGs don't exist. They're just those dudes in those three sections I see across the stadium signing Hey Baby again.

And to say that they sing it less this year isn't enough. The song is completely ruined for me. Hearing it is worse than hearing my alarm clock in the morning. I cringe everytime. Once a game is too many times.

EDIT: And I've never once had the urge to try to type in ThirdRail.com and see if that's a thing. That's not my issue, that's the Third Rail's issue. They haven't given me a reason to have FOMO (fear of missing out).
R roxfontaine is really active - maybe less so now that he's the prez for TR, but that's understandable.

This is more of a general thing: if people are dismissive if you try to get involved, that sucks. But it could be due to any number of reasons that aren't "they don't want me to be a part of things". If you really want a role in a group, you need to show up and be a foot soldier for a while most of the time. And if you don't like the way one group does stuff, you can start your own.

As for me, I'm cool with floating for now. I like the board as my supporter group because it suits the amount of work I'm willing to put in (none, except when it suits me).

Along with the other enhancements reported for Yankee Stadium in 2017, the Legends Club is also getting a facelift and will be closed for the MLS Cup playoffs.

Legends Suite Club Enhancements.jpg

Reactions: NYCFCfan
I have no issue with any of the SG's. It takes years to build the atmosphere that people are expecting, even in an environment that is conducive to the requirements for that atmosphere. Yankee Stadium, I think we can all agree, is not conducive from their regulations to its architecture. To be frank, I don't feel entitled to knock what they're doing, given that I'm not part of them and don't sit in the supporters section. It takes a huge commitment to be involved in one actively and even more so to have a leadership position. Hats off to those that are. I think R roxfontaine does a great job with Third Rail working within the parameters he's been given.

Or scarves?
forum-scarf-logos.png

forum-scarf-split.png

Fringes on the ends, of course.

I'm certain that I have missed parts of the conversation but I'll just chime in here since I was tagged.

You started off with us having "ZERO" presence on these forums or on Reddit. That's just laughably inaccurate and it's hard to even take anything constructive out of your comments after that. I'm not a Reddit user but I'm certain that there are Third Rail members on there. I am on these forums every day and I make it a point to share anything that we're doing with the forum. Maybe you miss them because I post them in our designated forum? I also know that there are several Third Rail members that post here regularly.

You sound bitter and, to be frank, we have more than enough bitterness to deal with. What we need are people who want to get up and DO to create the future. Your criticism/critique is as valid as the next but some of us are out here sacrificing more than a few key strokes for this passion of ours.

FYI: It's thirdrail.nyc

I'm certain that I have missed parts of the conversation but I'll just chime in here since I was tagged.

You started off with us having "ZERO" presence on these forums or on Reddit. That's just laughably inaccurate and it's hard to even take anything constructive out of your comments after that. I'm not a Reddit user but I'm certain that there are Third Rail members on there. I am on these forums every day and I make it a point to share anything that we're doing with the forum. Maybe you miss them because I post them in our designated forum? I also know that there are several Third Rail members that post here regularly.

You sound bitter and, to be frank, we have more than enough bitterness to deal with. What we need are people who want to get up and DO to create the future. Your criticism/critique is as valid as the next but some of us are out here sacrificing more than a few key strokes for this passion of ours.

FYI: It's thirdrail.nyc
This year has been miles ahead of the previous as far as TR is concerned. No drama, no issues, no news stories. TR people are on the forums a lot, as is Rox. Their communications are in their section. And they're actually the only SG that uses it and regularly updates. The rest are dormant as they mainly use FB/Twitter to communicate.
So he does a lot more than any other group. I don't ask anyone to contribute here SG wise. We are an independent forum. This is simply a platform that they can choose to take advantage of.

I have considered doing scarves for some time now. My biggest issue is shipping. If I order 100 of them for a discount do I have time to individually package and ship them all with my work schedule? Perhaps something we can discuss in the offseason.