Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm certain that I have missed parts of the conversation but I'll just chime in here since I was tagged.

You started off with us having "ZERO" presence on these forums or on Reddit. That's just laughably inaccurate and it's hard to even take anything constructive out of your comments after that. I'm not a Reddit user but I'm certain that there are Third Rail members on there. I am on these forums every day and I make it a point to share anything that we're doing with the forum. Maybe you miss them because I post them in our designated forum? I also know that there are several Third Rail members that post here regularly.

You sound bitter and, to be frank, we have more than enough bitterness to deal with. What we need are people who want to get up and DO to create the future. Your criticism/critique is as valid as the next but some of us are out here sacrificing more than a few key strokes for this passion of ours.

FYI: It's thirdrail.nyc

@rox- My two cents for you specifically:

When I walk into the stadium, I don't feel the presence of our SG. The SG stands in particular populate later than the rest of the stadium. Game kicks off and the stands are half full. That's not your fault, but it seems as if the SG folks there could give two shits. I think it would be something if you walk into a game 20 minutes early and the SG is already singing and chanting full throated. Again - not you, but the SG in general.

For the Third Rail specifically, as the standard bearer for our SG groups, no one has ever asked me to become involved while at a game. 4 people that sit with me haven't missed a game in two years. They don't know what the Third Rail is. I would think fan outreach at games would go a long way. You can't walk into a Knicks game without someone trying to sell you a Chase credit card and the opportunity to get a free T-Shirt. Could you guys increase your presence at the games and at the pre-game meetings and canvass these places? You have a captive audience of 30,000 fans (hopefully more than that on Sunday). Seems like a great opportunity.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I'm certain that I have missed parts of the conversation but I'll just chime in here since I was tagged.

You started off with us having "ZERO" presence on these forums or on Reddit. That's just laughably inaccurate and it's hard to even take anything constructive out of your comments after that. I'm not a Reddit user but I'm certain that there are Third Rail members on there. I am on these forums every day and I make it a point to share anything that we're doing with the forum. Maybe you miss them because I post them in our designated forum? I also know that there are several Third Rail members that post here regularly.

You sound bitter and, to be frank, we have more than enough bitterness to deal with. What we need are people who want to get up and DO to create the future. Your criticism/critique is as valid as the next but some of us are out here sacrificing more than a few key strokes for this passion of ours.

One small, loosely related, observation. IMHO, we have way too many forums and subforums here. If a post is not in one of the 3-4 forums that get frequently visited, it can easily be missed. Whole conversations go on that I only belatedly become aware of because there are simply to many forums (fora?) to peruse. I think an off-season consolidation would help things tremendously. My

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled discussion. #organictomatoes

When I walk into the stadium, I don't feel the presence of our SG. The SG stands in particular populate later than the rest of the stadium. Game kicks off and the stands are half full. That's not your fault, but it seems as if the SG folks there could give two shits. I think it would be something if you walk into a game 20 minutes early and the SG is already singing and chanting full throated. Again - not you, but the SG in general.

Have you ever really belted it out for a full game? That's not snark. It's a genuine question. I don't think there is a person in the bleachers that can be louder than me. Period. I stopped trying to lead chants as much as when I started because I was giving so much that I was having back spasms after every game. I would be doubled over in pain and it simply wasn't sustainable for me. While I think the gist of your idea is good, I just don't think it's realistic or sustainable at this point.

For the Third Rail specifically, as the standard bearer for our SG groups, no one has ever asked me to become involved while at a game. 4 people that sit with me haven't missed a game in two years. They don't know what the Third Rail is. I would think fan outreach at games would go a long way. You can't walk into a Knicks game without someone trying to sell you a Chase credit card and the opportunity to get a free T-Shirt. Could you guys increase your presence at the games and at the pre-game meetings and canvass these places? You have a captive audience of 30,000 fans (hopefully more than that on Sunday). Seems like a great opportunity.

I do as much as I can. Every game I'm stopping into at least 3 different places to greet people and spread the word of what we're doing. None of this stuff happens magically. Again, I need people who can step up and execute things. For example: Last year I had the idea to have a greeter program. I asked people to stand at the entrances of the bleachers between 236 and 237 to welcome people and show that TR welcomes them and encourages them to bring positive energy into the section. I couldn't get anyone besides Neverson to spend 15 minutes standing there.

As for promo in the stadium, I don't disagree. That was a key objective for me in the offseason last year. Our Director of Membership and I took a full plan to the FO ready to execute. We were stalled the entire season over a flyer because of YS lawyers. We finally got past that hurdle only a very short while ago but the season is over. Be on the lookout in 2017.

Have you ever really belted it out for a full game? That's not snark. It's a genuine question. I don't think there is a person in the bleachers that can be louder than me. Period. I stopped trying to lead chants as much as when I started because I was giving so much that I was having back spasms after every game. I would be doubled over in pain and it simply wasn't sustainable for me. While I think the gist of your idea is good, I just don't think it's realistic or sustainable at this point.

I do as much as I can. Every game I'm stopping into at least 3 different places to greet people and spread the word of what we're doing. None of this stuff happens magically. Again, I need people who can step up and execute things. For example: Last year I had the idea to have a greeter program. I asked people to stand at the entrances of the bleachers between 236 and 237 to welcome people and show that TR welcomes them and encourages them to bring positive energy into the section. I couldn't get anyone besides Neverson to spend 15 minutes standing there.

As for promo in the stadium, I don't disagree. That was a key objective for me in the offseason last year. Our Director of Membership and I took a full plan to the FO ready to execute. We were stalled the entire season over a flyer because of YS lawyers. We finally got past that hurdle only a very short while ago but the season is over. Be on the lookout in 2017.

I know you are doing a terrific job. I know that you don't control the Supporters Section at our games.

I think the SS at our game is poor. They arrive late and I frankly think they suck in creating an atmosphere.

In regards to the Third Rail, I realize you can only do so much. I think the fact that you can't get people to help out says a lot about the supporters in general. They're apathetic. For every R roxfontaine , there are 30 folks in there who wanted the scarf. Not your fault. It just goes to show that we have a lot of work to do.

No one in the bleachers louder than you?

Dude look there is no question there is an effort being made, but with a smug, condescending comment like that you aren't going to attract many people to your group when the leader (you) is acting like a pompous blowhard.

Just give it several seasons and it will eventually come. Look how the chicken bucket thing has expanded through our fan base this season. I'm confident things will grow organically. The easiest way I think for the SGs to grow is for them to get loud during the game. Then casual fans will become interested and make the switch or inquire about it themselves.

Reactions: Kjbert
Chicken Bucket FC is more popular in Yankee Stadium than any of the Supporters Groups. Let that sink ni.

Reactions: Kevin
One small, loosely related, observation. IMHO, we have way too many forums and subforums here. If a post is not in one of the 3-4 forums that get frequently visited, it can easily be missed. Whole conversations go on that I only belatedly become aware of because there are simply to many forums (fora?) to peruse. I think an off-season consolidation would help things tremendously. My

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled discussion. #organictomatoes
Tip for all forum members.

Click exclusively on "new posts". It lines up every thread nicely in chronological order. Click the thread you are interested in no matter the breakdown or location of the subject matter. Never miss a post again.

Not sure what all this Third Rail hate is about. I'm a member, and last year I sat in the bleachers all season. I'm not there this year because alas it turns out I'm no longer 25 and I like my nice comfy chair tucked away in the shade. Well, it's not all that comfy but it is at least a chair. And it is in the shade, although that doesn't help much this time of year. If you're a 73 year old school marm then perhaps the bleachers is not the place for you. If you don't mind standing and shouting and yelling and singing for 90 minutes and don't mind being surrounded by a somewhat large amount of beer then perhaps it *is* for you.

I'm very happy with my seats this year, and I do appreciate the lesser amount of beer consumption in my section, but I have to say at the end of every match I always wish I was still in 237 when the team heads over there. It's a bummer every time.

As to the singing, it's almost non-stop. Spend a game there, you'll see. Is it as loud as the Timbers? No, but then again we're in a big open baseball stadium on metal bleachers with no roof overhead to reflect the sound. Which sucks, for now. And saying it fills up late? Seems to me the two center sections, the only ones that are fully Third Rail, are always full at game time. The other sections are other supporters groups along with the rest of the Third Rail people.

I'm in 224 and I can hear the singing pretty well for the most part. Chicken Bucket is much louder but that's because I'm directly across from them and they're under a roof. And if there's a lot of away supporters I can hear them as well because I'm a lot closer to them then I am to left field. But there's singing, and it's pretty constant. Sit in 236 or 237 for a game. If you get there early you can be up front, right in the highest sound volume area. Maybe worth doing at least once before you come here and claim it ain't happening.

I sit in 126 with a direct view of the SS. At kickoff, it's half full. I'm not blaming the Third Rail for that. I'm blaming the people that sit in the SS. Get your butts in the seats.

Tip for all forum members.

Click exclusively on "new posts". It lines up every thread nicely in chronological order. Click the thread you are interested in no matter the breakdown or location of the subject matter. Never miss a post again.
I just assumed everyone did this! I never go into the sub forums, 'New Posts' is my Ride or Die

Unfair to bring in other teams (especially like Portland) into this conversation.
Anyone can go on StubHub and buy the cheapest ticket they find, most likely in 234-237, completely clueless as to what they're getting themselves into, show up late, not sing, etc. Try telling me how many people "accidentally" end up sitting with Timbers Army.

Oh, and just a quick correction- you don't sit in any of the SS. You stand.

forum-scarf-logos.png

forum-scarf-split.png

Fringes on the ends, of course.

One side of the scarf should say: "Continuous Stadium Speculation Since 2014"

Hey R roxfontaine , didn't mean to sound bitter, and I completely appreciate your or anyone elses efforts to make the atmosphere at games what it is. Sincerely.

To the point about presence on the forums, the fact that all Third Rail discussion is quarantined to a Third Rail specific forum is kind of what I'm talking about. It's separate from the general public and the main discussion. It's that link at the bottom of the page to an area that almost has a members only feel.

I'm getting my news, discussion, and banter in more visible places. What's my incentive to click the Third Rail forum, speaking as a prospective member?

Im just one data point, I know. But from my perspective behind my computer screen, theres a ton of people and blogs that get way more visibility than anything the Third Rail puts out: Viewfrom226 , NYCFCfan NYCFCfan and his blog, Ryan's Daughter (is that the Third Rail Bar? I hear the bar name but never the event host).

To summarize my rambling, it feels like Third Rail content and advertising is directed at existing Third Rail members. If I don't go to the Third Rail forum, I don't hear about it. And that's the issue. In my opinion.

Hey R roxfontaine , didn't mean to sound bitter, and I completely appreciate your or anyone elses efforts to make the atmosphere at games what it is. Sincerely.

To the point about presence on the forums, the fact that all Third Rail discussion is quarantined to a Third Rail specific forum is kind of what I'm talking about. It's separate from the general public and the main discussion. It's that link at the bottom of the page to an area that almost has a members only feel.

I'm getting my news, discussion, and banter in more visible places. What's my incentive to click the Third Rail forum, speaking as a prospective member?

Im just one data point, I know. But from my perspective behind my computer screen, theres a ton of people and blogs that get way more visibility than anything the Third Rail puts out: Viewfrom226 , NYCFCfan NYCFCfan and his blog, Ryan's Daughter (is that the Third Rail Bar? I hear the bar name but never the event host).

To summarize my rambling, it feels like Third Rail content and advertising is directed at existing Third Rail members. If I don't go to the Third Rail forum, I don't hear about it. And that's the issue. In my opinion.

It's a valid point that the Third Rail information is guided more towards supporters, because that's what the Third Rail's primary function is to be, a supporter group.

NYCFC Nation and View from 226 are news, analysis sites.