Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That location is about 4 acres, didn't the club say they needed 10?
This is what 9 acres looks like for a 25,000 seat stadium (and only the stadium footprint itself, as you'd need more space for sidewalks, parking, etc.):

rbaacres.png

This is what 9 acres looks like for a 25,000 seat stadium (and only the stadium footprint itself, as you'd need more space for sidewalks, parking, etc.):

rbaacres.png
Here's a fun tool: https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

Citi Field - around 60 acres:

citifield-area.png

Red Bull Arena - around 45 acres:

rba-area.png

Note that these two maps are probably not at the same scale as I wasn't paying attention to ensure that they were.

And for the record, I am *not* wasting my employer's time doing this as I am on (forced) vacation this week.*

* Disclaimer: Non-time-wasting offer applies only to this one post. Most other map-based posts are indeed employer-time wasters. Statement is neither endorsement nor explanation. No cash value. In fact, hardly any value at all.

Here's a fun tool: https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

citifield-area.png

rba-area.png

Note that these two maps are probably not at the same scale as I wasn't paying attention to ensure that they were.

And for the record, I am *not* wasting my employer's time doing this as I am on (forced) vacation this week.*

* Disclaimer: Non-time-wasting offer applies only to this one post. Most other map-based posts are indeed employer-time wasters. Statement is neither endorsement nor explanation. No cash value. In fact, hardly any value at all.
The maps: good.
The small print: priceless.

citifield-area.png

rba-area.png

This is awesome.

The GAL site is approximately 8.15 acres.

The Fresh Direct site is ~4.8 acres (though we know that's too small), it goes up to 6.21 if they acquire the space on the tracks directly behind it, 9.6 if they acquire rights to the land all the way up to the creek.

A stadium in the parking lot at citi field would be perfect... and to tell you the truth the only area that can house a stadium....

The flushing park idea from garber was doomed to fail no one wants to see park land destroyed. no matter that it was being built on the fountains thats a cesspool... facts are it would have been the fountains the soccer fields and more because of insurance requirements of safe space needed in case of a evacuation..... had garber said lets put the stadium in the parking lot at citi field that shit would have been built by now....

Yankees and mets dont get along the mets also did not want a NY Yankee property in their back yard... we all know its CFG but mets only see it as a Yankee endevour... at this point CFG should just gift another 20% of the club to the wilpons as they did to the yankees (dont think yankees paid into mls CFG gifted 20% of the club to yankees to play for free at Yankee stadium...) yanks and mets put together will only be 40% of the club with CFG still keeping a healthy majority... Mets would feel they are also partners and would be willing to allow to put the stadium in their parking lot...

Its the only way it can be done.....

would love to see it happen....

we better move fast i know Islanders are looking at the site for their Arena.... and mets are also willing to team up with islanders..... Islanders are also looking at the cosmos pipe dream site... but i think islanders want to be a city team now and never return to the waste lands of long island...

Reactions: Kjbert
A stadium in the parking lot at citi field would be perfect... and to tell you the truth the only area that can house a stadium....

The flushing park idea from garber was doomed to fail no one wants to see park land destroyed. no matter that it was being built on the fountains thats a cesspool... facts are it would have been the fountains the soccer fields and more because of insurance requirements of safe space needed in case of a evacuation..... had garber said lets put the stadium in the parking lot at citi field that shit would have been built by now....

Yankees and mets dont get along the mets also did not want a NY Yankee property in their back yard... we all know its CFG but mets only see it as a Yankee endevour... at this point CFG should just gift another 20% of the club to the wilpons as they did to the yankees (dont think yankees paid into mls CFG gifted 20% of the club to yankees to play for free at Yankee stadium...) yanks and mets put together will only be 40% of the club with CFG still keeping a healthy majority... Mets would feel they are also partners and would be willing to allow to put the stadium in their parking lot...

Its the only way it can be done.....

would love to see it happen....

we better move fast i know Islanders are looking at the site for their Arena.... and mets are also willing to team up with islanders..... Islanders are also looking at the cosmos pipe dream site... but i think islanders want to be a city team now and never return to the waste lands of long island...

I think you're referring to Willets Point, not the parking lot. Not ideal for Westchester or public transportation (Just the 7 line). Workable, but not ideal. Ideal is Pier 40 (not happeneing) or West Side Rail Yards (not happening), or taking over MSG from Rangers/Knicks at the end of their lease (not happening). Really amazing is Fresh Direct. Look it up in this thread, or ask the intern for the index. And also pretty good would be GAL, since we're all used to going to YS anyaway.

Enjoy the enthusiasm, but you've got 363 pages of homework ahead of you kiddo before you can really delve into this conversation. Enjoy! And welcome to the forum.

Adam.... I mean the actual parking lot...... Only spot right now you can build on.....

willets point FORGET ABOUT IT the junk yards are not leaving any time soon... not to mention the toxic waste underground that will take years to clean up.....

But Imagine if for some freak NYCFC could get the old MSG spot when MSG moves across the street that would be EPIC..

Act
Adam.... I mean the actual parking lot...... Only spot right now you can build on.....

willets point FORGET ABOUT IT the junk yards are not leaving any time soon... not to mention the toxic waste underground that will take years to clean up.....

But Imagine if for some freak NYCFC could get the old MSG spot when MSG moves across the street that would be EPIC..

Actually... The city has bought up half those lots and all the junkyards are dying to sell. The remaining ones are actually pissed about the first half selling off to the city after claiming they would all hold out together. There is no infrastructure at the moment, but the scope a project like a stadium will require new utilities to be run in there anyway. In any event, the consensus here is we'd rather have a number of other options over Willets Point. As a LI guy though, I'd take it ;)

Wilpons are terrible owners and terrible human beings.

One plan had us building parking garages for shared use. Mets rejected it under the guise that it would ruin the game day experience of Mets fans if we both played at the same time.

Build the damn thing on the Bronx / Yonkers border and be done with if

we all know its CFG but mets only see it as a Yankee endevour... at this point CFG should just gift another 20% of the club to the wilpons as they did to the yankees (dont think yankees paid into mls CFG gifted 20% of the club to yankees to play for free at Yankee stadium...)

Although I agree with you that the Yankees did not likely put up any actual $$$, I can assure you that NYCFC does not play in Yankee Stadium for free. Quite the opposite.

I think you're referring to Willets Point, not the parking lot. Not ideal for Westchester or public transportation .

As the crankiest Westchester person on this board, I will say that I'd be happy with a Willets Point stadium. Much mroe convenient than Brooklyn, Western or Southern Queens or even Manhattan.

Also there is LIRR service from Manhattan and all points East.

I forgot to add this the other day so i'll drop it in here now, without sourcing because I am lazy.
It turns out that the Jacksonville Armada have been covering the cost of converting their minor league baseball field to soccer and back. It costs 70k per conversion cycle x 17= $1.19m for the season. I would assume it's more expensive to do Yankee Stadium.
This is just one of the many hidden costs of running a pro sports team that people seem to ignore when they do their "well they are getting $5m a year from TV, and $40m from ticket revenue (usually a poorly projected number by whoever is making this argument) plus sponsor money and all that game day money! so Don Garber is a lying a-hole when he says the league and it's clubs are losing money"
Lot's of expenses that people ignore, this is just one of them.

I forgot to add this the other day so i'll drop it in here now, without sourcing because I am lazy.
It turns out that the Jacksonville Armada have been covering the cost of converting their minor league baseball field to soccer and back. It costs 70k per conversion cycle x 17= $1.19m for the season. I would assume it's more expensive to do Yankee Stadium.
This is just one of the many hidden costs of running a pro sports team that people seem to ignore when they do their "well they are getting $5m a year from TV, and $40m from ticket revenue (usually a poorly projected number by whoever is making this argument) plus sponsor money and all that game day money! so Don Garber is a lying a-hole when he says the league and it's clubs are losing money"
Lot's of expenses that people ignore, this is just one of them.

Don't forget the cost of those plastic cups they serve us $10 beers in.

What about this thing? Maybe it could be a stadium?
View attachment 6261

It's only 1.2 earth miles from transportation.
View attachment 6262

Hey wait. What's that?
View attachment 6263

Enhance it a little, baby.
View attachment 6264

It's perfect!
View attachment 6265
That is so far from any speedy public transit, the F&G trains are slow, that people will need to start their commute hours ahead of time and hope the MTA hasn't shut down the line each weekend for repairs. The streets in the neighborhood cannot handle elevated levels of traffic without causing huge congestion. Sitting next to the Gowanus Canal (a SuperFund Site), it's also likely to be contaminated soil which would require a monster remediation before real construction starts.