Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The club is taking its timr with this. Evidence? They were offered land in College Point, Queens on the old Flushing Irport Site but declined the offer for an abbundance of reasons. They know their options and they are acting based on whats good for the general fanbase. Time time time

Reactions: Kjbert
The club is taking its timr with this. Evidence? They were offered land in College Point, Queens on the old Flushing Irport Site but declined the offer for an abbundance of reasons. They know their options and they are acting based on whats good for the general fanbase. Time time time
Brah, can't make claims and not post proof.

I said it somewhere in the double digit pages of this thread.

The best stadium idea would be a combined NFL/MLS stadium in a developed Sunnyside Yards that can be used to host a World Cup match as well as big international matches.

It should be ready by the 2026 World Cup.

This got me thinking of a useless hypothetical only appropriately used as filler in the stadium thread as we wait years from some news. Disregard all the obvious reasons it would never happen. What would be your reaction if they announced that the US had won the rights to the 2026 world cup, with the final to be held at a brand new state of the art stadium to be built in NYC at whatever location is your current favorite hypothetical NYCFC stadium spot, BUT post world cup the stadium would be shared by both NYCFC and Red Bulls?

This got me thinking of a useless hypothetical only appropriately used as filler in the stadium thread as we wait years from some news. Disregard all the obvious reasons it would never happen. What would be your reaction if they announced that the US had won the rights to the 2026 world cup, with the final to be held at a brand new state of the art stadium to be built in NYC at whatever location is your current favorite hypothetical NYCFC stadium spot, BUT post world cup the stadium would be shared by both NYCFC and Red Bulls?
189.gif

giphy.gif

Brah, can't make claims and not post proof.

No, that was documented, although Plan A was to swap that for Flushing Meadows. The airport site was dropped pretty quickly due to how far it is from the 7.

In 2013, Bloomberg suggested making the site a park, as part of a swap that would let the city hand over part of Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, three miles away, to build a stadium for the New York City FC soccer team. This plan raised ire as well, this time from advocates for the communities that live near the existing park and use it the most, and who would have little incentive to trek to an inconvenient new location. Like the warehouse plan, this idea seemed peremptory and ill-conceived, and it too got shelved in the face of public criticism.

I can tell you why we wouldn't build there, cause in 5 years the pitch will be 20ft below street level. In 10 it will have been swallowed up completely.

Gonna throw this out there: Is there any way to have parking below the stadium? A raised stadium with a few floors of parking underneath? I'm sure NYCFC could get a pretty accurate # of cars for games and plan accordingly.

Gonna throw this out there: Is there any way to have parking below the stadium? A raised stadium with a few floors of parking underneath? I'm sure NYCFC could get a pretty accurate # of cars for games and plan accordingly.
Yes. Completely possible. It's no different than a building having underground parking.

The one reason I could see them not doing this is security. Anything could be driven in to the garage which has 20-40k people sitting above for a televised event. If there's an expedient way of clearing vehicles on their way in, then it'd be a great way to save on the needed lot size.

giphy.gif

According to Twitter News, de Blasio is in some hot water. We may get a new mayor and finally a stadium sooner than expected.

Remember to support your favorite candidate as early as possible for the 2017 election (and one that will support a stadium!)

According to Twitter News, de Blasio is in some hot water. We may get a new mayor and finally a stadium sooner than expected.

Remember to support your favorite candidate as early as possible for the 2017 election (and one that will support a stadium!)
Whenever my friends mention a possible candidate my first question is "how would he/she feel about a stadium"

We can start our own PAC

I spent one of the last days of my Christmas stay-cation thinking about the history of stadium and arena construction in and around NYC, which leads to this and one additional post to follow. It's mostly from my head with a few things I had to look up or confirm at Wikipedia.

First, I thought about when was the most recent location of every major NYC sports stadium or arena first built upon. If a structure was rebuilt or renovated at the same location that doesn't count. I'm looking to determine when new ground was broken because that's what NYCFC has to do. I'm counting the 2009 Yankee Stadium as basically the same location as the original. Nobody else has the opportunity to do an across-the-street land swap.

1890 Polo Grounds
1913 Ebbets Field
1923 Yankee Stadium
1925 MSG 3
1964 Shea/Citi
1968 MSG 4
1969 Lincoln Center
2012 Barclays

That's it. Four locations that predate the Great Depression of which only 1 still stands. Then a 40-year break before three in the mid-late 1960s, including one non-sports site I threw in. Two of those, Shea and Lincoln Center, were Robert Moses projects and the third led to the country's first Landmark preservation law when MSG 4 was built over the torn down Penn Station structure.

Then another 40-year break before Barclays Arena, which was built on land that waited development for 5 decades. The Dodgers wanted to build there in the 1950s, Moses tried to make them move to Flushing, and instead they went to LA. In the end it took years of planning and litigation, with a Mayor who was absolutely pushing the project, to get Barclays done, and then they still had to downsize it.

Meanwhile the baseball Giants, Dodgers (as just mentioned), football Giants, Jets, and MetroStars/Redbulls all made efforts of various levels to build in the city and failed.*

That's how hard this is.

* To be fair, I'm not sure either Giants team made much of an effort to build in NYC, but it was not for lack of interest. The GiantsB owner Horace Stoneham had little money, but also few options to acquire land even if he was flush. The GiantsF wanted to stop subletting someone else's stadium. I'm not aware they explored many options besides the Meadowlands, but I'm sure they would have wanted to build in the city if they could have acquired sufficient land near transportation.

Last edited:
Next I tracked when every local major team (generously defined) moved either in or out of NYC or its suburbs. For this I ignored moves within the city or moves from one suburban location to another.

1883 Baseball Giants born in NYC
1884 Dodgers born in Bklyn
1903 Yankees born
1925 Football Giants
1926 Rangers
1946 Knicks

6 teams all in NYC proper

1957 Dodgers and GiantsB leave
4 teams all in NYC proper

1960 Jets
1962 Mets
6 teams all in NYC proper

1967 Nets NJ/LI
6 teams NYC - 1 suburbs

1971 Cosmos YS
7 teams NYC - 1 suburbs

1972 Cosmos LI
1972 Islanders LI
6 teams NYC - 3 suburbs

1974 Cosmos Downing Stadium, 1976 YS
1974 GiantsF Yale/NJ
6 teams NYC - 3 suburbs

1977 Cosmos NJ
5 teams NYC - 4 suburbs

1982 Devils NJ
5 teams NYC - 5 suburbs

1983 NJ Generals (USFL)
5 teams NYC - 6 suburbs

1984 Jets NJ
4 teams NYC - 7 suburbs

1985 Cosmos1 fold
4 teams NYC - 6 suburbs

1986 Generals fold
4 teams NYC - 5 suburbs

1996 Metrostars/RB NJ
4 teams NYC - 6 suburbs

2010 Cosmos2 LI
4 teams NYC - 7 suburbs

2012 Nets Bklyn
5 teams NYC - 6 suburbs

2015 NYCFC
2015 Islanders Bklyn
7 teams NYC - 5 suburbs

The current tally for reference

City Teams
Yankees
Mets
Knicks
Rangers
Nets
Islanders
NYCFC

Suburban Teams
Jets
Giants
Devils
RB
Cosmos2 (on death’s door)

There were no suburban teams until the Nets in 1967. Then the ratio of city to suburban just kept getting worse and twice hit lows of 4 city to 7 suburban. Most of this was driven, I believe, by the lack of suitable land in the city, as opposed to a preference for the suburbs, although the city’s decline that began in roughly the early 1960’s surely had some effect. Eventually some suburban teams folded and the city gained 3 teams so we’re at the current level of 7 city and 5 suburban. But 2 of the new city teams are unhappy where they are and would like to relocate. Could we see a new mini-boom like the 1960s? Barclays, plus NYCFC plus an Islander arena? It’s hard to imagine in the absence of a figure like Robert Moses to push it along. Nobody likes him any more, and it would be nice to imagine a figure as effective without the baggage, but he did get things done.