Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Interesting that they add an arena to the submission aside from just the stadium.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm interested to see what capacity stadium they list in their bid. While I'm sure it would be revised multiple times if the project were to actually be completed, we could get a good ballpark figure. There is a lot of disagreement around here about stadium size, from the small stadium guys like myself (20-25k) to the dreamers who are thinking 30-40k+.
Won't be applicable. If they put a token bid in, it has to be one that is too low in the bid process to ensure being passed over. Lots of capacity equates to a higher bid. What we'll see is going to be a placeholder at best and likely tiny compared to had we submitted a competitive bid.

Interesting that they add an arena to the submission aside from just the stadium.

Are you getting this from the Bloomberg article? I'm not seeing that. In the first paragraph, it looks like they're using "arena" as a synonym for "stadium," and later on they mention a 26,000 seat facility plus an "area" for pregame activities.

*Btw, 26,000 seems about right for a future stadium, but not at Belmont. I don't think we average over 22k at Belmont.

Are you getting this from the Bloomberg article? I'm not seeing that. In the first paragraph, it looks like they're using "arena" as a synonym for "stadium," and later on they mention a 26,000 seat facility plus an "area" for pregame activities.

*Btw, 26,000 seems about right for a future stadium, but not at Belmont. I don't think we average over 22k at Belmont.
I don’t think we average more then 10k at Belmont

Won't be applicable. If they put a token bid in, it has to be one that is too low in the bid process to ensure being passed over. Lots of capacity equates to a higher bid. What we'll see is going to be a placeholder at best and likely tiny compared to had we submitted a competitive bid.

$10k capacity, founding members only. F the posers!

I don't know, maybe I just read the article incorrectly or it's poorly written in phrasing.

Either way, it sounds like the Islanders' bid is the most ambitious one thus far.

Reactions: Kjbert
When even NYCFC fans think the Islanders should get the spot, you know they're the far-and-away favorites.
It makes the most sense for them and it's their number one and perhaps only option.

The Islanders fan-base and NYCFC's are also completely different in region, so it's not as if the Islanders winning hurts NYCFC in any way, while NYCFC winning destroys the Islanders' future success.

For me personally, I don't mind Belmont because it's only a half an hour drive from my home in Brooklyn, but I recognize that I am only one member of an entire fan-base. That's why I am rooting hard for any place where there is a good amount of connections to the MTA.

This lifelong Isles fan is 100000% rooting they get belmont.

If the Islanders get Belmont, we'd be the only sports team looking for a land. Therefore, no competition. Knicks and Rangers aren't moving from the Garden. Nets are staying at Barclays. Yankees and Mets aren't going anywhere. Jets and Giants aren't considering a move. Red Bulls, ha. Devils, also Jersey.

So, what else would we be competing with for 10-15 acres of land? Real estate developers, corporate headquarters, etc. So still the usual suspects.

The interesting part of the Belmont bid is the attachment to Related Companies as mentioned before who will likely be the developer attached to the affordable housing part of a deal with the city. Ross has an interest in the ICC so building a stadium within NYC to host some of the smaller cash grab games would be huge for him.

Last edited:
If the Islanders get Belmont, we'd be the only sports team looking for a land. Therefore, no competition. Knicks and Rangers aren't moving from the Garden. Nets are staying at Barclays. Yankees and Mets aren't going anywhere. Jets and Giants considering a move. Red Bulls, ha. Devils, also Jersey.

So, what else would we be competing with for 10-15 acres of land? Real estate developers, corporate headquarters, etc. So still the usual suspects.

The interesting part of the Belmont bid is the attachment to Related Companies as mentioned before who will likely be the developer attached to the affordable housing part of a deal with the city. Ross has an interest in the ICC so building a stadium within NYC to host some of the smaller cash grab games would be huge for him.

really? arent they tied in to metlife until like 2030 or something?

If the Islanders get Belmont, we'd be the only sports team looking for a land. Therefore, no competition. Knicks and Rangers aren't moving from the Garden. Nets are staying at Barclays. Yankees and Mets aren't going anywhere. Jets and Giants considering a move. Red Bulls, ha. Devils, also Jersey.

hmm, who mentioned the whole related being linked to getting the affordable housing part of WP? I forget.

If the Islanders get Belmont, we'd be the only sports team looking for a land. Therefore, no competition. Knicks and Rangers aren't moving from the Garden. Nets are staying at Barclays. Yankees and Mets aren't going anywhere. Jets and Giants aren't considering a move. Red Bulls, ha. Devils, also Jersey.

While this is true, it does not eliminate the political difficulty in building a stadium in the city. Still think submitting a bid is a terrible idea just for the optics alone among fans.

Whoops. Missed the aren't in aren't considering a move...

Aren't the Jets only about 8 years away from being able to opt out? It's a longshot, but they could ramp up a second try at a Queens stadium.

And the Knicks and Rangers might be forced to move if the city pulls the plug on the current MSG. One would think they could pull off an awesome new combined arena/Penn Station using the current space plus the Post Office next door though.

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Kjbert
Aren't the Jets only about 8 years away from being able to opt out? It's a longshot, but they could ramp up a second try at a Queens stadium.

And the Knicks and Rangers might be forced to move if the city pulls the plug on the current MSG. One would think they could pull off an awesome new combined arena/Penn Station using the current space plus the Post Office next door though.

Nothing would make the Giants ownership happier than if the Jets opted out, paid their share and moved somewhere else. Sharing the building with the Jets actually ends up eating into the Giants' profits because of their revenue sharing arrangement