Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
My guess (besides that they capture lightning energy from the sky to fuel David Villa’s immortal body) is those are "affordable housing" to sweeten the pot for the city.
Perhaps, but if so, the footprint of each structure looks very small - gonna be some micro-units up for rent along the superfund site.

Reactions: QuazyPat
Fished out my original post (from November 2015) on the subject and here it is in it's soothsaying wonder:

http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?posts/109145/

If the cargo terminal can't function with the loss of the two piers, then CFG could enter into a co-ownership of the site & build the stadium above the piers/warehouse allowing the bottom of the stadium to incorporate the cranes & derricks for unloading ships (ships/barges would dock underneath the bottom of the stadium) - this would both be an opportunity for an architecturally significant statement and be a marketing coup for demonstrating integration in to a neighborhood.

But there's no way this is feasible right? The hoops they'd have to jump through....just thinking of it makes my head hurt.
It honestly has to be one of the biggest longshots in the thread, but someone was paid money to put this together, so it has to have been in consideration at some point. Almost incredible to think a building that large could be supported over water.

It honestly has to be one of the biggest longshots in the thread, but someone was paid money to put this together, so it has to have been in consideration at some point. Almost incredible to think a building that large could be supported over water.
Numbers don’t lie and steel is pretty strong. :)

But there's no way this is feasible right? The hoops they'd have to jump through....just thinking of it makes my head hurt.

So as the troll mentioned in the first post - the only real hurdle is the clean up of Newton Creek which lead me to believe that zoning, Albany, City and Yankees, financing, etc. aren't problems in that spot. I'm not sure I believe it, but I do think it's at least possible that some of those things are true, but I'm still treating this as a fun fantasy for now.

That said, there was talk of Army Core of Engineers - do they have to do the cleanup of Newtown Creek? Anyone know how that would work?

So as the troll mentioned in the first post - the only real hurdle is the clean up of Newton Creek which lead me to believe that zoning, Albany, City and Yankees, financing, etc. aren't problems in that spot. I'm not sure I believe it, but I do think it's at least possible that some of those things are true, but I'm still treating this as a fun fantasy for now.

That said, there was talk of Army Core of Engineers - do they have to do the cleanup of Newtown Creek? Anyone know how that would work?

Not an expert here, but I would think environmental testing and cleanup could take years.

Reactions: Kjbert
I’ve seen this rendering somewhere but it was supposed to be top secret. Hmmm
How long ago? If it was in the last year, than somebody read my 2015 post for the concept because there’s no way spanning piers or a canal was their first choice or even something “normally” considered. This is serious CFG Fck-you level money that would have to be spent. Take the Hudson yards and multiply it by some factor because the Yards could drop Structural points for loads along side each track whereas spanning a canal, with the stadium above, has far fewer points of anchoring.

If we get this, it will definitely be the most architecturally significant stadium in the world.

They would have to approve the building of bulkheads, pilings, and other things to support the structure over the waterway.

Reactions: Paul and Ulrich
How long ago? If it was in the last year, than somebody read my 2015 post for the concept because there’s no way spanning piers or a canal was their first choice or even something “normally” considered. This is serious CFG Fck-you level money that would have to be spent. Take the Hudson yards and multiply it by some factor because the Yards could drop Structural points for loads along side each track whereas spanning a canal, with the stadium above, has far fewer points of anchoring.

If we get this, it will definitely be the most architecturally significant stadium in the world.
I saw this rendering two months ago and it was the MAIN REASON I renewed my season tickets for next year. I can’t tell from who but renderings are hit and miss.