Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That stadium would have to be the long shots of all long shots wouldnt it ?

Although, i've always thought that Hunters Point, at the mouth of Newton Creek, would be a good fit for a stadium. Not sure if that site has been redeveloped yet tough.

Reactions: Kjbert
Any geologists out there? Do the oil companies have experience cleaning up these messes? I know they have experience making them.

Hey Falastur Falastur - wasn't the Etihad/Commonwealth stadium built on some kind of superfund site too?

I'm not sure that we have anything which exactly correlates with the US Superfund, but yes the site was considered contaminated land. Specifically they had to cap some deep, old shafts which relate to Victorian-era industrial complexes which used to be on the site, and carry out a clean-up of chemicals which had seeped into the ground over the course of decades and been there since forever.

I'm not sure that we have anything which exactly correlates with the US Superfund, but yes the site was considered contaminated land. Specifically they had to cap some deep, old shafts which relate to Victorian-era industrial complexes which used to be on the site, and carry out a clean-up of chemicals which had seeped into the ground over the course of decades and been there since forever.

Actually, that description fits the area around Newtown Creek quite well, so at least they’d have experience!

Reactions: Kjbert and Vallos
Explain this please
Amtrak already runs trains on the New Haven line that end up in Penn Station. They break from the Line right after New Rochelle, head over Hellespont bridge into Queens, then on to LIRR tracks, then under the river to Penn Station.

MTA planning on building a few miles of track that would allow regular Metro North trains to do the same (and also build a few new stations in the Bronx). Not until after LIRR access to Grand Centeal is finished, but it’s in the works...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_Station_Access

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
It’s a Super Fund site which is typically cleaned up/paid for by the companies that committed the pollution. Since most of the companies are long gone, I’m not sure who pays for it, but the Army Corps of Engineers would either be the “owners Rep” for the project or more directly manage the project.

The feds will pay then often in cooperation/contribution with the state.

Read a few comments on Twitter and holy hell there’s a lot of ignorance out there. Nit picking what is essentially a Proof of Concept rendering because the NYC skyline looks a bit out of sort or that it “looks” like the stadium in floating. This may or may not every come to fruition, but the goal of it is to convey an idea to get necessary parties excited and on board. It’s not a blueprint/roadmap for construction. But Twitter is gonna twitter.

For those interested (and I'm pretty interested because I work right on top of it), here's various info about the Greenpoint Oil Spill. It's upstream of the proposed stadium site, but learning about this gives you an idea of what the cleanup entails.

Wikipedia: "The Greenpoint oil spill is one of the largest oil spills ever recorded in the United States. Located around Newtown Creek in the Greenpoint neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York City, between 17 and 30 million US gallons (64,000 and 114,000 m3) of oil and petroleum products have leaked into the soil from crude oil processing facilities over a period of several decades."

From Newtown Creek Alliance: "Since 1978, approximately 12.9 million gallons of oil and oil products have been recovered from the soils beneath Greenpoint and the waters of Newtown Creek (as of March 2017)".

So obviously this whole thing is the al-Mubarak family attempting to grab our spilled oil!

DKF2y5J.png

Further reading: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-greenpoint-oil-spill

Imagine an mid-East oil conglomerate cleaning an oil spill in the US... makes a very interesting narrative and difficult to oppose their plans.

The feds will pay then often in cooperation/contribution with the state.
You sure about that? I’ve always been under the impression that those responsible are charged with the cleanup (so long as they’re still in business). If the govt foots the bill and then bills back, they’ll never see more than a fraction of the costs.

Who and what other site?
dark knight is an admin at Big Soccer.

And the reason he posted it here is so it would get discussion. The NYCFC forum there is pretty dead. And posting it in MLS gen pop is just going to get snark and shade from the MLSperts and old timers. (Though he may have done that, too.)

You sure about that? I’ve always been under the impression that those responsible are charged with the cleanup (so long as they’re still in business). If the govt foots the bill and then bills back, they’ll never see more than a fraction of the costs.

Positive. You are correct that the responsible parties pay. When they are out of business, that’s when the feds step in. Should have made that more clear in my initial comments.

Amtrak already runs trains on the New Haven line that end up in Penn Station. They break from the Line right after New Rochelle, head over Hellespont bridge into Queens, then on to LIRR tracks, then under the river to Penn Station.

MTA planning on building a few miles of track that would allow regular Metro North trains to do the same (and also build a few new stations in the Bronx). Not until after LIRR access to Grand Centeal is finished, but it’s in the works...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_Station_Access

I've never thought of this but it makes sense from my limited Stamford AMTRAK travel.

Are you saying then, hypothetically, there could be a Queens or LIC Metro North stop?

It would be technically possible because they could divert into the already-existing Hunters Point Ave. LIRR stop. BUT, what would be frustrating is that there wouldn't be a connection to East Side Access because that's north of there near the Queensboro Bridge. If there *were* a way to connect to East Side Access, then this hypothetical Metro North train could loop through western Queens and then still terminate at Grand Central.

Actually, East Side Access, uh... access, is possible but it would require backtracking up the existing LIRR line.

I've never thought of this but it makes sense from my limited Stamford AMTRAK travel.

Are you saying then, hypothetically, there could be a Queens or LIC Metro North stop?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and adam
When the responsible parties are defunct, their insurance companies can still be on the hook as well.

Totally true... unfortunately, the policy limits are usually exhausted long before the clean-up is finished so taxpayers still get stuck with most of the bill.

Read a few comments on Twitter and holy hell there’s a lot of ignorance out there. Nit picking what is essentially a Proof of Concept rendering because the NYC skyline looks a bit out of sort or that it “looks” like the stadium in floating. This may or may not every come to fruition, but the goal of it is to convey an idea to get necessary parties excited and on board. It’s not a blueprint/roadmap for construction. But Twitter is gonna twitter.
I personally was hoping that whoever did the rendering would also include One Vanderbilt being completed

To expand on my earlier posts mentioning transportation, here are all the transportation options available to the Prince Etihad Fantasy Island Bridge:

SUBWAY
7 Train: Hunters Point Ave. & Vernon / Jackson
G Train: 21st St. / Van Alst & Greenpoint Ave.

LIRR
Hunterspoint Avenue
Long Island City

METRO NORTH (with bonus HYPOTHETICAL)
Metro North to Grand Central, transfer to the 7 train. If the MTA got creative, the Metro North could take the Amtrak line over the Hell Gate Bridge into Queens, connect to the LIRR track and stop at the Hunterspoint Ave. station, and then backtrack to the East Side Access tunnel to terminate at Grand Central Station. However, it seems much more reasonable to simply take the Metro North to Grand Central and then transfer to the 7, so this isn't very likely.

CAR
The Long Island Expressway effectively terminates at the stadium site as it enters the Queens Midtown Tunnel.
McGuinness Blvd. services points south into Brooklyn.
Jackson Ave. services points north and east into Queens.
QMT services Manhattan.

FERRY
Ferries from Manhattan and the Brooklyn waterfront stop at Hunters Point South Park.
Ferry from the Queens waterfront stops at Gantry Plaza State Park.

HYPERLOOP (HYPOTHETICAL)
Hey, if Elon wants an NYC Hyperloop stop, it ain't gonna be in Manhattan. It'll be in Long Island City or the Sunnyside LIRR yards.