Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I came across a powerpoint presentation today at work (Coca-Cola). The owners shared it with the local leadership team as an example of some new slides to replace our standard outdated ones. Big NYCFC logo on slide one. They must have cut out the juicy bits, but they were clearly pitching a stadium-focused partnership. Pepsi has a long term contract with Yankee Stadium. Not much, but if they are talking to vendors at this point, something must be moving along.
Coke is superior

I didn’t dump on someone, I dumped on a part of the city.

Because it’s crap architecture using gimmicks and flashing lights and over-the-top signage to draw attention, but because the entire area is overdensified and overstimulated, so the exact thing it’s trying to do if drawing attention to one area is counterproductive and doesn’t allow focus.

ETA - I was commuting home so couldn't finish my thought mgarbowski , so here goes:
Times Square/RCMH is all part of the Theater district, from 40th street up to 54th. Should I have been more specific and referred to it as the TD, perhaps, but I didn't think I was going to have to defend the written reference "Times Square/RCMH" to somebody accusing me that they're "irrelevant part of New York a few blocks away" - when in actually they are connected and intertwined as being part of the same theater district and the lights, pomp, and over the top signage that encompasses the area. So yeah, it's kinda relevant.

Further, if Mark doesn't like the grouping of RCMH with either Time Square or the Theater District, then I'll approach it from the history/theory side in that architecture is a constructed measure of time/history, society, methods, function, etc to form a particular aesthetic. Design aesthetic has changed over throughout time which is why periods come/go/evolve, and this is why there are the areas of the city are all different because they were built-up during different periods of time when different materials/methods/societal changes were taking place and were in vogue. NYC just so happens to have 5 main styles: Italianate (19th century), Beaux Arts (19th-20th Century), Art Deco (early 20th century), Post Modern (mid-20th century), Deconstructivism (20th-21st century) although the last is more of a catch-all phrase that doesn't really accurately capture the direction of the recent architecture in the city as it's more contextualized than simply deconstructing. Rarely do you see a new building in the city adopt a historical style and/or scale that isn't already part of the surrounding neighborhood as it would lack context and stick out like a sore thumb - white elephants are disingenuous to the neighborhood. That said, it does happen with very mixed results. Would an Art Deco stadium with stylized lighting, intense color, and a style that mimics the geometry of florals, animals, and sunr-strokes look out of place at the GAL site (or most other sites that have been examined as potential places) - yes, most definitely. That area of the Bronx doesn't have a history of the art deco style, at least not a history with a critical mass - the Bronx municipal building qualifies but that's out of the line of site. It'd be the same issue if built in the Brooklyn Navy Yard - Art Deco would be completely out of context. And yet, using the BNY as an example, there's a lot of new construction going up there, that is completely contextual to the warehouse-genre, and yet with a modern twist that is fresh and not dated (the deconstruction).

So yeah, I don't want to see a style dropped in to a neighborhood that forces it to be a white elephant. Somebody posted stadiums that blend in to their surroundings, and that's the appropriate thing to do to to help smooth the way with the NIMBY crowd. That doesn't mean it has to be a dated design, it can and should be a modern interpretation, but the context is important. If it's built next to Rockefeller Center, fine, make it art deco, at least there it makes sense. If next to the Fresh Direct site, draw from the industrial area/warehouses. If on Pier 40, draw upon the imagery of the docks/water/park greenway.
There's some good stuff in this post.

I think the shelved Stamford Bridge proposal sort of fits within your stated constraints:

Screenshot 2019-04-16 at 00.58.27.png

It retains the palette and texture of the surrounding architecture and landscape, but demonstrates its ambition formally.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Coke is superior
I really try to stay out of politics on the stadium thread, but that's just flat out false. Pepsi 2020!!

Although I really want the independent candidate Water, but we all know that's never gonna happen. So if I had to choose from the two, its gotta be pepsi or we are all screwed.

I think the shelved Stamford Bridge proposal sort of fits within your stated constraints:

View attachment 9715

It retains the palette and texture of the surrounding architecture and landscape, but demonstrates its ambition formally.
I hadn’t seen that rendering before, but from a distance the vertical gestures are reminiscent of flying buttresses with a modern/metallic/cable-like appearance. Or that could just be a bad interpretation of the rendering since renderings are pretty and not necessarily realistic of final construct.

I really try to stay out of politics on the stadium thread, but that's just flat out false. Pepsi 2020!!

Although I really want the independent candidate Water, but we all know that's never gonna happen. So if I had to choose from the two, its gotta be pepsi or we are all screwed.
you assumed I was talking about beverages

giphy.gif

How do you dump on someone for wanting to mimic RCMH? Apparently by bringing up an irrelevant part of New York a few blocks away.

Radio City Music Hall looks nothing like Times Square and is not part of Times Square. The building RCMH is in is part of the original Rock Center development, and is Art Deco/Streamlined Moderne. RCMH has a well lit marquee, and Rockefeller Center is close to Times Square. But apart from that they are different and look very different, and beyond that I see no connection, especially in design, between RCMH and TS.
Radio City is largely lauded as one of the finest examples of urban planning in history -- in both execution and design.

View attachment 9715

I don't think the new Stamford Bridge design drew any cues from the surrounding area at all.

Here's a better angle and it sticks out like a sore thumb in a neighborhood full of row houses.

Chelsea-Stadium_Herzog-and-de-Meuron_dezeen_936_5.jpg

Attachments

• Stamford Bridge.JPG
    Stamford Bridge.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 9
Radio City is largely lauded as one of the finest examples of urban planning in history -- in both execution and design.

I don't think the new Stamford Bridge design drew any cues from the surrounding area at all.

Here's a better angle and it sticks out like a sore thumb in a neighborhood full of row houses.

You don't think the materials / palette / texture speak to the surrounding row houses at all? :shrug: I won't argue against your point that it sticks out, but I think saying it didn't take any cues "at all" somewhat overstates the case.

Reactions: Kjbert
The question is, if you're sitting between elevated train tracks, another sports complex, and a highway, what architectual cues do you really need to take from the surrounding area?

Bertine Block Historical District or Paradise Theater have historic Bronx styles you could blend in to the design, but I'm not sure you need them if you're worried about the stadium feeling out of place. Let's face it, we're not putting this thing in with a bunch of brownstones in Park Slope.

**all this assuming GAL, obviously

I think you mean Rockefeller Center and not Radio City, as Rock center is the full development and Radio City is a theatre within the development.

You don't think the materials / palette / texture speak to the surrounding row houses at all? :shrug: I won't argue against your point that it sticks out, but I think saying it didn't take any cues "at all" somewhat overstates the case.
I guess there is some brickwork that is similar, but most of the row houses and more-than-50-year-old buildings are that classic London white style

You want to agree to disagree? No!*

*Not being a dick, just quoting my favorite Simpsons line.

I think you mean Rockefeller Center and not Radio City, as Rock center is the full development and Radio City is a theatre within the development.
You are correct about my incorrectness.

The area actually used to be known as "Radio City" back when 30 Rock was the center of the radio broadcast universe, but I don't think that was what I was thinking. Just a slip of the tongue.

I guess there is some brickwork that is similar, but most of the row houses and more-than-50-year-old buildings are that classic London white style

You want to agree to disagree? No!*

*Not being a dick, just quoting my favorite Simpsons line.
I’ll posit that London, like most ancient European cities, has the benefit of being able to draw upon the Cathedral as a focal point of a neighborhood as both the most massive structure, compared to its surroundings, and the epicenter of convergence once a week for the neighborhoods’ like-minded. The Stamford bridge design has the feel and imagery of a cathedral with a modern twist on the flying buttresses. So while the style is not contextual with the immediate surroundings, which is a similar situation for most cathedrals, it is contextual in the city as a whole when looked at as the (modern) cathedral that is a one-off focal point in a particular area. You could say the neighborhood’s faithful attend their church service of football every weekend.

but he heard it from the ExtraTime Radio podcast

i took it as he heard in the podcast that the CFG reps were there, which is true we knew that even in broadcast, nothing new. the rest of it is just speculation that we all do here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
i took it as he heard in the podcast that the CFG reps were there, which is true we knew that even in broadcast, nothing new. the rest of it is just speculation that we all do here.

This part isn’t speculation. It’s new information on which to base about 5 pages of discussion—or at least it would’ve been worth that much last summer; these days we’re getting pretty bored, it seems, with interpreting what look like increasingly frequent hints of movement

they've also been in NYC for a month & have no set departure date

Last edited: