Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
can't see the city giving up any park space, best chance of a 5 boro stadium deal is outright purchase of private property
While you're probably right, there are portions that are very un-park-like, with highways running through much of its western parts. I'm only saying it'd probably be the most expendable land the City owns in one of the cheapest portions of the City, if they decide to look in that direction.

Reactions: Goodfella
Someone mentioned a floating stadium in the river, and a flying stadium attached to the ESB, might want to add those ideas to the sticky.

I don't think it's out of the question for a new pier to be built and have a stadium placed there.

Also, it would have been great if NYC FC started around the late 2000s, so we could build a soccer stadium where the old Yankee Stadium was located.

I don't think it's out of the question for a new pier to be built and have a stadium placed there.

Also, it would have been great if NYC FC started around the late 2000s, so we could build a soccer stadium where the old Yankee Stadium was located.
Everyone here is wildly overestimating the popularity of soccer in NYC. It is growing, yes, but we are not getting prime real estate.

Everyone here is wildly overestimating the popularity of soccer in NYC. It is growing, yes, but we are not getting prime real estate.

Totally agree. Folks need to get it out of their heads that NYCFC will build a stadium in Manhattan on a pier, or on the waterfront in Queens and Bk facing Manhattan. That's just crazy talk. It ain't happening.

Reactions: JGriff217

Part of the deal for the new YS was that a public park would be built on the old location to replace parkland taken up by the new stadium.

How about this idea? The area around Citi Field is basically one huge parking lot. Much bigger than the space taken by Citi Field itself, and two-to-three times the space needed for a soccer stadium. It should be easy to convert some of the parking to multi-level decks and convert the space farthest from Citi Field to soccer.

View attachment 2276
I do believe the worst owners in NYC sports the Wilpons are trying to build a fucking mall there. I just wish they would sell my team to someone that realises that the Mets are not the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Reactions: Kjbert
I do believe the worst owners in NYC sports the Wilpons are trying to build a fucking mall there. I just wish they would sell my team to someone that realises that the Mets are not the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Jerry Seinfeld and Jon Stewart should just buy the Mets.

Worse than the Dolans? I think not.

Your statement does make me wonder if the Wilpons or the Mets control the parking area to an extent that they can block something like this. If so, big mistake by the city.

What are those other stadiums at the bottom of the map? By Perimeter Road?
I'm not really familiar with the area around Citi.

That crap got built on parkland for a 2 week tournament every year. The rest of the time it sits empty, I know 2 people who play tennis and only a handfull who actually give a shit about it. Shit should have been built in the suburbs thats where the tennis fans are. USTA offices are in Purchase. We can't get the city to work a deal with some elevator company.
You will never see thousands of tennis fans under the El jumping and signing

It's where the US Open of Tennis is held every year. Very nice setup, but like someone mentioned earlier, they only get used for a month in the summer. The rest of the year it's emtpy.

Our mayor at the time was David Dinkins who was a fanatic about tennis. Rudy was a fanatical Yankee fan. That's how you get things done in NYC. Unfortunately, I suspect our current mayor went to his first soccer match just last Sunday.

Alright....is there anyway we can either close this thread, or at least rename it to something like "new stadium discussion"? Then we can have a thread for when anything relevant comes up, even something as small as an innocuous tweet by some journo or politician. This thread is way off track and I see many of the same points being repeated over and over again because new people come to the thread and didn't read the 15 people who already brought up the same point earlier. I would love to be able to just ignore this thread, but it's so active that I always have to wonder if some type of info came out from someone on Twitter or something. If we could separate the inane discussion in this thread and have another one to discuss actual news...that would make me happy!

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Our mayor at the time was David Dinkins who was a fanatic about tennis. Rudy was a fanatical Yankee fan. That's how you get things done in NYC. Unfortunately, I suspect our current mayor went to his first soccer match just last Sunday.

Dinkins was the worst mayor ever and got that done. somehow nyc then got a new worst mayor ever in rudy and got the stadium done. amazingly you poor people now have a new worst mayor ever so if history repeats itself the new stadium should not be a problem

Alright....is there anyway we can either close this thread, or at least rename it to something like "new stadium discussion"? Then we can have a thread for when anything relevant comes up, even something as small as an innocuous tweet by some journo or politician. This thread is way off track and I see many of the same points being repeated over and over again because new people come to the thread and didn't read the 15 people who already brought up the same point earlier. I would love to be able to just ignore this thread, but it's so active that I always have to wonder if some type of info came out from someone on Twitter or something. If we could separate the inane discussion in this thread and have another one to discuss actual news...that would make me happy!

Would be useful.

Building a a new pier and stadium along (and inevitably partially over) the river is likely a non-starter between NIMBYs and what would be incredibly vocal, organized and well-funded environmental opposition.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
I think based on this past week, a stadium that is accessible by a subway is a necessity.

You really can't overstate this. I mean, it applies to everything. For example, I think Ryan's Daughter is a great pub for hosting our match parties. That said, I'm sure that once the "newness" wears off, I'll likely only go for big matches. Why? I live in Hell's Kitchen, so it's a massive pain in my ass and 45 minutes to take the train due that shit transfer situation to get on the 4-5-6. 10 minute walk to the subway, 10 minute transfer, 10 minutes walk at least from 86th street stop to pub.

Turns a two hour match into a 4 hour block that crushes the remainder of your day. The alternative is a cab, but that $20 each way turns it into a $100 minimum outlay for away weekends, making it actually cost as much or more to watch the game on TV as it does for my wife and I to attend home matches and have a couple of beers.

All that being said, see y'all at the bar today. To paraphrase a famous quote, I spend most of my money on NYCFC and booze; the rest, I just waste.

Maybe so, but you know what every politician of every stripe responds to? Pressure from voters. If there was an organized supporters movement calling the mayors office regularly demanding the city work with the club for a stadium, we could see some action. NYC residents work the vote angle, while those who live outside the city could work the economic benefits angle. Deluge his office with calls and emails, and you'll definitely get his attention.

Reactions: Vijay Kitson