Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Maybe so, but you know what every politician of every stripe responds to? Pressure from voters. If there was an organized supporters movement calling the mayors office regularly demanding the city work with the club for a stadium, we could see some action. NYC residents work the vote angle, while those who live outside the city could work the economic benefits angle. Deluge his office with calls and emails, and you'll definitely get his attention.
Money talks, calling interns walks

They've clearly made some mistakes but I think most of us would assume that between CFG, The Yankees, and the Sheik there are some decent business people involved with NYCFC somewhere. I'd think if it's clear to us that the stadium HAS to be well served by public transport it would be obvious to someone who matters as well.

If the stadium is put somewhere decent and with good public transport and they stock the team with a few stars and are competitive on the field they will fill a 30K stadium. If it's not easily accessible by public transport the other two things likely won't matter. We can have Name plays and compete for the championship but if people can't get to the stadium easily it will end up like RedBull and average 18K. So I'd like to think someone in the CFG, Yankees, City, hierarchy would realise that it's an INVESTMENT. You do the stadium right, even if it costs an obscene amount up front, they will make there money back and then some in the long run. If they half ass it think short term and up front and make another RBA in the middle of nowhere it won't make the same returns at all. You get back what you put in.

Reactions: Goodfella and Paul
Alright....is there anyway we can either close this thread, or at least rename it to something like "new stadium discussion"? Then we can have a thread for when anything relevant comes up, even something as small as an innocuous tweet by some journo or politician. This thread is way off track and I see many of the same points being repeated over and over again because new people come to the thread and didn't read the 15 people who already brought up the same point earlier. I would love to be able to just ignore this thread, but it's so active that I always have to wonder if some type of info came out from someone on Twitter or something. If we could separate the inane discussion in this thread and have another one to discuss actual news...that would make me happy!

For now, as there's no news at all coming out, I don't think changing the name is pressing. When things start actually happening, we'll see about reorganisation, though I'm nor sure if it'll be necessary. As soon as concrete news comes out, all conversation will switch to that regardless.

Worse than the Dolans? I think not.

Your statement does make me wonder if the Wilpons or the Mets control the parking area to an extent that they can block something like this. If so, big mistake by the city.
Yeah I stick by my comment worse owners in NYC.

Even if it's in spite of himself The Rangers are quite good so Dolan has to get some points there. If going strictly by the Knicks he might top Wilpon. Also he's good for laughing at entertainment value between that email exchange and the fact that he booked himself to Open for the Eagles at the garden... and sorry if this is straying off topic..

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
You really can't overstate this. I mean, it applies to everything. For example, I think Ryan's Daughter is a great pub for hosting our match parties. That said, I'm sure that once the "newness" wears off, I'll likely only go for big matches. Why? I live in Hell's Kitchen, so it's a massive pain in my ass and 45 minutes to take the train due that shit transfer situation to get on the 4-5-6. 10 minute walk to the subway, 10 minute transfer, 10 minutes walk at least from 86th street stop to pub.

Turns a two hour match into a 4 hour block that crushes the remainder of your day. The alternative is a cab, but that $20 each way turns it into a $100 minimum outlay for away weekends, making it actually cost as much or more to watch the game on TV as it does for my wife and I to attend home matches and have a couple of beers.

All that being said, see y'all at the bar today. To paraphrase a famous quote, I spend most of my money on NYCFC and booze; the rest, I just waste.

Definitely. I live outside of the city and people up here just don't understand. For them, there's no difference because the drive/train is something they usually do every day. Most people who live in the city don't own a car and spend most of their time in a specific neighborhood, because it can offer everything they need. If you're catering to "New York City" then a place accessible by a subway should be one of the main priorities. If not, you're turning off a MAJOR part of the fan base.

Definitely. I live outside of the city and people up here just don't understand. For them, there's no difference because the drive/train is something they usually do every day. Most people who live in the city don't own a car and spend most of their time in a specific neighborhood, because it can offer everything they need. If you're catering to "New York City" then a place accessible by a subway should be one of the main priorities. If not, you're turning off a MAJOR part of the fan base.
It's the entire reason most New Yorkers never really felt a strong connection as Energy Drink Team fans. If it isn't and doesn't feel "close", it's hard to really feel a part of it. New stadium has to be accessible via subway for fans; realistically along that 4, 5, 6 line that ends up practically central in Manhattan, and has ridership from every other borough in a single transfer.

Garber on the new Avaya Stadium in San jose.

"They built it smart," Garber said. "They were very efficient in how they spent their money. Some of the design elements are best in class, so a happy day for everybody in Major League Soccer.

Specifically, Garber was impressed with the party deck in the end zone and the two-sided video board on the north end.

"It gives it a public viewing dynamic that has become a social dynamic in our country now," Garber said. "People like watching big soccer events in large settings. Imagine what this will be like for World Cup matches and for other public events. The bunker suites on the bottom where I'm sitting are just remarkable. You literally feel like you are sitting on the field."

Garber added that they built it very efficiently: "Not every stadium's got to be several hundred million dollars. It's actually got to have them built in a way where the economic model makes sense. That's what we have here."

I don't think it's out of the question for a new pier to be built and have a stadium placed there.

Also, it would have been great if NYC FC started around the late 2000s, so we could build a soccer stadium where the old Yankee Stadium was located.
lol that was never gonna happen... Yankees had to replace the parkland they took to build the new stadium.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
Well to be honest, I think that they will play at Yankee Stadium for a while. They are all making money with this set up as is. There is no sense of urgency.

Reactions: Kjbert
Well to be honest, I think that they will play at Yankee Stadium for a while. They are all making money with this set up as is. There is no sense of urgency.
Until the Yankees start bitching about the turf...... Don't get me wrong I hope that they do.... That would definitely create some urgency....

Reactions: Kjbert
Until the Yankees start bitching about the turf...... Don't get me wrong I hope that they do.... That would definitely create some urgency....

I hear you. If the grass holds up, we have a problem.

Honestly, NYC FC has a better shot at winning the MLS Cup than the Yankees do of winning the World Series. I'm a fan of both. But maybe the Yankees should stop complaining.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gazza_55
Don't want this to turn into a case of be careful what you wish for. I want our own stadium of course but I want the time taken to find the right spot. The Yankees getting pissed and kicking us out before that happens would be a disaster.

Honestly, NYC FC has a better shot at winning the MLS Cup than the Yankees do of winning the World Series. I'm a fan of both. But maybe the Yankees should stop complaining.
They aren't equal tenants. If the turf becomes a legitimate problem, NYCFC will be looking for a new temporary home, regardless of either teams on the field play.

Don't want this to turn into a case of be careful what you wish for. I want our own stadium of course but I want the time taken to find the right spot. The Yankees getting pissed and kicking us out before that happens would be a disaster.

Agreed. I get it that it might create some sense of urgency, but we wouldn't that sense of urgency forcing us into a stadium that isn't optimal.