#StartEirik

He's not singly to blame. The 7 goal game certainly hurt.

He's visibly slow off his line, indecisive and bad in distribution. You don't need an incredible athlete back there (it helps, look at Howard vs. Guzan right now), you don't always have to be well positioned (but if you are a poor athlete, the positioning helps, look at Pirlo) and you don't have to be a wonderful distributor of the ball (not everyone is Hugo Lloris). But you need to excel at something.

He's not singly to blame. The 7 goal game certainly hurt.

He's visibly slow off his line, indecisive and bad in distribution. You don't need an incredible athlete back there (it helps, look at Howard vs. Guzan right now), you don't always have to be well positioned (but if you are a poor athlete, the positioning helps, look at Pirlo) and you don't have to be a wonderful distributor of the ball (not everyone is Hugo Lloris). But you need to excel at something.

Let's just get a giant sumo wrestler who has more surface area to save shots. A defender can take our goal kicks.

Reactions: Tony L and Kjbert
I'm fine playing a 2-4-3-2 match, Hell knowing us we can even do a 2-3-6-1 (the 1 being David Villa)

I want to see him play with the starters. If his backline lets him get shot on all match, a fair assessment of his ability vs Saunders can't be made.
The flip side is that if he is shot on all night and still makes the saves, there's real evidence for the #StartEirik movement. If the starters play and don't let any hard shots through, then PV could spin the win by attributing it to the field players and not he switch in GK. Unfortunately, Lurch is going to have to come up big a few times in order to prove a point.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
If the starters play and don't let any hard shots through, then PV could spin the win by attributing it to the field players
I'd like to point out that our starters play all the time and let millions of hard (and unstoppable) shots through in every game, and that Saunders has come up big more than a few times.

Just saying'

Note: Edited to change it from Bernie Sanders to Josh Saunders. I do that all the friggin' time!

Reactions: Gene
I'd like to point out that our starters play all the time and let millions of hard (and unstoppable) shots through in every game, and that Saunders has come up big more than a few times.

Just saying'

Note: Edited to change it from Bernie Sanders to Josh Saunders. I do that all the friggin' time!

Statistically speaking, Saunder's has come up "big"only slightly better than half of the time while also having shots saved off the line by his defenders.

I should have posted on this thread sooner but Eirik seized his opportunity and is riding the hot hand into the playoffs. Hopefully Vieira will see that #StartEirik should continue into the playoffs. WOOHOO!