If only there were a way

Ferdinand Cesarano

Registered
Mar 14, 2015
New York
facebook.com
Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart has gone on loan to Torino. It would have been so nice if he could have come here on loan!

Of course, we couldn't pay him what he is worth, with all our DP slots filled. (And I don't think that there has been a keeper DP so far in the league.) Still, such a move would have served City's needs by removing a player whom Guardiola clearly does not rate, even if CFG would still be paying his wages. (Of course, we don't know whether or to what degree they are doing that in his actual loan.) And it really would have served NYCFC's needs, by bringing in a world-class keeper.

Finally, coming to NYCFC would have served Hart's needs, by guaranteeing him first-team action in his efforts to remain England's no. 1. But here we run into the perception problem that MLS still suffers under. Even if we could somehow have brought Hart in, one wonders whether England manager Sam Allardyce would view a move to MLS as a major step down in quality. By contrast, a move from the Premier League to Serie A will surely be seen as lateral.

Anyway, this is a case where we really chafe under MLS rules, and where being "a Man City farm club" would be a great thing!

I still think that NYCFC missed the boat by not going after former Barcelona and Spain keeper Victor Valdes (who has been around forever, but is nevertheless a year younger than Saunders) while he was languishing on Man United's bench and in Louis van Gaal's doghouse. Valdes has now signed with newly-promoted Middlesbrough, where he will have to fight it out with Brad Guzan. It's hard to see how that's better than starting every match for NYCFC. But, maybe even Boro are paying him more than we could.

Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart has gone on loan to Torino. It would have been so nice if he could have come here on loan!

Of course, we couldn't pay him what he is worth, with all our DP slots filled. (And I don't think that there has been a keeper DP so far in the league.) Still, such a move would have served City's needs by removing a player whom Guardiola clearly does not rate, even if CFG would still be paying his wages. (Of course, we don't know whether or to what degree they are doing that in his actual loan.) And it really would have served NYCFC's needs, by bringing in a world-class keeper.

Finally, coming to NYCFC would have served Hart's needs, by guaranteeing him first-team action in his efforts to remain England's no. 1. But here we run into the perception problem that MLS still suffers under. Even if we could somehow have brought Hart in, one wonders whether England manager Sam Allardyce would view a move to MLS as a major step down in quality. By contrast, a move from the Premier League to Serie A will surely be seen as lateral.

Anyway, this is a case where we really chafe under MLS rules, and where being "a Man City farm club" would be a great thing!

I still think that NYCFC missed the boat by not going after former Barcelona and Spain keeper Victor Valdes (who has been around forever, but is nevertheless a year younger than Saunders) while he was languishing on Man United's bench and in Louis van Gaal's doghouse. Valdes has now signed with newly-promoted Middlesbrough, where he will have to fight it out with Brad Guzan. It's hard to see how that's better than starting every match for NYCFC. But, maybe even Boro are paying him more than we could.
I don't disagree with your sentiments about the league but it's not that Pep had any issue with Hart it's just Pep plays out of the back and Hart doesn't. And we'd have the same situation here as well, of course. So I agree with your MLS points but just not about it applying to Joe Hart coming here.

He would definitely (not surprisingly) have been an upgrade in virtually every respect, but Hart is known for having stone feet, which I believe would be a deal-breaker for PV. JS has improved from terrible to adequate in that respect, so it's clear that he is prepared to roll with it, wisely or not.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Rais M'Bolhi - Philadelphia Union (former)
Tim Howard - Colorado Rapids

Off the top of my head.

Don't forget that RBNY star keeper DP Frank Rost, who arrived mid-season to promptly pull a muscle while sitting on a long cross-country flight and miss a number of games.

Reactions: gbservis

MLS has been very clear that any first team player from Man City would count against the cap as a DP regardless of how much salary Man City pays. Red Bulls tried have Omer Damari come in from RB Leipzig as a non-DP even though he makes well over a million, but MLS said no hes a DP.

Side note we actually had to have written into our charter that we were allowed four EDS loans a season.

Don't forget that RBNJ star keeper DP Frank "Rump" Rost, who arrived mid-season to promptly pull a muscle while sitting on a long cross-country flight and miss a number of games.
FYP

He would definitely (not surprisingly) have been an upgrade in virtually every respect, but Hart is known for having stone feet, which I believe would be a deal-breaker for PV. JS has improved from terrible to adequate in that respect, so it's clear that he is prepared to roll with it, wisely or not.
I would definitely take Hart, and be up for paying another keeper more than Saunders even if he isn't great in playing out of the back.

But no way in hell should we pay that kind of money for a keeper who doesn't fit PV's system.

Reactions: JayH
150k isn't really that much for Saunders. Majority of teams pay a GK more than that and most of the teams that pay under 150k either have goalies on HGP or Rookie contracts.

In 2014 Julio Cesar came to TFC on loan from an English club I believe, not sure if he was a Designated Player or not, but it was basically to get him playing time in advance of the World Cup. He didn't even last a full season.

he wasn't a dp