Supporter Motto

"Ne Cede Malis" which is the Bronx motto.

Yield not to evil. It would make a lot of sense to use some kind of latin especially since the club haven't incorporated any motto/phrase into the club badge. The Bronx stuff fits since the club is likely to start(and hopefully continue) in that area and its something that would fit generally anyway. A large banner with those words would look good even if some could say "evil" is a bit strong in a football context. Its not supposed to be taken quite that literally though.

I know latin, so if anyone has anything they want to see in a phrase, I can put it into latin.

Well some teams took their latin mottos from their hometown/city. Also nobody says it would be an official motto of the club but rather an unofficial motto of the supporters. Would there be any kind of trademark over using the phrase "ne cede malis" or similar on SC merchandise, etc.? A banner wouldn't pose any such problem and its irrelevant if other MLS sides don't use them.

Well some teams took their latin mottos from their hometown/city. Also nobody says it would be an official motto of the club but rather an unofficial motto of the supporters. Would there be any kind of trademark over using the phrase "ne cede malis" or similar on SC merchandise, etc.? A banner wouldn't pose any such problem and its irrelevant if other MLS sides don't use them.
I guess what I am asking is what is the point of a motto?

Not trying to demean the idea, it is a genuine question.

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't mind if the SC (or SCs) used a latin phrase as the name of the whole group. There's a lot of things that have been discussed where you could pose the question what's the point. I just like the use of latin personally nothing really beyond that. Once again the club has no official motto perhaps they want the fans to come up with one...who knows?

Well I wouldn't mind if the SC (or SCs) used a latin phrase as the name of the whole group. There's a lot of things that have been discussed where you could pose the question what's the point. I just like the use of latin personally nothing really beyond that. Once again the club has no official motto perhaps they want the fans to come up with one...who knows?
I guess my question was: if it is not meant to be unique to the club, then what purpose does it serve. A badge is a visual representation of the team. A name is also a representation of the team. I guess I assumed the same is true with the motto, so it should represent and be unique to the team.

If we just use the city's motto, does that really represent our team?

I don't know the answer, but maybe I am misunderstanding the point.

I really like going for the 5 boros one city in latin deal. The out of five we are one ... also ... I took Latin in high school but cheated my way through a mandatory 3 years of it ... how/why did you learn it?