Team Anthem By Opening Day?

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Here's a different view at this...
Do you guys want us to have a 'team' song (like YNWA or Bluemoon) by the start of the season OR how about the club plays different songs every week and at the end of the season we select the best one and inherit that...

I don't want to have a team anthem by opening day because no matter what it would be forced. I'm not even sure I want a team anthem. Like Buckley Buckley said when it happens, it happens.

Reactions: Fireman1201
The only song that would be such an obvious nobrainer, the only song that everybody knows and connects with NYC to the extend that for some here it's even too cliché to use it, would be "New York, New York". I think it's a great song with the right kind of notoriously uplifting lyrics and a perfect tempo to bawl it out in unison, and it already practically is the anthem of the city. While I get where its critics are coming from, an anthem should be something that the whole stadium is easily able to sing along to and therefore NYNY is the only song that I could see working from the get-go.

It's Yankee Stadium . . . so just like the end of Yankee games, it's gotta be Sinatra's "New York, New York".

Forgive me, a genuine question, If you are against songs like bluemoon because its too much "MCFC" (fair enough) if the Yankees use it would you not think it might isolate non Yankees fans.

Perhaps you can do it with a twist (perhaps a faster beat) or need to find a unique song. Perhaps New York State of Mind by Billy Joel.

Forgive me, a genuine question, If you are against songs like bluemoon because its too much "MCFC" (fair enough) if the Yankees use it would you not think it might isolate non Yankees fans.

Perhaps you can do it with a twist (perhaps a faster beat) or need to find a unique song. Perhaps New York State of Mind by Billy Joel.
I agree with you. To me, the song is popular only because it's Frank Sinatra and because we're told it's "the goto NY song". You know who likes NY NY?
  • Non-native people that have a Television-like fantasy of what NYC is
  • Native's who are tasked with the responsibility of putting together an audio playlist for a canned All-Things NYC event.
  • Vocal repertoire for an elementary school performance/play/assembly.

Grown-ass men and women should not be singing this song at a sports venue. or a bar. or ever.

If we're forcing ourselves to sing a NYC song I would like to see some of the ones suggested in the earlier days of the forum:

Reactions: Fireman1201
"New York, New York" (and "Enter the Sandman") are Yankee Stadium staples, just like "Take me out to the ballgame" at Wrigley Field or "You'll never walk alone" at Anfield. You're going to be guests there for 3 years, you have to respect that.

Once NYCFC builds and starts playing in their soccer-specific stadium (which better be in one of the five boroughs, insha'allah), it'll be a whole new ball game (npi), whole new traditions, etc.

When it happens it happens. No rush. Also:
1) am I the only one that is kinda tired of NY NY?
2) it's a Yankees song already.
3) I recommend we look to song anthems that don't necessarily SAY "New York" in the title. Talk about forced...

Reactions: CP_Scouse
When it happens it happens. No rush. Also:
1) am I the only one that is kinda tired of NY NY?
2) it's a Yankees song already.
3) I recommend we look to song anthems that don't necessarily SAY "New York" in the title. Talk about forced...
You're not the only one.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Maybe New York Groove? I know it says new york, but wouldnt it be nice to get back into the ny groove of winning?

The New York Groove is used when the Giants score a touchdown. We should come up with something unique.