The Most Popular Clubs In Mls

NYCFCFan10

Registered
Mar 23, 2014
The data for this ranking is composed over the course of 3 years (and thus NYCFC and Orlando are not included) and is based on Google searches:

MLS-Ranking-1-600x715.jpg

Jesus, if Jersey can hit #3 while accomplishing nothing, what's our limit?

Also, mindblowing how low Vancouver is. Almost calls into question the validity of this but the rest of it looks spot on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
If the numbers are based off of Google searches, then Red Bulls probably get a boost from people worldwide looking up/comparing the other Red Bull teams and just from being the team in New York (getting linked to players just because it's New York and one of the only MLS teams/cities that European journos know).

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
I would guess most of those RB google searches were for people looking for info on Thierry Henry and Tim Cahill. Like most of the MLS teams.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
no way the whitecaps would be this low. they get good attendances and media coverage.

I know that Seattle is the most popular club in the league by basically every measurement, but why is that? I see they are founded more recently than other teams, and they haven't won a lot.. is it Seattle? that isn't a huge place, is it?
Is it because of the sweet Xbox jerseys? :cool:

I know that Seattle is the most popular club in the league by basically every measurement, but why is that? I see they are founded more recently than other teams, and they haven't won a lot.. is it Seattle? that isn't a huge place, is it?
Is it because of the sweet Xbox jerseys? :cool:
Seattle is a pretty big town, young and wealthy (Microsoft and Amazon call it home) and they LOVE being counter-culture.

18-Seattle%20skyline_tcm68-15480.jpg

Seattle was the first squad to start the wave of USMNT coming home. I don't count Landon Donovan because he really never left at his peak. Dempsey started Bradley and Altidore returning home. Created a ton of buzz to have the USMNT Captain join in.

When you factor in all the other things that people buzz about Seattle (buzz of the team, success, rivalry, attendance figures), it makes sense. Same with LAG.

Agree RBNY is about Thierry Henry.

Seattle has done a great job of getting fans to show up. As a result, ESPN LOVES putting Sounders games, especially v. Portland, on TV because the crowds sell the games. Thus, MLS fans across the country who don't have a local team see a lot of sounders and end up becoming sounders fans.
Yep, Portland's paper released a map showing the reach of their supporter groups. Really impressive for such a relatively young team in such a small town.

-3ca42587bba67fcc.jpg

The data for this ranking is composed over the course of 3 years (and thus NYCFC and Orlando are not included) and is based on Google searches:

MLS-Ranking-1-600x715.jpg

Jesus, if Jersey can hit #3 while accomplishing nothing, what's our limit?

Also, mindblowing how low Vancouver is. Almost calls into question the validity of this but the rest of it looks spot on.

Are these based on searches originating from within the US? Could explain why Impact and Whitecaps are so low.

If the numbers are based off of Google searches, then Red Bulls probably get a boost from people worldwide looking up/comparing the other Red Bull teams and just from being the team in New York.

maybe we can game the search engine by re-branding NYCFC as Apple iPhone FC? That way, we'd always been the most searched MLS team.

Yep, Portland's paper released a map showing the reach of their supporter groups. Really impressive for such a relatively young team in such a small town.

-3ca42587bba67fcc.jpg
thats alot of supoprters groups. Are there really that many people from Portland soccer fans that they would have that many groups even in the east east too? Also since they team hasnt really won much, i think they had a run to conference finals.

or are they fans because they like how the supporters groups at timbers home games look like on TV ?

maybe we can game the search engine by re-branding NYCFC as Apple iPhone FC? That way, we'd always been the most searched MLS team.

If we're going that route, I think you'd have much more success with "Kate Upton FC." Maybe you can get her to do ad like she's doing in THOSE BLEEP BLEEP BLEEPING ADS THAT POP UP ON EVERY APP FOR SOME STUPID GAME THAT ISN'T LIKE HALF AS GOOD AS CLASH OF CLANS

Whew. I don't know where that came from. Continue on

thats alot of supoprters groups. Are there really that many people from Portland soccer fans that they would have that many groups even in the east east too? Also since they team hasnt really won much, i think they had a run to conference finals.

or are they fans because they like how the supporters groups at timbers home games look like on TV ?
timbers-army-shows-love-for-their-sidejpg-b8a5e1686028fc95.jpg

240534_10151183312472236_1282940501_o.jpg

Joey.jpg