Third Rail : A Plastic Supporter Group ?

I just joined the Third Rail. Why? Because $30 isn't that much and I didn't want to feel like an outsider at the away supporter sections at some games and other away games at bars (when I turn 21 during the season).

Fabio, thanks for supporting the club all the way in Colorado. It shows how committed you are to this club to fly all the way from Italy to bleed blue for us! Thank you!

Reactions: DiRoma
Being a fellow Napolitano and a die-hard fan of Napoli (FORZA NAPOLI SEMPRE!!) and Serie A, I can understand where Fabio is coming from. Supporter Group culture in Italy is much different from here in the US. The Ultras there show up to EVERY away game, in large groups, no matter the distance. Yes, the distances between cities in Italy is much more manageable than here, but Napoli played Dynamo Moscow last week in Russia and the Ultras where there in big numbers.

I think Fabio just needs to realize that American SGs don't go to away games. It's just part of the culture here.

Reactions: Fabio
5) They received with much advance 200 tickets by the FO Orlando City and the ridicolous result is that ONLY 77 persons ( and surely not all belonging to the TR....... ) have bought the ticket. What is the meaning to have over 1.700 members, if then maybe 30 or 40 of them will be at Orlando for our historical debut vs supporters ( 65.000 !! ) which wish our rivalry ?
Those numbers were probably inflated a bit by the implication that in order to get supporters tickets (the cheapest ones), you had to be a Third Rail member.

Passive? A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of a sheep.
I honestly hope that we never stoop to Orlando's level. Those guys are pitiful.

Reactions: einwindir
Fans of certain European clubs definitely get travel help. Tottenham chartered not one, but TWO planes to fly Spurs fans to Newcastle next month. FOR FREE.

Being a fellow Napolitano and a die-hard fan of Napoli (FORZA NAPOLI SEMPRE!!) and Serie A, I can understand where Fabio is coming from. Supporter Group culture in Italy is much different from here in the US. The Ultras there show up to EVERY away game, in large groups, no matter the distance. Yes, the distances between cities in Italy is much more manageable than here, but Napoli played Dynamo Moscow last week in Russia and the Ultras where there in big numbers.

I think Fabio just needs to realize that American SGs don't go to away games. It's just part of the culture here.
Plus doesn't Italy have an extremely high unemployment rate? Probably helps that nobody has to wake up for work in the morning. :p

New York sports away support has always been well represented because there are so many transplanted New Yorkers across the country. Combined with the fact that our teams have great historical significance and longevity in their leagues.
I can't stress enough that we are literally brand new! We will get there.
I agree that we will probably never get thousands of people traveling from NY to Colorado, but we will over time build solid support in away matches with the more rabid of us making the north east/I95 trips.

Reactions: kylelovescrayons

Thank you Drainyoo, I see that you realizes my enormous passion for the NYCFC, a club that I waited since 1994 ( for the first season of the 1996 ), when among the 10 teams chosen by the MLS there wasn't a NYC team !!!! You can't even immagine the insults which I have received ( above all by the NJRB and Cosmos fans...... ) only because I wanted a true NYC soccer team and now that finallly the dream has become reality I wish the better for it. When yesterday I watched the game on Eurosport and I noticed that in away sector there were only about 4 or 5 NYCFC shirts ( biggest honour for these fantastic boys !! ) I was very disappointed. I know the enormous distances, but I hoped that at least a small group ( even only 50 persons but with the BANNER of the group ) was present in all the away games and instead not even a flag in the NYCFC sector after only the second NYCFC away game.........
I am a great supporter of the Napoli, but I have great admiration for our great rival of the Verona.... They bring 300 fans in Cagliari ( isle of the Sardinia ) in a Wednesday evening and over 200 in Palermo with many negative scores and a great rivalry with these 2 teams !! But even in USA some teams ( Portland and Seattle supporters ) have this mentality.
However always FORZA NYCFC !!!!!

P.S. I never said that TR is a 100% a plastic supporter group, but my was a simple challenging question...

Last edited:
Just an honest question ,over in the UK we are under the impression that internal flights are very cheap in the us .is this the case ? Just curious how much would a flight to Colorado cost and how long of a flight is it out of NY ?

Just an honest question ,over in the UK we are under the impression that internal flights are very cheap in the us .is this the case ? Just curious how much would a flight to Colorado cost and how long of a flight is it out of NY ?
It will vary week to week and I can't the past, but next weekend, flying NY-Denver on Saturday morning and returning Sunday the cheapest fares are just over $500 round trip, plus hotel and local transport. Non-stop flight is about 4.5 hours going west and 3.75 hours coming east. Plus hope the flight isn't delayed or you miss the game, or fly Friday night and pay for an extra hotel night

Reactions: danger
It will vary week to week and I can't the past, but next weekend, flying NY-Denver on Saturday morning and returning Sunday the cheapest fares are just over $500 round trip, plus hotel and local transport. Non-stop flight is about 4.5 hours going west and 3.75 hours coming east. Plus hope the flight isn't delayed or you miss the game, or fly Friday night and pay for an extra hotel night
Oh right surprised its that dear we used to here of people getting like a season ticket for an airline and just hoping on and off like a bus even booking flights so they slept on the plane to avoid hotel bills.that must have stopped now then.

Oh right surprised its that dear we used to here of people getting like a season ticket for an airline and just hoping on and off like a bus even booking flights so they slept on the plane to avoid hotel bills.that must have stopped now then.
It's definitely cheaper in Europe. There is no equivelent to economy airlines like RyanAir. We used to have a lot of cheap domestics like JetBlue, Southwest and SpiritAir but as usual corporate greed and an unsustainable business model has turned them into "competitively priced" airlines.

Reactions: danger

Now that's what I call an away trip, there's me thinking a trip to Swindon on Wednesday night was hard work!

You really have no clue what you are talking about. But keep on racking up those posts.
Um. What are you talking about, dude. There is not a significant traveling away support in the US. I was at the Red Bull game tonight. The RB/Metro v DC United rivalry goes back as far as the league. There were only maybe 50-75 Bara Brava/District Ultras from DC.

Ignore the tone of that previous post. That should have never made it to the board. I also believe that fair intelligent discourse is preferable to hit and run mudslinging.

Back to the conversation.
From what I have seen the supporters of some of the MLS teams do travel pretty well. I'm not talking thousands except on the rare occasion but rather a couple of busloads. NE packed their section last week and when I have been at Red Bull Arena in the past they have sported a full section of visitors. Obviously due to cost and time the cross country match ups don't see as many people traveling.