Timbers Trade for Discovery Rights to Gbenga Arokoyo

True enough,but why not just make the trade for GAM instead? That's a far more universal trade commodity.

You can only trade for what the other team is willing to give up. Remember, this is only the discovery rights to a player we no longer need (nor want) and don't have the international roster spot for. Portland knew this, the league knew this. It's probably the best we could get.

Reactions: wolfehr and Kjbert
You always hold out for as many assets as possible. Just because we have found 3rd Round choices to be useless, it can be a small sweetener to a different deal. You always want to accumulate as many assets as possible in case you ever need them.

Another place where US Sports are vastly different than European sports. American teams always load up on assets of various use. In Europe, it's just cash.

Reactions: Gene
"Discovery rights" are probably the most hilarious thing in MLS.
When my I told my wife that we "sold" Poku, she was upset, but couldn't stop laughing that we "sold" a person.
I also love when NFL teams make some relatively unimportant player, like a kicker or free safety or something, their "franchise player" (if they still have that at all).

Sports are funny!

Reactions: Kjbert