Toronto (Away) - Postmatch

Reactions: adam and JayH
Sometimes I wonder. Does he ever talk to Pep? What could they say? What does Pep think? Is he surprised. I mean, this is his #1 guy and he's failing completely.
Dome was hardly a success before he joined up with Pep, and during that time he had a team made up of average players. The only success Dome has known has been with Pep, when they've arguably had the top players in the world. Creating a game plan for all-world players is easy compared to dealing with the average joe (not joe ) and understanding their limitations. So Dome can come up with all kinds of intricate schemes for Silva, Messi, and Mueller, and they work either because the players are talented enough to pull them off or they're just ballers and freelance so Dome still looks good. In MLS, it's harder to manage a team of Average to Above-average players, and a manager's inability to understand those limitations and what can be achieve is cast in the spotlight when things quickly go south.

So here's food for thought..... what if 2018 Isi was him over-achieving, as opposed to raising his game to a new "normal", and as an outlier of a season he's now reverting back to the mean??? Or what if Maxi's 2018 was an outlier? Or Tinny's? Medina's was wholeheartedly an outlier. What if they only looked as good as they did due the system, the sum of the whole is worth more than the individual parts, and without having a methodology that executes through very explicit if/then movements on/off the ball, these guys aren't able to execute at a high level? PV's system was very regimented with specific movement and flow from teammates off the ball to always provide 2-3 outlets that players could often pass to without looking since they knew a player was going to fill a zone, and he drilled it to muscle memory. Without that rote system, what if these guys aren't able to execute a less rigid game plan???? Not letting Dome off the hook in any way, but how do we know we didn't get Peak performance last season and the majority of the team is reverting to their mean because Domeball is so badly suited to cultivate their talent?

Dome was hardly a success before he joined up with Pep, and during that time he had a team made up of average players. The only success Dome has known has been with Pep, when they've arguably had the top players in the world. Creating a game plan for all-world players is easy compared to dealing with the average joe (not joe ) and understanding their limitations. So Dome can come up with all kinds of intricate schemes for Silva, Messi, and Mueller, and they work either because the players are talented enough to pull them off or they're just ballers and freelance so Dome still looks good. In MLS, it's harder to manage a team of Average to Above-average players, and a manager's inability to understand those limitations and what can be achieve is cast in the spotlight when things quickly go south.

So here's food for thought..... what if 2018 Isi was him over-achieving, as opposed to raising his game to a new "normal", and as an outlier of a season he's now reverting back to the mean??? Or what if Maxi's 2018 was an outlier? Or Tinny's? Medina's was wholeheartedly an outlier. What if they only looked as good as they did due the system, the sum of the whole is worth more than the individual parts, and without having a methodology that executes through very explicit if/then movements on/off the ball, these guys aren't able to execute at a high level? PV's system was very regimented with specific movement and flow from teammates off the ball to always provide 2-3 outlets that players could often pass to without looking since they knew a player was going to fill a zone, and he drilled it to muscle memory. Without that rote system, what if these guys aren't able to execute a less rigid game plan???? Not letting Dome off the hook in any way, but how do we know we didn't get Peak performance last season and the majority of the team is reverting to their mean because Domeball is so badly suited to cultivate their talent?
This is the leading hypothesis for me. Ironically Albert Puig writes about the importance of muscle memory and repetition. Granted, we don't see everything that goes on, but I don't see any walkthrough type training or warm up routines. Our warm ups look very Sunday league, a stark contrast to the Vieira era.

Add to that the fact that we don't play a consistent system and it's no surprise that we look lost and disconnected on the pitch.

Reactions: Schwallacus
This is the leading hypothesis for me. Ironically Albert Puig writes about the importance of muscle memory and repetition. Granted, we don't see everything that goes on, but I don't see any walkthrough type training or warm up routines. Our warm ups look very Sunday league, a stark contrast to the Vieira era.

Add to that the fact that we don't play a consistent system and it's no surprise that we look lost and disconnected on the pitch.
Yep. Everything about this team looks sunday Rec league and it starts with the manager.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
It's such a nice day outside today. Marred due to the terrible performance yesterday.

Does it help that the Red Bulls lost 1-0 on an own goal?
giphy.gif

If Atlanta draw, based on the current results, we would end the week in last place in the East. I don't think we've ever been in last place.

For me one of the most glaring shortcomings last night is the fact that Toronto spent $10M to bring a guy who, a few days after landing has already had a better game that any of our DPs not named Villa has ever had. Meanwhile, we spent almost $9M in a flashy and talented guy who looks more a complementary piece that a guy who you'd build a team around. Where's the freaking scouting? And yes, we already have Maxi as a 10. I don't care. Pozuelo has needed exactly 1 game to show more than Maxi in 2.5 years. Every single ball he touched was a potential assist, and his physical strength allowed him to avoid pressure much better than Maxi. We've had 6 tries and 1 success in Villa and 1 semi-success in Maxi. Toronto in 4 tries has hit it out of the park twice (Giovinco is the other) and has done reasonably well with Bradley and Jozy. It is a complete failure.

For me one of the most glaring shortcomings last night is the fact that Toronto spent $10M to bring a guy who, a few days after landing has already had a better game that any of our DPs not named Villa has ever had. Meanwhile, we spent almost $9M in a flashy and talented guy who looks more a complementary piece that a guy who you'd build a team around. Where's the freaking scouting? And yes, we already have Maxi as a 10. I don't care. Pozuelo has needed exactly 1 game to show more than Maxi in 2.5 years. Every single ball he touched was a potential assist, and his physical strength allowed him to avoid pressure much better than Maxi. We've had 6 tries and 1 success in Villa and 1 semi-success in Maxi. Toronto in 4 tries has hit it out of the park twice (Giovinco is the other) and has done reasonably well with Bradley and Jozy. It is a complete failure.

And toronto did it with 2 different GMs.

What was also frustrating to watch was how their two strikers played off each other with the new DP right under them. Have always thought two strikers are way more potent than a CF and two wingers because the two CB’s are tied up leaving the free attacking mid to fly through and also forcing the outside backs to pinch in pulling them out of position. And hey, Toronto tore up the back line.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Lampard was excellent when he played.