Toronto (Away) - Postmatch

Medina did a full video explanation of it last year. I thought it was pretty interesting.

You can also get it pre-made in bottles at most bodegas if you wanna live that Taty life but also want to be able to use your hands.

cc mgarbowski mgarbowski
If you listen to the maxi podcast video, he talks about how he got the other teammates addicted to an argentinian drink called "Mate", which is that..
There is also this bit of info, to learn more of the difference between what Medina is drinking vs. Maxi and Taty;

"The difference between the two drinks lies mainly in the temperature of the water used for the infusion. Tereré is typically consumed with cold water, while mate is essentially a hot drink (around 75°C). Being a cold and refreshing drink, tereré is widely consumed in warmer regions and mate in regions with lower temperatures, such as southern Brazil and Argentina."

SOURCE.

There is also this bit of info, to learn more of the difference between what Medina is drinking vs. Maxi and Taty;

"The difference between the two drinks lies mainly in the temperature of the water used for the infusion. Tereré is typically consumed with cold water, while mate is essentially a hot drink (around 75°C). Being a cold and refreshing drink, tereré is widely consumed in warmer regions and mate in regions with lower temperatures, such as southern Brazil and Argentina."

SOURCE.
So basically mate in the winter, tereré in the summer for NYC. Or if K Kjbert is right, tereré wherever Medina ends up.

So basically mate in the winter, tereré in the summer for NYC. Or if K Kjbert is right, tereré wherever Medina ends up.
Putting it all together, I'm seeing a South American method of brewing tea that is somewhat similar to Turkish coffee, but for tea and using a straw, in both hot and iced versions.

Does anyone know if there is a filter built into those mugs that prevents the solid stuff from reaching the bottom and clogging up the straw?

Putting it all together, I'm seeing a South American method of brewing tea that is somewhat similar to Turkish coffee, but for tea and using a straw, in both hot and iced versions.

Does anyone know if there is a filter built into those mugs that prevents the solid stuff from reaching the bottom and clogging up the straw?
Generally the straw has a filter at the end I think. I think this also might be why you're supposed to put the mate in at an angle and fill the water in at the other side.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Generally the straw has a filter at the end I think. I think this also might be why you're supposed to put the mate in at an angle and fill the water in at the other side.
Yep, it’s a ritual and the straw is shared. Maté is actually bigger in Uruguay than in Argentina or Brazil, even in Summer. People lug these elaborate rigs everywhere because there doesn’t seem to be a Starbucks of Maté.

The Medina Maté video is the only noteworthy thing he’s produced since July, but generally speaking, I’m all for more Maté drinkers on our roster.

Mate is the hot version (well, warm more than hot). Often in a narrow metal cup, with the straw in the bottom. You sort of build layers of mate leaves and sugar until the cup is full, after which the water is poured in. The straw is metal, with sort of a what would be a tea ball on the bottom end of the straw except that it keeps the tea out rather than keeping it in.

And yes, I see you with your raised eyebrow over there. My first real girlfriend (not counting elementary school crushes and the like) was from Argentina. I had tons of mate, her mom's homemade empanadas, and all sorts of dulce de leche pastries all through college.