Training Thread

This seemed best placed here so put on your tinfoil hats and indulge me.

We all know NYCFC have faced injuries this season, in game injuries are to be expected. We've seen Nemec, Calle and Wingert go down and have to be substituted off. That is all considered part of the game and par for the course.

What isn't expected are our players picking up injuries... seemingly out of nowhere. I've found several instances where that seems to be the case, so indulge me as I put on my tinfoil hat and look further into this.

I pulled all of these injuries from the NYCFC website's injury reports with some games missing from that list. (Apparently we had no one injured in the entire month of April). I only listed players here who were healthy the game before only to appear as injured before the next game.

3/25
Sebastian Velasquez was injured in practice (the team admitted this in the injury report) after being substituted off in the 70th minute of a 0-0 draw to Colorado.

5/14
Ned Grabavoy (pelvis) - questionable
He went the full 90 in the game prior (loss to RBNY)

5/29
Jeb Brovksy (right quad strain) - questionable He went the full 90 in game prior, a 2-0 loss to RSL

6/5/15
Khiry Shelton (left MCL sprain) - doubtful
He played 33 minutes as a second half sub in the game prior, a 1-1 draw to Houston.

6/20
Ryan Meara (right adductor) - out
Was unused substitute on the bench the game prior (3-1 win)

7/4
Ned Grabavoy (fractured toe) - questionable
Jason Hernandez (grastroc soreness)
Both players went the full 90 in the game prior (3-1 loss to RBNY)

7/18
Khiry Shelton (MCL sprain) - probable
Was unused substitute on the bench the game prior so either it's a re-injury or a new injury.

7/25
Ryan Meara (back) - quesionable Was not in the gameday lineup the game prior

8/19
Mehdi Ballouchy (left adductor) - out Was not in the gameday line the game prior

Today Andoni Iraola was reported to have suffered from a calf injury which will sideline him for several weeks. He also went the full 90 in the game prior.

Here are 11 instances in which players were healthy the game prior and injured before next game took place.

If this happened once or twice a season that would be unfortunate luck, to have it happen 11 times with multiple players seems like a bit of a stretch to say it's a coincidence. Is our training staff that inept? Are our training sessions held in a steel cage?

My tinfoil hat theory: some of these players have been benched for their performances or lack thereof, and have been listed as injured by Kreis to spare them from scrutiny in the press and by fans.

Reactions: Paul
I will say, can you imagine the shit Kreis would get for starting a youth coach over Iraola. Which will probably happen Saturday with Iraola 'injured' now.
*takes off hat*
Of course he didn't bench Grabavoy after those shit games because fans were outraged, he just happened to pick up an injury during practice.

You have to check other teams, if they have similar numbers that would suggest it's just soccer.
Also most of those players are older. Age is a factor.
That's one of the things that stuck out to me.

Ballouchy, Hernandez and Grabavoy are 32, Iraola is 33 but the rest of those guys are 26 or younger.

It would also be different if they were injured in games like Wingert has been but these guys picked up injuries in practice. That seems… so bizarre to me.

You're right, I need to look at other teams to get a better idea, I'll see if I can compare it to fellow expansion team Orlando tomorrow.

Just one case, but Grabavoy also got clocked on the field at the end of the 5/14 NJRB game and was limping around. It happened right in front of where I was sitting and made an impression because I remember thinking that maybe, finally, he wouldn't play the full next game.

This seemed best placed here so put on your tinfoil hats and indulge me.

We all know NYCFC have faced injuries this season, in game injuries are to be expected. We've seen Nemec, Calle and Wingert go down and have to be substituted off. That is all considered part of the game and par for the course.

What isn't expected are our players picking up injuries... seemingly out of nowhere. I've found several instances where that seems to be the case, so indulge me as I put on my tinfoil hat and look further into this.

I pulled all of these injuries from the NYCFC website's injury reports with some games missing from that list. (Apparently we had no one injured in the entire month of April). I only listed players here who were healthy the game before only to appear as injured before the next game.

3/25
Sebastian Velasquez was injured in practice (the team admitted this in the injury report) after being substituted off in the 70th minute of a 0-0 draw to Colorado.

5/14
Ned Grabavoy (pelvis) - questionable
He went the full 90 in the game prior (loss to RBNJ)

5/29
Jeb Brovksy (right quad strain) - questionable He went the full 90 in game prior, a 2-0 loss to RSL

6/5/15
Khiry Shelton (left MCL sprain) - doubtful
He played 33 minutes as a second half sub in the game prior, a 1-1 draw to Houston.

6/20
Ryan Meara (right adductor) - out
Was unused substitute on the bench the game prior (3-1 win)

7/4
Ned Grabavoy (fractured toe) - questionable
Jason Hernandez (grastroc soreness)
Both players went the full 90 in the game prior (3-1 loss to RBNJ)

7/18
Khiry Shelton (MCL sprain) - probable
Was unused substitute on the bench the game prior so either it's a re-injury or a new injury.

7/25
Ryan Meara (back) - quesionable Was not in the gameday lineup the game prior

8/19
Mehdi Ballouchy (left adductor) - out Was not in the gameday line the game prior

Today Andoni Iraola was reported to have suffered from a calf injury which will sideline him for several weeks. He also went the full 90 in the game prior.

Here are 11 instances in which players were healthy the game prior and injured before next game took place.

If this happened once or twice a season that would be unfortunate luck, to have it happen 11 times with multiple players seems like a bit of a stretch to say it's a coincidence. Is our training staff that inept? Are our training sessions held in a steel cage?

My tinfoil hat theory: some of these players have been benched for their performances or lack thereof, and have been listed as injured by Kreis to spare them from scrutiny in the press and by fans.

I think its more that these players were hurt in the game and keep going because they are professional athletes.
as a weekend warrior I can tell you that many a time I gutted out a 13 mile run or a 10 mile mud race and only got paid with a loss of blood and sweat. these guys are pros and have to be taken off the field. if they can still walk they are playing.

12118650_507857272721067_2583574917884464051_n.jpg

Who's the bearded guy?

Lol its Kreis, the question mark wasn't for who it was, but for why his pants are in that shape while he is staring at his beloved Grabavoy. Just a joke, but that pic is just about as good a summary of our season as any. I just couldn't help myself.

Haha, I see it now but - man, the first time I looked at him, I honestly saw his hair as the middle-aged-man bob-of-hair-in-the-middle-of-bald-head. I completely saw past his face actually looking like Kreis...and also his sideways erection.

In my defence, it was 3am...

Reactions: SayWhat44
I wonder if he is back in the mix for 2016.
I would think that is almost a certainty. He only just turned 20 years old in September. He also logged the 5th most minutes for Wilmington this past season and that includes the starting goalkeeper and NYCFC player Andre Rawls. We didn't get to see much of him in preseason I think he only played once maybe twice and that was very limited minutes.

EDIT: It should be noted that Wilmington was dreadful this past season finishing last.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul