U.s. To Host 2016 Copa America

Can we transfer Dempsey to Argentinian or Chilean citizenship for the next hour or so?

Well, can't say this hasn't been entertaining. 0-0 after 90 minutes, now into extra time for 30 more minutes.

I feel bad for Messi. But at the same time it's always hard to feel bad for the best player in the world.

Congrats Chile!!! If it wasn't USA, I'm glad it was Chile. Now where's my pisco???

Reactions: Victors87
Wish I could have those two hours back should have Game of Thrones and Ray Donovan. These teams are both too good going forward to have produced such a dour two hours of football. Feh at least there was one good game and lots of goals at the Euros today.

I wouldn't write Chile that quickly. They are the defending champs and playing very well. With the US out at this point my biggest wish is for a competitive game and it looks like we are on track to get one.

Congrats! Your inner sense was right.
Chile won Fair and Square on the PK's ,
It was a great entertaining game with lost of drama .
The bad part was the referee, did had some effect on the game. I felt that he had a personal bias against Messi by yellowing him. When Messi tried talking to him he raised his arm and his body language the way I interpreted " Oh no you may be the best player of the world but with me none of that."
The saddest part was seeing Messi , so overcome with self blame and shame that he had missed that penalty.
the oddest part WHY Martino substituted Higuain,and De Maria. I felt that after they left Messi was so alone and the focus of the Chilean army hunting bloodhounds. He was marked by 3-4 guys every time Messi would break from the pack.

I am glad I:oops: am not a gambler- I would had lost every penny in my pockets

Reactions: gbservis and CatNYC
Chile's defensive strategy of "pile a minimum of four defenders on Messi if he ever touches a ball" worked better than it should have, and that may be partly because the whole Argentina team, and especially Messi, seemed to really be feeling the pressure. They're under such a hoodoo from their trophy drought...

That play late in AET when Mascherano comes storming forward and slide-tackles the ball away from Chile, knocking it in Messi's direction, and Messi picks it up and dribbles all the way to the left side of the box and then puts it wide... He just couldn't find the mojo tonight. It felt weird in warm-ups when he was taking dead ball shots from the top of the box and missed four or five of them before he put a few in the net. You could kind of tell he wasn't on it.

I found myself wondering how Claudio Bravo must have felt when Messi skied his penalty.

An amazing save apiece for each keeper in AET.

But man, that first half was a grind with the incessant fouling and all the violence off the ball. Disappointing.

But! For my first international soccer match I had a great time. Fantastic atmosphere, even with a near brawl breaking out in the section below me and several people getting ejected.

Reactions: CatNYC
Yeah, and now Aguero and Mascherano have followed him with reports that Di Maria, Lavezzi, Biglia and Higuain will too... Something's clearly not right in the Argentine camp.

So much for even qualifying for the World Cup in 2018 (Messi would be 31) or 2022 (Messi 35).

Messi retiring after losing the Copa America in New Jersey. There's definitely a Sopranos joke in there.

Also teams in sky blue and white haven't done well playing in New Jersey...

Yeah, and now Aguero and Mascherano have followed him with reports that Di Maria, Lavezzi, Biglia and Higuain will too... Something's clearly not right in the Argentine camp.
Agree. Messi's delayed plane tweet was certainly interesting. I sincerely hope his retiring was just said in the upset of the moment.