Update Tefu Mashamaite Cb -- Signed W/ Another Club

When his name was first brought up, we worked out the numbers on the salary. The consensus was that it really wasn't much.

When his name was first brought up, we worked out the numbers on the salary. The consensus was that it really wasn't much.

Yup. Likely in the $100-150k range. The average salary in South Africa is around $60k, and before he left he was asking for a 100% raise according to one outlet.

From the limited information out there he sounds like a big strong defender that is good in the air but not super fast. Seems like a nice complement to the smaller faster Facey.

From the limited information out there he sounds like a big strong defender that is good in the air but not super fast. Seems like a nice complement to the smaller faster Facey.

for what it is worth, his fifa ratings are beast. a 78 standing tackle? say whattttt. rated a better tackler than omar gonzalez….I know this has absolutely nothing to do with real life what so ever, but my fifa team gonna be stacked doe.

I've been getting lots of tweets from followers of the league in South Africa who are very excited about this. Nothing but support for the guy.

Hey guys. I joined the forum to find out more about NYCFC. I know Rosella and Grant (tweets above) and also work in SA soccer. I've posted this in another thread (sorry for double posts but it seems this is a better thread to post about Tefu Mashamaite):

I can tell you that Tefu Mashamaite is an excellent player coming from a pretty poor league if I'm honest. But he certainly deserves this chance. He only came through late in his career but he won all the awards in the past season and is very level-headed, intelligent, a good reader of the game and scores more than his fair share of goals despite being a left-footed centre-back.

I really hope he makes this move!

Any more info you want go here or click to the Kaizer Chiefs team page: http://www.kickoff.com/search?q=tefu+mashamaite&searchsubmit=Search+KickOff

The PSL is not the best league in the world by any stretch but my good friend Danleigh Borman played regularly for New York Red Bulls alongside Thierry Henry – yet when he came back to the PSL he couldn't make a team over here. He certainly held his own in the MLS though, so what I'm saying is, Tefu would definitely be a good addition to NYCFC. PSL is more physical while MLS is more technical. Nothing wrong with Tefu's technique though and he is solid.

Tefu was earning less than R100 000 ($8 000) per month at Kaizer Chiefs despite being their best centre-back for three seasons. That's why he left. He was not even in the top eight earners at the club, which has a reputation for being a very stingy, family-run business.

From the description of your defence, Mashamaite would certainly do a job - he is strong on set-pieces, especially offensively. He is also a very good passer. Chiefs conceded just 14 goals in 30 games last season and Mashamaite played every single minute of every league game.

Could you guys, as NYCFC fans, give me any information on the likelihood of Tefu Mashamaite earning a deal? What is your current defence like? What does it need? What is the average wage of a NYCFC player (i.e. will it be relatively cheap to sign Tefu having come from a poorer economy)? Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the info on Tefu.
Could you guys, as NYCFC fans, give me any information on the likelihood of Tefu Mashamaite earning a deal?
Our CB position at the very least needs a backup and could probably use an upgrade. Signs are looking very likely that he gets a deal. Last info I saw was that he has been given a 10 day trial with the team.
What is your current defence like?
Troubled. We are about to bring in two new quality FBs, one from La Liga, one from the MCFC youth academy. Our CB pair has been playing well of late, but as I said, could use an upgrade. Biggest limiting factor to bringing in a new CB right now is that we are about to replace both FBs. So not sure we want to also replace one of our CBs at the same time.
What is the average wage of a NYCFC player (i.e. will it be relatively cheap to sign Tefu having come from a poorer economy)?
Averages are deceptive because we have a few star players paid 20-30 times what the other players make. But lots of players in the 50-250/yr range. I understand Tefu was looking to double his wage. I would think if he is an upgrade for us that a 200k salary would be possible.

Reactions: adam and marky365
Averages are deceptive because we have a few star players paid 20-30 times what the other players make. But lots of players in the 50-250/yr range. I understand Tefu was looking to double his wage. I would think if he is an upgrade for us that a 200k salary would be possible.

Thanks for this info.
What do you reckon your current CBs earn?
From what we speculate, Tefu was asking for less than $200 000/yr from Chiefs, so personal terms shouldn't be a problem. I think he would be a very clever gamble for NYCFC and possibly a great signing [even better than Pirlo! ;) not quite].

Thanks for this info.
What do you reckon your current CBs earn?
From what we speculate, Tefu was asking for less than $200 000/yr from Chiefs, so personal terms shouldn't be a problem. I think he would be a very clever gamble for NYCFC and possibly a great signing [even better than Pirlo! ;) not quite].
I believe the player Tefu would replace in the lineup was making 216k.

Reactions: marky365