USMNT Talk

But... in the midfield?
1626639606676.png

But the back line makes sense given the personnel so I do think Sands is in the midfield, to answer Shwafta Shwafta.
I think Berhalter want to see James in both roles as CB and DM. This makes sense.
I was very intrigued to see what path GB was going to take when it came to applying Sands to the team. It makes sense to get a look at him in each of his familiar roles while he is with the team.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Also maybe GB wants to try the on-the-fly switch from 3 CB to 2 CB. Acosta can play D-Mid or play a more attacking role so he and James can switch around without needing to make any subs.
ETA A fluid 5-3-2 and 4-4-2 with a double pivot.

i think I read an article about this today.

Last edited:
Also maybe GB wants to try the on-the-fly switch from 3 CB to 2 CB. Acosta can play D-Mid or play a more attacking role so he and James can switch around without needing to make any subs.
ETA A fluid 5-3-2 and 4-4-2 with a double pivot.

i think I read an article about this today.
It would be best for Sands' future with the USMNT if GGG does try to on-the-fly switch between 2CB and 3CB, because that's where he provides even more value than just what he showed the other night. The tactical flexibility without necessary subs.

Stu Holden is raving about Sands, saying he's been a revelation etc.

Hope Sands is ok, he went down hurt and came back on but looks less than 100%

Reactions: SoupInNYC
This is a quote from Ives Galarcep:
"What Sands gives Berhalter is the kind of calm distributor and organizer in the heart of a 5-3-2 that can allow him to play the system when the full-strength USMNT squad is together, and the rest of the Gold Cup will give Sands a chance to strengthen his case for not only making the World Cup qualifying squad, but starting on that team."
His non-inclusion in the team that failed to qualify for the Olympics starts looking less like a mistake and more like a crime.