USMNT Talk

giphy-7.gif

How the fawk are Pefok and Sands not in the squad? How is Aaron Long of Red Bulls in the squad, but James Sands who was rock-solid in UCL qualifying, not? Like actually what?

Pekof being left off the squad is criminal. Especially seeing someone like Jordan Morris on there.

Pefok is just returning from injury. May be an instance of wanting to see Sargent (who has been absent from the team for some time) and letting Pefok rest. The 9 is far from settled - I wouldn't be shocked by any trio for Qatar, with only Ferreira a seeming lock.

Weah and Jedi also hurt. I bet both are in the final 26.

Sands had two rough games leading up to this break, but he still would provide great versatility. Bias aside, I'd rather take Sands than Cannon or some other CB/DM combination and bring extra attackers so the team can ride someone that gets hot.

Prediction time:

GOALKEEPERS (3)

preference

Sean Johnson
Gabriel Slonina
Matt Turner

prediction

Ethan Horvath
Sean Johnson
Matt Turner

Steffen has dropped far enough off the cliff that even GGG as to drop him now (right?).

DEFENDERS (9)

preference

Cameron Carter-Vickers
Sergiño Dest
Tim Ream
Chris Richards
Jedi Robinson
James Sands
Joe Scally
DeAndre Yedlin
Walker Zimmerman

prediction

Reggie Cannon
Cameron Carter-Vickers
Sergiño Dest
Aaron Long
Chris Richards
Jedi Robinson
Joe Scally
DeAndre Yedlin
Walker Zimmerman

I believe Cannon is more limited to position, regardless of time in a 3-5-2, but GGG seems to want more raw speed in back. That is why Ream hasn't received a sniff despite being left-footed and currently playing at the highest league level of any USMNT CB.

MIDFIELDERS (6)

preference

Kellyn Acosta
Tyler Adams
Luca de la Torre
Weston McKennie
Yunus Musah
Malik Tillman

prediction

Kellyn Acosta
Tyler Adams
Luca de la Torre
Weston McKennie
Yunus Musah
Malik Tillman

The midfield seems near set...but Roldan lingers.

FORWARDS (8)

preference

Brenden Aaronson
Paul Arriola
Jesús Ferreira
Jordan Pefok
Christian Pulisic
Gio Reyna
Josh Sargent
Tim Weah

prediction

Brenden Aaronson
Paul Arriola
Jesús Ferreira
Ricardo Pepi
Christian Pulisic
Gio Reyna
Josh Sargent
Tim Weah

GGG seems to want mobile 9's and not bigger, physical 9's. I believe it would be better to have a Pefok/Wright option, but I have doubts. Also, I am not necessarily a huge fan of Arriola, but all can agree he runs a tremendous amount and can be a bit of an ass. Having Arriola/Aaronson as a game changing press option is worth keeping Arriola on the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam and SoupInNYC
Pefok is just returning from injury. May be an instance of wanting to see Sargent (who has been absent from the team for some time) and letting Pefok rest.

I did not know this. Makes sense! And agreed about 9 position. It's so up in there air. A lot can change in form over the next two months.

I am largely okay with the roster that's been called in.

I understand Gregg's explanation on Pepi over Pefok - that he wants to give Pepi a chance to show his current form and that he knows what he's getting from Jordan. If Pepi shows well, people will be happy. If he doesn't, then Pefok is in position for November.

And I don't like Aaron Long getting called in, but I get it. Gregg has made clear that he needs a pacy CB to match with Zimmerman, and Long has better pace than Sands, Brooks or Ream.

If the white kit were merely boring, it would be better than this. The weird red stripes at the neck and on the sleeves are horrible. They seem to call back to 90s era, MLS 1.0 uniforms, and nothing should do that.
Just freaking stupid. An OG by Nike and USSoccer and they will fill the Marshalls and Nordstrom Racks of the world within a year. We need to punish the responsible parties by not buying them (wear an old one or a knockoff or a t-shirt instead), and anyone who pays for one deserves shame and ridicule.*

*Unless we win the World Cup, in which case I retract all of the above.

Reactions: adam and Shwafta
sad showing by USMNT.

i really don't know why they are ranked so high...
Yeah. Two things to point out. IMHO, there are the 6 or 7 elite teams that could win it all, and then the next 20 could very well be bunched together, even including teams such as Colombia or Italy that are not in the WC but are as strong as the US (in the case of Italy, probably stronger) The other thing is that Japan has a very defined style and a relatively smaller, more stable, player pool. A very organized, high-pressing team that transitions in a flash is kryptonite for a team that has always had trouble building from the back and moving as a unit. I still think the US is a favorite against Wales and Iran, but by the thinnest of margins.