USMNT Talk

With everything that just sorta blew up, if I were a coach I wouldn’t want to touch this position with a 15ft pole. Too much drama and doesn’t seem like it’s worth it. I get that this is more personal matters between friends but still having investigations going around seems like not a place I would want to work.

With everything that just sorta blew up, if I were a coach I wouldn’t want to touch this position with a 15ft pole. Too much drama and doesn’t seem like it’s worth it. I get that this is more personal matters between friends but still having investigations going around seems like not a place I would want to work.
Zidane yells at or doesn't play any random player.
Random Player's Great Aunt emails Cindy Parlow Cone: "Did you know Double Z head-butted someone?"

USMNT Twitter is about to find out that it's a lot harder to get an elite coach than just offering them a bucket of Benjamins.
Same fans also need to come to realize our Golden Generation is more like golden alloy plated. Way too many are chronically hurt or not getting regular playing time, and our squad quality is a quarter inch deep. Watching the quarterfinals and later really clarified to me the gap between those teams and us. If Taty were American he’d be at or very near the top of our striker depth chart and Argentina won’t even give him a look and neither would France, Croatia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal or England.

We’re good enough to beat any one of those teams maybe 5-10% of the time. We should expect to lose in the Round of 16, maybe score an upset, but it’s really not likely and no coach will magically change that. We are producing more players capable of playing in Europe, but there’s still a massive gap.

Too much USMNT fan analysis consists of counting UCL appearances as some supposed guarantee of super elite World Class quality and blaming everything on Arriola, Roldan, Zimmerman and Morris. Thinking we’ll jump levels up with the right coach is the same cargo cult thinking as blaming it all on no pro rel and pay-to-play.

Last edited:
Same fans also need to come to realize our Golden Generation is more like golden alloy plated. Way too many are chronically hurt or not getting regular playing time, and our squad quality is a quarter inch deep. Watching the quarterfinals and later really clarified to me the gap between those teams and us. If Taty were American he’d be at or very near the top of our striker depth chart and Argentina won’t even give him a look and neither would France, Croatia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal or England.

We’re good enough to beat any one of those teams maybe 5-10% of the time. We should expect to lose in the Round of 16, maybe score an upset, but it’s really not likely and no coach will magically change that. We are producing more players capable of playing in Europe, but there’s still a massive gap.

Too much USMNT fan analysis consists of counting UCL appearances as some supposed guarantee of super elite World Class quality and blaming everything on Arriola, Roldan, Zimmerman and Morris. Thinking we’ll jump levels up with the right coach is the same cargo cult thinking as blaming it all on no pro rel and pay-to-play.
I think you’re touching on the issue. But it’s depth, not skill that separates us from the top 10 nations. I think our top 8-9 matched up pretty well this WC vs the big boys. The issue was when we had injuries (Sargent) and had to make subs when our players got tired from overuse, due to lack of depth. Not playing Gio or bringing Pefok & Brooks sure added to that as well, but that’s a different conversation. Also pre-WC injuries like Miles Robinson helped to highlight how thin we truly are.

What helps is our team was the youngest at the WC and 95% will still be young enough to play in 2026. That means the new players coming up in the next 4 years can add to the main core we’ve established and solves that depth problem. I don’t think it puts us at the same level as a France or Brazil, very few nations are. That requires 2-3 true superstars, and we have yet to produce one. We hoped Pulisic might be that, and maybe something clicks. Maybe Adams, Gio & Weston makes that leap. Or someone we’re not expecting. But the current player pool along with 6-7 more younger players coming up, combined with top flight coaching, and we are in what believe R16 level at worst, probably quarterfinal level with the right things falling in place.

I also think we need to rethink the idea that we have to send our best players to play for the very top clubs in Europe. Especially the strikers. Because I think strikers develop by scoring goals, a lot of them, and carrying a team week in week out with the burden of having to score a goal at least every other game.
You rarely get that in the Premier League, Ligue 1, La Liga, Seria A or Bundesliga. The USMNT has only 2 forwards with 2 or more seasons of at least 0.50 Goals per 90: Haji Wright and Daryl Dike. Dike did it in MLS and Championship. Wright never managed it in Germany but did it in Denmark and Turkey. As a result, I trust both of those guys to score goals over Pulisic, Sargent, or Reyna for all their top league experience. Same for Taty, relative to my point earlier that he'd be a top American striker option if he could play for us. I want a guy who has scored goals consistently and had to be the guy on his team and was that guy, not someone who is one of 4-5 options, even if his team makes it to the UCL quarterfinals, and also not someone who we have to explain how his mid to bottom tier top league team doesn't create enough for him to excel.

ETA: I realize ambition means these guys will choose to go play at the highest level they can, and we can't stop them. But we shouldn't encourage it either.

Last edited:
I got a crazy idea to really help the USMNT grow. INVADE ENGLAND!! What’s that mean? No we don’t need zeppelins or a blitzkreig. But with all the American ownership in the PL, why can’t one owner sign as many USMNT players as they can? Think Leeds on steroids. Get Weston, Adams, Dest, Gio, Weah all on the same team in the PL and let them play together all year round against top competition. Like Germany does with Bayern or Spain does with Barca. I could really care less which team does it, I’ll root for them for sure and so would most Americans. And their ratings will be through the roof as well as merch sales. It’s and idea that would work both on the pitch and off it & become must watch TV as we’d have America’s team playing every Saturday. Pick your team to do it, or just keep doing it at Leeds, these are the current options: Arsenal, Aston Villa, Bournemouth, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester United. You know it can’t happen at Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or ManU. Leeds and Fulham are the best bets with their history of USMNT players. But if and where ever it did happen, it would be a revelation that might be an unheard of way of jumping our NT to the next level.

I think you’re touching on the issue. But it’s depth, not skill that separates us from the top 10 nations. I think our top 8-9 matched up pretty well this WC vs the big boys.
I don't think this is correct when we don't have even one player who is a no doubt every game starter for a top 4 team in one of the top 5 leagues, no matter the coach, no matter the system. The teams ahead of us usually have 4-5 players like that. We have none. Reyna might do that if he can stay healthy and if he doesn't try to move to a better team than Dortmund. But once he's healthy, he will go somewhere else, and find his level.

Who is our Mbappe, Modric, Messi, Levandowski, Neymar, or Kane? Hell, Canada has a guy who starts almost every game for Bayern Munich. Who's our Alphonso Davies? We don't have one. Korea has Son Heung-min. We don't. It's not Pulisic, not McKennie, not Adams. Every single one of our guys manages to Peter Principle themselves right up to the level where our fanbase defiantly explains why their club coach doesn't rate them properly and they get 50-60% of the minutes they should be getting, or they play regularly for teams in lower leagues or top leagues but guaranteed never to challenge for a title. If any of them were among the very, very best this would not happen. But we don't have players quite at that level.

Last edited:
I don't think this is correct when we don't have even one player who is a no doubt every game starter for a top 4 team in one of the top 5 leagues, no matter the coach, no matter the system. The teams ahead of us usually have 4-5 players like that. We have none. Reyna might do that if he can stay healthy and if he doesn't try to move to a better team than Dortmund. But once he's healthy, he will go somewhere else, and find his level.

Who is our Mbappe, Modric, Messi, Levandowski, Neymar, or Kane? Hell, Canada has a guy who starts almost every game for Bayern Munich. Who's our Alphonso Davies? We don't have one. Korea has Son Heung-min. We don't. It's not Pulisic, not McKennie, not Adams. Every single one of our guys manages to Peter Principle themselves right up to the level where our fanbase defiantly explains why their club coach doesn't rate them properly and they get 50-60% of the minutes they should be getting, or they play regularly for teams in lower leagues or top leagues but guaranteed never to challenge for a title. If any of them were among the very, very best this would not happen. But we don't have players quite at that level.
Idk if we’re that bad. Weston gets real minutes on Juve, Gio on Dortmond, Pulisic should fill that category too if he gets away from the shit show that is Chelsea. That’s 3. Adams could make that step to get us to your magic number of 4. I feel like the hardest part for the US has been maintaining that amount of players. It used to be if a Donovan & Dempsey started to show up, that a Reyna & McBride were on their way out. As mentioned regarding depth, we can have the current players become fixtures in top leagues while more come up over the next 4 years. It’ll put us on the Uruguay, Chile, Denmark, Switzerland category. Not bad company, I would hang out there for a few cycles & hope for some results to go out way. We’d 1-2 generational superstars like a Neymar, Mbappe, Kane away taking that giant leap to WC contender (there’s nothing to ensure that other than dumb luck & them not having a better passport!).

One position where we used dominate that I can’t understand why we regressed is keeper. If we can get back to our 90s level dominance there, that would help solve a lot of deficiencies. Unfortunately, I don’t know who the young phenom keeper candidate is. We all hoped it was Steffen, but that didn’t work out as planned. I sure hope we’re not in this position 4 years from now and someone steps up we’re not expecting.

One position where we used dominate that I can’t understand why we regressed is keeper. If we can get back to our 90s level dominance there, that would help solve a lot of deficiencies. Unfortunately, I don’t know who the young phenom keeper candidate is. We all hoped it was Steffen, but that didn’t work out as planned. I sure hope we’re not in this position 4 years from now and someone steps up we’re not expecting.
I think Turner will continue to improve and be our #1 still in 4 years. But i believe Gaga Slonina from the Fire is supposedly the next phenomenon goalkeeper. But he just entered into the mixer at Chelsea so who knows what’s going to happen to his development.

Reactions: FootyLovin and adam
Idk if we’re that bad. Weston gets real minutes on Juve, Gio on Dortmond, Pulisic should fill that category too if he gets away from the shit show that is Chelsea. That’s 3. Adams could make that step to get us to your magic number of 4.
McKennie has never started 20 games for Juventus and they're looking to get rid of him.
Reyna failed to play 1,000 minutes four out of five years.
For Pulisic you basically did the defiant explanation of why he's in a bad situation.
Adams sits in 14th place.

I'm done on this topic for now. You want the last word take it, but you just keep doing the same thing I said too many US fans do in my original post by over-rating our players with excuses and explanations. They're hurt. They have a mean coach. Next year for sure they're gonna break through.
I hope they do it. But as of the 2022 World Cup we had zero players in a good spot and starting regularly for a top 20 European team. Maybe 2023 is the year. Or maybe 2024. The teams who advanced further than we did had players who did it already and don't have to talk about bad club fits and "it's not his fault" or "I'm sure his next situation will be better." Our guys have 3 years to change that. I'm not predicting they won't. But until then, we are who we are.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
Ladies & gentleman our interim manager: (I’d honestly prefer Jason Kreis, and that’s saying A LOT.)

1673219397609.png

1673219413741.png