USMNT Talk

Reminds me of when I first started working that some of the craziest things our Managing Directors every heard was parents speaking to them because their kids (new analysts) weren't getting the right projects...

LOL - I have had the same thing happen to me.

this whole thing is a clown show.

You can't bring up a one-off incident that has been rectified as a bombshell "issue".

This is what happens when we keep seeing this happen with like twitter manhunts and stuff "look what he said in 2014 in that one tweet!"

Oh and here’s a great thread as to why GGG should not be re-hired as USMNT manager. And Ernie Stewart should step down too and not run a second sham hiring process where he even lies about who was interviewed.

I’m starting to wonder now if all this Reyna news is a hit piece by SUM/MLS/USS to discredit Claudio as he was working behind the scenes to make sure GGG wasn’t re-hired. It’s far fetched, but this whole thing is bat shit crazy.

Oh and here’s a great thread as to why GGG should not be re-hired as USMNT manager. And Ernie Stewart should step down too and not run a second sham hiring process where he even lies about who was interviewed.

I’m starting to wonder now if all this Reyna news is a hit piece by SUM/MLS/USS to discredit Claudio as he was working behind the scenes to make sure GGG wasn’t re-hired. It’s far fetched, but this whole thing is bat shit crazy.
If anything I think this is a case against the US Soccer nepotism machine. Incidents like this are why investors hate nepotistic companies.

Reactions: LionNYC and adam
If anything I think this is a case against the US Soccer nepotism machine. Incidents like this are why investors hate nepotistic companies.
It’s also intertwined with the media. ESPN has changed their whole original article (& title) and it’s becoming more clear that this was Claudio’s wife talking to a family friend Ernie Stewart after the GGG trash talking Gio came to light post-WC. Same Ernie who didn’t hire the most qualified manager last time and lied about who he interviewed. And probably wanted to hire GGG again. So he was the WORST person to call. And he twisted this whole thing so he can re-hire GGG by throwing the Reyna’s under the bus.

Damn. I want to write this script tonight!

Reactions: Fake Jew and JayH
Just as Wagatha Christie has died down.

Reactions: adam
And of course as I put all the pieces together:

1672877409461.png

This is so fucked. Who’s investigating Earnie??

This is such a Rorschach test. People out here including me just fitting this weirdness into their predisposed outlook. It magically proves everyone's priors.
Semi-seriously, I blame John Harkes. The entire USMNT class of players born from 1965-1980 give or take is a bunch of fucking looney tune drama kings and it all started with him. The only one who's immune is Lalas, and 80% of US soccer fans online hate him.
Seriously, everyone take a step back. This does not confirm everything you already believed. It just doesn't.

This is such a Rorschach test. People out here including me just fitting this weirdness into their predisposed outlook. It magically proves everyone's priors.
Semi-seriously, I blame John Harkes. The entire USMNT class of players born from 1965-1980 give or take is a bunch of fucking looney tune drama kings and it all started with him. The only one who's immune is Lalas, and 80% of US soccer fans online hate him.
Seriously, everyone take a step back. This does not confirm everything you already believed. It just doesn't.
But it makes me feel vindicated to think it does till I’m proven wrong…

One thing I think all will agree with at this point, you really can’t blame Gio for this horseshit.

Reactions: Shwafta
One thing I think all will agree with at this point, you really can’t blame Gio for this horseshit.
That's probably true. It seems inevitable that we will know more, even though the best thing anyone involved could do at this point is STFU.*

It reminds me of something that happened in my own life when I was about that age. I had an incident with a teacher in college that was upsetting. When I got an answer wrong, he threw a piece of chalk that hit the wall about a foot over my head. In a phone call to my father, I vented about it, and silently considered my next steps. Before I could do anything, my father - a professor at said college - started complaining about it and making things difficult for the teacher (who was a graduate student). I was mortified. I was a grown up and had intended to handle the situation myself, one-on-one with the teacher - and that's ultimately what ended up happening. My father apologized to me.

I would imagine (and hope) that's what Gio is going through now with his mom.

---
* - I mean, honestly. First GB blabs about the situation in a less-than-private forum. Then Danielle Reyna takes it on herself to complain to Earnie Stewart and in the process of venting lets fly a highly personal and confidential detail. Then GB issues a release inferring that this was a blackmail attempt. Then US Soccer issues a release that seems to support that. Then Danielle Reyna tells the Athletic that the incident was worse than GB made it sound. Honestly! Everyone! The whole lot of you! SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

Man, this is some unhinged, tinfoil hat stuff.

That's probably true. It seems inevitable that we will know more, even though the best thing anyone involved could do at this point is STFU.*

It reminds me of something that happened in my own life when I was about that age. I had an incident with a teacher in college that was upsetting. When I got an answer wrong, he threw a piece of chalk that hit the wall about a foot over my head. In a phone call to my father, I vented about it, and silently considered my next steps. Before I could do anything, my father - a professor at said college - started complaining about it and making things difficult for the teacher (who was a graduate student). I was mortified. I was a grown up and had intended to handle the situation myself, one-on-one with the teacher - and that's ultimately what ended up happening. My father apologized to me.

I would imagine (and hope) that's what Gio is going through now with his mom.

---
* - I mean, honestly. First GB blabs about the situation in a less-than-private forum. Then Danielle Reyna takes it on herself to complain to Earnie Stewart and in the process of venting lets fly a highly personal and confidential detail. Then GB issues a release inferring that this was a blackmail attempt. Then US Soccer issues a release that seems to support that. Then Danielle Reyna tells the Athletic that the incident was worse than GB made it sound. Honestly! Everyone! The whole lot of you! SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!
Exactly. It's just completely "shut the fuck up, literally no one cares" territory. Let's make drama out of nothing.

Except everyone cares, apparently, because here we are talking about it. sigh.

• Haha
Reactions: moogoo
I was on the fence.. part of me wanted to give him another chance with the Gold Cup.
I think this boils down to two families that were close and something changed that.
Clearly the Reyna’s felt wronged that their son was benched. I think at the time most USMNT supporters did as well.
I have a feeling more context comes out to put the pieces together.
Something happened between these two that caused a 20+ year old friendship to be torn apart.

Is there a gif of Pep, Zidane and the like running away from a dumpster fire?

Reactions: mgarbowski
Man, this is some unhinged, tinfoil hat stuff.
The thread basically paints a clubbish atmosphere, which can be unhealthy itself without needing to insinuate corruption and nepotism (and I think the thread goes off the rails doing that). But right now that same generation of US Soccer guys I mentioned earlier are heavily present in coaching, managing, and running MLS, US Soccer, and television coverage of both. That's no surprise given their background and age, and it's no surprise nor is it particularly corrupt that they tend to hire and rely on each other when they're not stabbing each other in the back.

Reactions: JayH
I was on the fence.. part of me wanted to give him another chance with the Gold Cup.
I think this boils down to two families that were close and something changed that.
Clearly the Reyna’s felt wronged that their son was benched. I think at the time most USMNT supporters did as well.
I have a feeling more context comes out to put the pieces together.
Something happened between these two that caused a 20+ year old friendship to be torn apart.

was watching ESPN FC. and Ale Moreno's take was this all came out not because Gio was benched, but because GB talked about all the locker room, BTS drama that was supposed to be within the team only, thus bringing negative attention to Gio.

Reactions: JayH and adam
was watching ESPN FC. and Ale Moreno's take was this all came out not because Gio was benched, but because GB talked about all the locker room, BTS drama that was supposed to be within the team only, thus bringing negative attention to Gio.
Yeah that’s the timeline according to Reynas. Danielle Reyna called Earnie Stewart on 12/11 after GGG’s leadership conference comments were leaked.

GGG on the other hand made this statement:

3D4FCAF8-FA32-43FF-92FA-E74E2862F49D.jpeg

US Soccer confirmed 12/11 in their statement:

8661833D-B8D6-49B3-8C5C-5F8747F3FE95.jpeg

GGG’s preemptive statement framed this as something much more sinister that took place during the World Cup. But seems everyone’s catching up. It’s still ugly, but not like GGG made it out to be. Maybe he has some proof to back his statement that will come out. Otherwise he loses the sympathy of having dirty laundry from decades ago aired and is now unemployable as someone who discusses what happens in the locker room and twists the truth to his own ends.

Reactions: moogoo
Exactly.

Every time one of them opens their mouth it only makes things worse for all of them.

This was the first mistake. Hopefully, they learn to STFU and stop making more.

Reactions: JayH