Vancouver Postgame

"I think he showed his experience. He showed his personality because when you concede a goal like that it's not easy, especially early in the game. But after that, he was composed, he made some really good decisions and I'm really pleased with his performance today, Josh. He's one of the leaders of the team and I think he showed how strong he is in his mind because after the mistake he still concentrated on the game and I think when you win a game like that you need your goalkeeper on his best and I think Josh on his decision making was really good." - Vieira, post match press conference.

Experience. Leadership. Qualities Johansen doesn't have because Johansen isn't given the opportunity to play. It's a Catch-22 and we're not going to see Eirik at any point this season barring injury or suspension to Saunders.
There's gotta be something we don't know about Johansen. Two different coaches and only one start, and that one being a non-league match. Looks like we're not going to see him unless Saunders gets hurt.

It took coming home and watching the replay to see just how amazing that corner kick goal was from start to finish. Villa's twisting volley was awesome of course, but he and Pirlo were totally coordinated. Villa set up low, then broke from his marker and ran straight to where Pirlo put the ball. Damn that was sweet.
It was a thing of beauty. Pirlo put the ball onto the exact spot where Villa would be when he finished his run out from the middle of the crowd in front of the goal. Villa wasn't there yet and wasn't even looking at the ball when it started on its way. He just knew it would be there when he was ready for it.

Pitchside Report:
- Apparently Juan Pablo (from the Bachelor) was in the audience. A few of the players gave him a hug (Saunders and Mix). Also in attendance were players from the New York Giants. It's really hard to tell the celebrities that are at these games. The only ones I've known were Trevor Noah and Mike Piazza. Then again you have the likes of Julianne Moore who sat last year in the general seating. She was on the jumbotron, that's how people saw her.
- After the warmups, Kristian (who's the performance coach) get the players to do running exercises on the sidelines. This game he used the sideline away from the benches. He told me it was to balance the work on the grass, not do too much damage to one side.
- Saunders came over to do the high five line as was previously mentioned in this thread.
- The benches went nuts over the goals.
- They gave everyone in this section some form of wallet as a gift.
- There were a few Templados in the section and the one to my left.

Last edited:
Reactions: S1ARK5

tumblr_nq1uhkMTdd1tlc7aio1_400.gif

What should I do next time he comes over?

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Dude, nobody wants to see you walking around Yankee Stadium like *that*. Trust me.

There's a lot of security in the area. I don't think I could get away with anything you're thinking. What a foul mind you have.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Pitchside Report:
- Apparently Juan Pablo (from the Bachelor) was in the audience. A few of the players gave him a hug (Saunders and Mix)

Juan Pablo is the worst/best bachelor in history so idk if that's a good thing or not. I didn't get to watch the game today but this is huge, next week is super winnable vs DC and then week have a week from hell after that (Portland/Toronto/RB) from coast to coast in 7 days. I still have faith that despite how bad we've been we can make the playoffs and do damage in the East

Nobody has yet noticed, especially our resident stat guru mgarbowski , but Vancouver must really hate playing us - we own them having won each time we've played (2-0-0) with a two year win streak against them. They won't get a chance to turn it around until 2017 at the earliest unless we meet them in the playoffs or the Open Cup this season, and even then we'll still lead the series.

Last edited:
Work ethic wise, these guys played like it was the MLS Cup. Guys were going all out, even Pirlo looked like Gattuso out there. And the stadium was really amped for 90. Also fun watching my 4 year old lead our section in chants for most of the game, including a "blow the whistle" chant during injury time (and then fall asleep on the subway). Great day.

Nobody has yet noticed, especially our resident stat guru mgarbowski , but Vancouver must really hate playing us - we own them having won each time we've played (2-0-0) with a two year win streak against them. They won't get a chance to turn it around until 2017 at the earliest unless we meet them in the playoffs or the Open Cup this season, and even then we'll still lead the series.

We actually have 6 wins, 3 ties, and one loss all time against Canadian teams. #godblessamerica

edit: plus another win vs Montreal in preseason this year so 7 wins

Funnily enough, on Saunders' first touch of the second half, he kicked the ball away and everyone cheered sarcastically, and Josh got upset and told everyone to be quiet with his hands. I guess, you know, it goes to show that these athletes are people and can be fragile sometimes, but I've never seen a player tell his home fans to cut out basically demeaning him.

The next time they lose or draw one they should've won, just remember that it's a long season. I was surprised to see people talk about being out of the playoffs already, before today's match.

We're one stupid extra time Montreal corner away from being tied for first.... Somehow.
Like this. Right, Ulrich Ulrich ?

Reactions: NickA and Ulrich
How did you all feel about the TMac -> Mix sub, with Mix taking up Tommy's forward position rather than Vieria calling a formation change and Mix dropping into midfield?

I thought it was a bold choice, and my gut feeling was to like it. Also probably good for Mix's confidence, maybe, though one could argue it's yet another instance of Mix being played out of position.

I was glad PV stuck with the higher mid position for Pirlo. Yet another hard-working, energetic performance from Pirlo, and as I mentioned before he basically double-created Villa's second goal. Bravo, maestro.
I think PV knew that there was a goal just waiting to be had. And watching the condensed match after the game, we could have easily won 5-2. Might have been the most lopsided game we've played at home. Absolutely destroyed them.

Sam Rosen would have been using his "a derisive cheer from the crowd" line a lot today with Saunders.
Maybe not performance wise, but as Paul and I discussed, we are well on our way to being the American Real Madrid. Don't blame us. Or do. But CFG operates in a way that exacerbates the NY predisposition to focusing on the negative.