Who Thinks We'll Actually Get An Academy?

Midas Mulligan

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 29, 2014
NYC
After the Lampard and kit behavior and re-considering some of the wording of prior statements, I don't believe we'll ever have an academy here.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

Let's play devil's advocate here.

If the club is meant as a feeder system, they would want to have an academy in the largest city in the United States.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
You're wrong because its all the rage of the European clubs to sign the next big thing from USA, China, ect. to try and get all eyes from that country on their club.

An academy in NY dramatically lifts MCFC's chances of it being them.

That said, I said the jersey wouldn't be sky blue and I picked "B) Lampard will be back before the first game" in the Frank Lampard poll topic so what the hell do I know?

One reason they WILL have one (eventually) is its a league mandated rule. I think they will soon. Already have agreements w/ top existing youth clubs. They'll get there.

They have enough problems now just getting 1st team ready.

Reactions: Kjbert
Let's play devil's advocate here.

If the club is meant as a feeder system, they would want to have an academy in the largest city in the United States.
We're not a feeder club. We're the slush tank.

I see something on the Island or upstate it even at Floyd bennett field area in Brooklyn of the biggest Academy in the US ala the ETIHAD campus. Give CFG some time and good things come.

Reactions: Scott McCarthy
All CFG clubs will have an academy.
Being a stepchild of CFG has zero to do with NYCFC having an academy. As stated earlier, having a Academy is a MLS enforced rule that all clubs must abide. Yes, we all know that CFG has a great academy setup in Manchester England (for some reason). But when it comes down to it, that will have little to no bearing on NYCFC for a while if ever.

Here is what NYCFC has announced so far:
http://www.nycfc.com/academy

Also, here is their affiliates. These will become the "Feeders" for the Academy.
http://www.nycfc.com/academy/youth-affiliates

In spite of not having an Academy, the affiliate club system seems promising:
10407017_795727777178965_4964819704884954635_n.jpg

"Two BW Gottschee players selected to U14 National team camp: Congratulations to Matteo Ritaccio and Eder Mosquera on their selection to the upcoming US U14 National team camp.
It is a great achievement for these young men who are tireless students of the game on and off the field.
Matteo has grown up with the club and is one of the most sought after young prospects in the country. He recently returned from Liverpool where he enjoyed a successful training experience with their youth Academy. Eder is a strong technical player with great instincts for the goal. He has only been with the club for one year and most of the credit for helping in his development must go to the clubs that worked with him from a young age. We gave him the opportunity to get in front of the right people. Both players are born in 2001 and deserve the recognition for their work on and off the field.
We have a strong history in sending players to youth national team camps and its a testament to the work everyone does at the club. Our philosphy of developing players with strong technique and soccer intelligence is not an accident. We will continue to work from the bottom to the top."

From the BW Gottschee Facebook page.

Being a stepchild of CFG has zero to do with NYCFC having an academy. As stated earlier, having a Academy is a MLS enforced rule that all clubs must abide. Yes, we all know that CFG has a great academy setup in Manchester England (for some reason). But when it comes down to it, that will have little to no bearing on NYCFC for a while if ever.

Here is what NYCFC has announced so far:
http://www.nycfc.com/academy

Also, here is their affiliates. These will become the "Feeders" for the Academy.
http://www.nycfc.com/academy/youth-affiliates

The CFG would build one, all clubs will have a youth set up.

In spite of not having an Academy, the affiliate club system seems promising:

"Two BW Gottschee players selected to U14 National team camp: Congratulations to Matteo Ritaccio and Eder Mosquera on their selection to the upcoming US U14 National team camp.
It is a great achievement for these young men who are tireless students of the game on and off the field.
Matteo has grown up with the club and is one of the most sought after young prospects in the country. He recently returned from Liverpool where he enjoyed a successful training experience with their youth Academy. Eder is a strong technical player with great instincts for the goal. He has only been with the club for one year and most of the credit for helping in his development must go to the clubs that worked with him from a young age. We gave him the opportunity to get in front of the right people. Both players are born in 2001 and deserve the recognition for their work on and off the field.
We have a strong history in sending players to youth national team camps and its a testament to the work everyone does at the club. Our philosphy of developing players with strong technique and soccer intelligence is not an accident. We will continue to work from the bottom to the top."

From the BW Gottschee Facebook page.

FWIW, BW Gottschee has some decent prospects on FM15 (although those players are most certainly procedurally generated.)

Again, it has little bearing on NYCFC. They might think it's a priority in 5 years, MLS says its a priority now. That will be the driving force. NYCFC already announced their academy director and he is not a mc guy.

Which is exactly right. New York need men who know the MLS. Kreis was a great choice for that. Local knowledge for local leagues.I dont know half the roster but it does not mean they cannot do the job. Its me that does not know the job, so get the guys in that do.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Again, it has little bearing on NYCFC. They might think it's a priority in 5 years, MLS says its a priority now. That will be the driving force. NYCFC already announced their academy director and he is not a mc guy.
Just curious, since MLS said having a stadium or at least the plan for one in place to have an expansion franchise and NYCFC does not what makes you think they can't circumvent the youth academy rule as well?