Why Kreis Is Really Learning "the Barca Way" And What That Means For Nycfc

For those interested or who haven't read it already, this is my new piece regarding how "The City Way" will be almost identical to "The Barca Way", what that might hold for NYCFC, why MLS fans shouldn't be insulted by Kreis's suggested "training" abroad, and what other qualities he brings to the table. I hope you enjoy it, and please share and/or comment if you do (or disagree)!

http://soccernewsday.com/usa/a/1773/why-kreis-is-learning-the-barca-way-

Last edited:
For those interested or who haven't read it already, this is my new piece regarding how "The City Way" will be almost identical to "The Barca Way", what that might hold for NYCFC, why MLS fans should be insulted by Kreis's suggested "training" abroad, and what other qualities he brings to the table. I hope you enjoy it, and please share and/or comment if you do (or disagree)!

http://soccernewsday.com/usa/a/1773/why-kreis-is-learning-the-barca-way-

At what point should MLS fans be insulted? City wants Kreis to train with MCFC. You wouldn't hire a person to do a job without giving them an orientation to learn about the corporate culture. It's a good write-up otherwise, I just disagree that it's something that "should" piss off MLS fans.

Whoops, I wrote "should" instead of "shouldn't". I fixed it. Haha, funny how much of a difference two letters can make. Sorry about that.

My point is it most certainly shouldn't piss off MLS fans, and I argued in favor of that point. But, Cosmos, RBNY and other MLS fans have complained in the past when the news came out saying, "Kreis is a great coach, why does he have to learn from Manchester City? That's disrespectful to him and our league." It's a stupid criticism that lacks perspective, so my piece is partly arguing against that "insulted" attitude.

We're in complete agreement, sorry about my typo that created the misunderstanding.

Whoops, I wrote "should" instead of "shouldn't". I fixed it. Haha, funny how much of a difference two letters can make. Sorry about that.

My point is it most certainly shouldn't piss off MLS fans, and I argued in favor of that point. But, Cosmos, RBNY and other MLS fans have complained in the past when the news came out saying, "Kreis is a great coach, why does he have to learn from Manchester City? That's disrespectful to him and our league." It's a stupid criticism that lacks perspective, so my piece is partly arguing against that "insulted" attitude.

We're in complete agreement, sorry about my typo that created the misunderstanding.
LOL yeah man, that *n't* sure changes the entire meaning of your comment. In that case, you're absolutely right.

Reactions: Nick Chavez
I read that piece back when you first posted it and I really do appreciate your work - it's nice to have some dedicated positive press so early on, and to have someone willing to stick up for the club on twitter who isn't just trotting out the easy-to-rebuff "yeah well at least we are in the MLS unlike cosmos" or "you're just jealous that our team is in NYC" arguments.

Out of interest, do you have any links to the club, and do you get told what to write by the place(s) you write for? Would be interesting to read stories on the development of the club by someone with an inside scoop.

Anyway, look forward to your next article. KUTGW.

Reactions: einwindir
LOL yeah man, that *n't* sure changes the entire meaning of your comment. In that case, you're absolutely right.

haha, sure does, sorry about that, but glad you agree. When I first read your response, I was like, "What? I was arguing the exact opposite of that!" I was about to tell you to re-read it until, I looked up at my original post first, re-read it and was like, "Whoops."

Lesson learned... never rush and post! haha

I read that piece back when you first posted it and I really do appreciate your work - it's nice to have some dedicated positive press so early on, and to have someone willing to stick up for the club on twitter who isn't just trotting out the easy-to-rebuff "yeah well at least we are in the MLS unlike cosmos" or "you're just jealous that our team is in NYC" arguments.

Out of interest, do you have any links to the club, and do you get told what to write by the place(s) you write for? Would be interesting to read stories on the development of the club by someone with an inside scoop.

Anyway, look forward to your next article. KUTGW.

Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you appreciate my work and realize that I do have actual reason behind what I write. Yes, I write a lot of opinion, but it's based on what is, for me, very compelling evidence, and surprisingly, I don't hear very many people saying what I say, so I figure I should say it, and I most certainly believe what I write 100%.

I believe very much in the potential of NYCFC, and most certainly in MLS and US Soccer in general, and I think more soccer fans should be more optimistic about our potential as a whole in all three realms of our game.

As for me personally, I don't have any links with the club. I've spoken to certain members at events and such, but I don't work for the club and I'm certainly never told what to say (by anyone), or even given any suggestions. I write completely independently of any influence of NYCFC for SoccerNewsday, and the only influence SoccerNewsday editor's have on my stuff is the final edit on my work.

Check out my column archive linked below for more background info of the club, which I've been covering since July, publishing my first piece in August. Thanks again for reading!

haha, sure does, sorry about that, but glad you agree. When I first read your response, I was like, "What? I was arguing the exact opposite of that!" I was about to tell you to re-read it until, I looked up at my original post first, re-read it and was like, "Whoops."

Lesson learned... never rush and post! haha

Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you appreciate my work and realize that I do have actual reason behind what I write. Yes, I write a lot of opinion, but it's based on what is, for me, very compelling evidence, and surprisingly, I don't hear very many people saying what I say, so I figure I should say it, and I most certainly believe what I write 100%.

I believe very much in the potential of NYCFC, and most certainly in MLS and US Soccer in general, and I think more soccer fans should be more optimistic about our potential as a whole in all three realms of our game.

As for me personally, I don't have any links with the club. I've spoken to certain members at events and such, but I don't work for the club and I'm certainly never told what to say (by anyone), or even given any suggestions. I write completely independently of any influence of NYCFC for SoccerNewsday, and the only influence SoccerNewsday editor's have on my stuff is the final edit on my work.

Check out my column archive linked below for more background info of the club, which I've been covering since July, publishing my first piece in August. Thanks again for reading!

Have you approached Dan about doing hosting a blog here?

If you look at the ideal mindset, mentality and attitude fans should have towards this club Nick Chavez is probably the prime example. I remember saying that it would be hard to top Sons of Ben as a SC and he said the aim should be to become bigger than them. That's absolutely right. As for links with the club that's something you should continue to build at future events open to those with media credentials. A high profile fan with strong sources and media connections could prove to be of great benefit in the future. Connections are everything.