Win! (Sports Documentary)-- Who's going to the Tribeca Film Festival screenings?

I'm going to check it out tonight, I feel like I've already seen the movie between actually seeing the disaster known as our inaugural season play out and all your comments but I want to personally see Reyna's reaction re: the Fat Frank "loan"

Still have my two tix for Saturday at 2. Would love to get them to someone on here who would enjoy it, don't really care about the $$. PM me if interested.

Would never in a million years watch it, but can someone give details on some of the behind the scenes things that were interesting, such as reactions to Frank's Benedict arnold moment?

Would never in a million years watch it, but can someone give details on some of the behind the scenes things that were interesting, such as reactions to Frank's Benedict arnold moment?
What struck me was how it was relayed to NYCFC, Ferran Soriano sat down with Claudio Reyna and told him the news that Frank would be staying in Manchester. Reyna apparently was hearing rumors before that, that there was a chance he would stay, so he said "we'd cheer his every goal before, but now we're hoping he does well but not too well"

The guy didn't have an option here and when he was told the news, Soriano tried to make it easier to digest by saying something along the lines of: we're [CFG] here not just for one year, or one season, we're here for many years.

In a way he was trying to justify this CFG move, almost as if to say, yeah you got screwed now but CFG will help you down the road more than it will hurt you in the long run. Claudio was pretty pissed, there's a good few seconds of him just sitting in silence, stewing over the news. He says how he's disappointed and he knows the move is going to kill the good will they'd built up with fans. They then cut to ticket reps fielding calls from people asking about the move, asking about refunds and all that.

Kreis was pissed, he said "they've taken away the most important cog" in his midfield. Every player they'd drafted and traded for, everyone was built around having Lampard there for the opener and they just took the rug out from under him.

Early on in the movie, you listen in on a call betweem Jason Kreis, who's scouting players in South America, and Claudio Reyna. CFG recommended players for them to look at, and Kreis and his staff looked at them but also found some players they wanted to bring in but apparently CFG wouldn't listen to him, it was essentially "here's our player list, choose from this, we're not going to even look at anyone else"

So you can put the blame for guys like Nemec, Calle and Mendoza squarely on the shoulders of City Football Group and their scouts. Kreis wasn't allowed to even suggest players he wanted scouted to them if they weren't on CFG's list.

Interesting comments from Kreis. Not very revealing, but still more so than what we have previously heard from him. Not surprising they he felt those around him failed to accept their share of responsibility for the team's struggles.

I was very distracted by his misuse of the word "sanctimonious".

Someone asked last night when a dvd would come out, one that might include scenes cut out. The producer said that's up to the club... so don't hold your breath.

then movie theater bootleg it is....those recordings where the people in front of you are getting up and you see it in the vid

Reactions: Schwallacus
Anyone else enjoy the training scene where (I believe) Wingert and Kreis are talking tactics in front of the camera, then in the background Grabavoy comes running down the side, gets taken out hard, and just lays on ground, with someone yelling OH SHIT right after it happened? I don't wish too much pain on him, but seeing one of our own take him out in preseason training was entertaining.

What struck me was how it was relayed to NYCFC, Ferran Soriano sat down with Claudio Reyna and told him the news that Frank would be staying in Manchester. Reyna apparently was hearing rumors before that, that there was a chance he would stay, so he said "we'd cheer his every goal before, but now we're hoping he does well but not too well"

The guy didn't have an option here and when he was told the news, Soriano tried to make it easier to digest by saying something along the lines of: we're [CFG] here not just for one year, or one season, we're here for many years.

In a way he was trying to justify this CFG move, almost as if to say, yeah you got screwed now but CFG will help you down the road more than it will hurt you in the long run. Claudio was pretty pissed, there's a good few seconds of him just sitting in silence, stewing over the news. He says how he's disappointed and he knows the move is going to kill the good will they'd built up with fans. They then cut to ticket reps fielding calls from people asking about the move, asking about refunds and all that.

Kreis was pissed, he said "they've taken away the most important cog" in his midfield. Every player they'd drafted and traded for, everyone was built around having Lampard there for the opener and they just took the rug out from under him.

Early on in the movie, you listen in on a call betweem Jason Kreis, who's scouting players in South America, and Claudio Reyna. CFG recommended players for them to look at, and Kreis and his staff looked at them but also found some players they wanted to bring in but apparently CFG wouldn't listen to him, it was essentially "here's our player list, choose from this, we're not going to even look at anyone else"

So you can put the blame for guys like Nemec, Calle and Mendoza squarely on the shoulders of City Football Group and their scouts. Kreis wasn't allowed to even suggest players he wanted scouted to them if they weren't on CFG's list.
So. Wow. I mean I'm partially not surprised. With respect to Lampard this is almost exactly what I thought happened, and consistent with my blame-placing. But I was 50/50 on placing blame for the international scouting. We basically had no BTS info so if you chose to blame CFG, or Kreis/Reyna, that probably said more about you and your biases than anything. I guess I should wait at least until I have some opportunity to see it myself before leaping to further conclusions, and I realize the filmmakers had their own point of view as well.
But to the extent this is accurate, this is a pretty damning portrayal of our ownership and management above Reyna, and surprisingly sympathetic to Kreis. I'm kind of surprised the team is promoting it. As negative as this is, I'm guessing it's a fairly small percentage of the overall "plot" and they figure it will go largely unnoticed except for the obsessives like us.

Last edited:
So I had a chance to watch it last night and really enjoyed it. The follow up article posted above was also very informative. I think someone said in an earlier post that this doc was for the fan that wasn't too familiar with the way NYCFC formed... and I think that assessment is correct.

Everyone here has an opinion on what players to draft, who to play, how to play them, etc, and a lot of the comments are unflattering, to say the least. Part of those comments are from people who think they can coach better. But I think for the majority of fans, we just want a team that we can get behind and support. Realistically, we can't expect playoffs and an MLS Cup in the first year of an expansion team. But we should expect our team to play their hearts out.

I can't wait to see where we go from here.