With Villa, Xavi, Lampard We Might Be Competitive In 2015

gozzello

Registered
Jul 4, 2014
say what you want about expansion teams, but our designated signings look pretty solid so far. Any thoughts on actually being competitive as an expansion team. Also do you think we might see some tiki-taka being that we seem to like Barca guys

say what you want about expansion teams, but our designated signings look pretty solid so far. Any thoughts on actually being competitive as an expansion team. Also do you think we might see some tiki-taka being that we seem to like Barca guys

I'm curious how much tiki taka will happen. MCFC has seemed interested in doing something like that, but the dramatic fall of Spain in the WC and Barca in the past two UCL makes me wonder if MCFC are as committed to that system as they once were.

As far as being competitive, I don't think the East will be very good so I can see NYCFC making the playoffs if everything breaks right.

We'll need to play smart. We can't just have tiki taka for the sake of having it. If we play faster and more physical midfielders without a backup plan, we'll get beat. We do need to figure out how to manage Xavi or Lamps physically and not overuse them if we want them to last the length of their contracts.

Reactions: MagnusPax
not a fan of the Lamps. Think we can get a better DP. But Xavi and Villa are phenomenal additions. How competitive we will be really depends on who fills the rest of the roster spots. But we are off to a good start for sure.

This is a different type of expansion team than in years past. It is a team with a highly successful sister club in Manchester City, with an investor who is heavily interested in the success of this franchise. Unlike Red bull. Furthermore, although the ownership is foreign they were wise enough to get a successful MLS manager rather than a european manager. It is a team that will definitely have a chance to be competitive. So far, the future looks bright.

I don't remember the last time I saw Lamps play a full 90 so it'll be interesting to see how Kreis manages his playing time and position. All that does depend on if he actually signs with us

I think it'll depend on how strong the Eastern Conference will be.

DC is good. Philly could be good, RB has been good, TFC just getting stronger, Orlando won't be a push over. No the east doesn't look easy in '15. Even if SKC & Houston go west.

Yes Villa is a great signing but I can't make a judgement until there are at least 11 players.

We'll have a top 5 set of DP's most likely, plus a decent but not spectacular slate of MLS'ers through the expansion draft. I think the big wildcard is the rumored 4 loanees from the Man City youth squad. They won't come over if they aren't getting playing time, meaning they'll be better than players we get out of the expansion draft. If that pans out, we could have 6-8 above average starters, including some of the league's best players as DP's. I'm not expecting the world, but we have a high ceiling for an expansion team. A lot of unknowns yet though.

I caution everyone who feels the MC academy loanees will start/save this team. That coupled with also relying on older DPs. Scary mix. And not Kreis's MO.

Football is incredibly fickle and I don't think tiki-taka is as 'in-vogue' as it was. Pre tiki-taka everybody raved about wing play, during the Barcelona and Spain dominance everybody swore that passing the ball and keeping was the way to play, nowadays its much more the 'in thing' to play a transition based, counter attacking game (a la Real Madrid, Bayern, Germany).

Slightly surprised about the anti Lampard posts here too. You have to remember, to the casual fan and the potential 'floaters' that the club will want to attract wont be interested in watching Xavi pick the ball up deep and pass it to his full back 40+ times a game. A goalscoring midfielder like Lampard is a solid initial signing IMO both for on and off the field, no matter how short-term it may be.

Reactions: nyc tomek
I couldn't tell you as I do not talk with Jason Kreis much but going on their histories I am just saying Lampard is more of a goalscoring midfielder.