World Cup: Biting Commentary

We play Liverpool 2nd game of the season which is great.

In my opinion it should have been a whole season with a final warning
of a total ban indefinitely, if he does something serious again.

Biting another human being is despicable, especially unprovoked.

Reactions: einwindir
As others have said, it is actually a light sentence given his previous actions. The outcome was likely heavily influenced by Liverpool and sponsors (not that it helps Liverpool, in anyway, but that it could have been and should have been worse). I've said in many serious discussions that he exhibits all of the characteristics of a psychopath (the clinical definition, not the Hollywood depiction). I have begun to feel bad for him—he needs serious help, whether his actions are premeditated or impulsive behaviour. Liverpool have reportedly attempted to provide that help but it has obviously been less than effective.

I've spoken to many Liverpool supporters that are done with him, but have also spoken to a small number that feel hard done by. I can't say I feel much for the latter population of fans as Liverpool knew very well the sort of person they had last year and chose to hang on to him (even fight to do so). His actions, even if not undertaken with Liverpool, should affect them. Many have said that such a ban should not affect his domestic participation—an argument I find both laughable and frightening. It shows that some could care less about the character or actions of a person as long as they deliver results (regardless of who his hurt to do it). And it is a poor logical stance, as well. His defense of the transgression was equally flabbergasting (in short, he indicated his teeth fell on to the Italian defender as a result of tripping). And what is worrying is he may have gotten away with that explanation if not for the alternate videographer footage presented to the review panel showing clearly the biting movement.

Liverpool need to get rid, but that may or may not be possible depending on FIFA's clarification of the "administrative" clause of the ban. If it ever happens again, though, he needs to be banned permanently.

Last edited: