Away - 03/05 Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than Pirlo being out, the lineup that PV used last weekend and his substitution pattern felt like he was managing it as if it was a real game. If that's right, unless he switches the system and goes 3 at the back (and there's been lots of good discussion on the pros and cons of that on the boards), I think we see the same lineup with Pirlo in and either:
  • Ring or Herrera (likely Ring) sitting as the 6; or
  • A midfield of Ring, Pirlo and Herrera with Maxi nominally at left wing.
The second alternative is interesting to me because, in that system, I'd expect to Maxi to tuck in and play centrally, similarly to how McNamara often played the left wing last year (but better). So, you still get the central play-making that we've seen from him in the preseason. Matarrita then provides the width on the left side and you have the benefit of two athletes around Pirlo in the center and not having to tether Ring to a true holding role.

But, if I had to guess, we'll get the former, probably with Herrera on the bench.

I certainly agree that of my predicted Starting XI, TMac and Brillant are the two guys that are most questionable. I think TMac gets the nod because the other options there simply haven't had as much time with the team and because of how much Coach V likes and respects Tommy. Regarding the second starter at CB, I haven't been quite as high on Callens as some. I think he is more likely a sometimes starter and frequent sub, but we will see.

Interesting and really strange, why would you need the league to encourage you to open for game 1? Why would you ever want to loose the momentum and excitement of a new stadium by having your season ticket holders go to a different stadium and sit in a temporary seat for 1-2 games only to then move.

Or maybe it's all just BS as they try to give them an easy out for anything that doesn't work week 1.

No I think that tweet is saying that OCSC wanted to play its first two games on the road, then play the home opener in Week 3.

Reactions: gbservis
This matchup seems to be tailor made for 3 Center Backs and Mata. Orlando has Larin and no significant wing speed. Mata and Wallace get to attack and overwhelm Orlando RB Donny Toia (who is not as good as our own RJ Allen) and stretch the D out of shape leaving pockets for Maxi and Pirlo to get the ball and serve to Villa/Harrison for 1 v 1 or 1 v keeper opportunities. Spector is a good player but has had no chance to work with their makeshift backline. We should be good for 2-3 goals.

If we don't destroy Orlando, I'm going to be disappointed. Its a team that has not gotten better since they stunk last year and might have gotten worse. They are injured as well. If we are planning on being a top team this year, we need to come out of the gate strong and crush teams like this.

If we don't destroy Orlando, I'm going to be disappointed. Its a team that has not gotten better since they stunk last year and might have gotten worse. They are injured as well. If we are planning on being a top team this year, we need to come out of the gate strong and crush teams like this.
Agreed. I'm all for playing certain teams away for a tie, but the vast majority of our games should be viewed as winnable and PV should not try to over-think the strategy. When comparing the rosters and team chemistry, this game is set up as a must win and anything less is acquiescing to lost opportunities.

Reactions: JCMore
Look, this is going to be tough.

Yes, we are the better team, but this is their first game in the new stadium. It is going to be ROCKING.

Plus, for all our talent, these guys haven't played together very much. We put in 2 goals in 4 games in Arizona. I could easily see us holding possession but not creating quality chances and giving up something on the break - much like our 1-0 loss early last year.

One of the more frustrating things to me about MLS is it is just hard to win on the road. There was not a single team in MLS last year that lost more than five home matches. Even the worst home teams were taking points 70% of the time.

Results in 2014 and 2015 were a little bit less extreme (e.g., the crap 2015 NYCFC team managed to lose seven), but still generally consistent.

It is one of the things about the league that I don't really like, but, unfortunately, for whatever reason, the reality is that going into road games expecting to win leads to disappointment a lot.

That said, I sure as hell hope we come out and crush them and will still be annoyed if we don't.

One of the more frustrating things to me about MLS is it is just hard to win on the road. There was not a single team in MLS last year that lost more than five home matches. Even the worst home teams were taking points 70% of the time.

Results in 2014 and 2015 were a little bit less extreme (e.g., the crap 2015 NYCFC team managed to lose seven), but still generally consistent.

It is one of the things about the league that I don't really like, but, unfortunately, for whatever reason, the reality is that going into road games expecting to win leads to disappointment a lot.

That said, I sure as hell hope we come out and crush them and will still be annoyed if we don't.
I'm sure a lot of us will still find things to be annoyed at even if we come out and crush them.

This is of course quack psychology only, but perhaps it has something to do with the very long distances between the towns. I think only in Russian league there are similar long distance journeys for so many teams. Being on the road for so long might have a negative effect.

The last pre-season game vs. Kansas showed so much promise, that I believe the team has a good chance to build on that with an away win, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.