Away - Revs 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
MLS DisCo published their report this week. Villa isn't on it. Though since this article refers to only one player, it's possible there is more to come.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...mittee-fines-portland-midfielder-lucas-melano

I think that means he is not going to be disciplined, but I agree, it's hard to know for sure. Usually, they update that page all at one time. If they were to do so, I would lose my shit completely. The guy wasn't within 3 feet of him when he did that.

EDIT - I suppose it is worth noting that the one player mentioned is Lucas Melano, who grabbed the head and hair of an opponent during a confrontation. He only got a fine.

Last edited:
I think that means he is not going to be disciplined, but I agree, it's hard to know for sure. Usually, they update that page all at one time. If they were to do so, I would lose my shit completely. The guy wasn't within 3 feet of him when he did that.

EDIT - I suppose it is worth noting that the one player mentioned is Lucas Melano, who grabbed the head and hair of an opponent during a confrontation. He only got a fine.

On Instant Replay, Simon Borg said that Villa should have seen red.

On Instant Replay, Simon Borg said that Villa should have seen red.
I don't disagree, a swing like that generally gets red, always when it connects, usually even when it doesn't.

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/09/08/training-update-98-patrick-vieira?autoplay=true

Vieira said they're going into New England with a game plan. My educated guess is that their plan is to get the ball into the box and cross it as hard as you possibly can at Frank Lampard and hope for the best that it ricochet off his body and into the goal.
I'm more than happy to have to keep updating Lampard's thread if he keeps banging in goals and surpasses the posted threshold. I'd also find it fascinatingly ironic that it would also mean the most maligned player the league has seen in the last few years would legitimately be the the league MVP after only half a season of play.

Reactions: JayH
Taking a crack at a starting lineup that assumes a couple guys sit to get some rest.
image.jpeg

Bench: Q-Tip, Tony Tiger, Mix, Hey Mikey!, MenaMan, Hernando, Lurch

Questions.

With Matarrita back, does RJ start at LB? Or does Coach V keep a usual center back in that spot? My guess is that if he goes with Bravo at CDM, it will be a player with better offense and better passing.

Do the guys coming off international duty start? Certainly Matarrita, who only played 15 minutes or so on Tuesday. Chanot went the full 90 and had an international flight, so maybe he is off the bench.

Reactions: Viewfrom226
Taking a crack at a starting lineup that assumes a couple guys sit to get some rest.
View attachment 5723

Questions.

With Matarrita back, does RJ start at LB? Or does Coach V keep a usual center back in that spot? My guess is that if he goes with Bravo at CDM, it will be a player with better offense and better passing.

Do the guys coming off international duty start? Certainly Matarrita, who only played 15 minutes or so on Tuesday. Chanot went the full 90 and had an international flight, so maybe he is off the bench.
Without engaging in the GK debate because it is fruitless at this point, this is the exact lineup I would run out there.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Didn't Chanot go 90 for Lux in the mid-week qualifier? With the European travel, not sure he'll get the start.

Very glad to see Matarrita back in the starting lineup. I can also see Bravo starting for that defensive bite as both FBs will attack.

Reactions: adam
View attachment 5723

Questions.

I agree that PV might rest AI and Tommy but I highly doubt both of them will be left out of the 18. He's gonna want to be able to throw TMac out there if we are chasing a goal. Plus AI on the bench gives you the luxury of having a sub at Def. CM or at CB in one player.

Reactions: Ulrich and JCMore
View attachment 5723

Questions.

I probably missed this somewhere, but who is Q-Tip?

I agree that PV might rest AI and Tommy but I highly doubt both of them will be left out of the 18. He's gonna want to be able to throw TMac out there if we are chasing a goal. Plus AI on the bench gives you the luxury of having a sub at Def. CM or at CB in one player.

TMac isn't a good substitute. You want someone with pace: Khiry, Mendoza, Taylor

TMac isn't a good substitute. You want someone with pace: Khiry, Mendoza, Taylor
While I agree with the sentiment that TMac is better suited to start than to come on as a sub, not every situation in a soccer game calls for pace. Besides, TMac is a far more clinical finisher than all three of the guys you named. He has repeatedly shown his ability to produce a goal on his own and out of nowhere.

Subs are based upon what you need to accomplish at the time (score a goal, protect a lead, etc.) and also upon what the game is giving you at that moment. If you are chasing a goal and the other team is sitting back with nine guys behind the ball protecting the lead, then pace isn't going to help you as much as it would if the game was wide open. On the contrary, that's a situation where a guy like Tommy could force a defender or two to come out of the defensive shell and open up some space in the 18 yard box for a guy like Villa or Jack because Mac has shown the ability to score from 25 plus yards out.

Reactions: Paul and Ulrich
This is correct. Q-Tip is Khiry, based on the former (and hopefully future) hairdo.

I kept TMac and AI out of the 18 because I figured if you are going to rest them, then you rest them. All of this being total speculation, of course.
I agree with your logic, I just don't think PV will do it (leave them both out of the 18 that is).

FWIW, one of the "must know facts" that the NYCFC Twitter account tweeted about tonight's match was in regard to Bravo. Sign of what's to come tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.