2015 U. S. Open Cup

The one problem with this, is I don't think this rule has been consistently applied.

I've seen several matches where the ref has been grabbed and there has not been any 3-month bans for that action.

"(b) Assault includes, but is not limited to the following acts committed upon a referee: hitting, kicking, punching, choking, spitting on, grabbing or bodily running into a referee"

"(1) The person committing the referee assault must be suspended as follows:
(a) for a minor or slight touching of the referee or the referee's uniform or personal property, at least 3 months from the time of the assault;"

Now, in no way here am I condoning Dempsey's actions or am I saying his actions are comparable to a player grabbing a ref's arm to complain about a foul, but just wanted to point this out.

The one problem with this, is I don't think this rule has been consistently applied.

I've seen several matches where the ref has been grabbed and there has not been any 3-month bans for that action.

"(b) Assault includes, but is not limited to the following acts committed upon a referee: hitting, kicking, punching, choking, spitting on, grabbing or bodily running into a referee"

"(1) The person committing the referee assault must be suspended as follows:
(a) for a minor or slight touching of the referee or the referee's uniform or personal property, at least 3 months from the time of the assault;"

Now, in no way here am I condoning Dempsey's actions or am I saying his actions are comparable to a player grabbing a ref's arm to complain about a foul, but just wanted to point this out.
Totally agree. There hasn't been a match this decade where players from both teams haven't committed a "slight touching of the referee." (Which for the record is also a great euphemism for masturbation.)

Too bad Rochester couldn't knock off Philly in penalties last night.

If we beat the Cosmos and Philly, our next game will be the third game we have all our summer signings playing, so we should be much stronger. That one will be against SKC or NYRB, so it has a chance to be epic. Win that and we are in the semifinals.

There's definitely a path to win this thing!

Too bad Rochester couldn't knock off Philly in penalties last night.

If we beat the Cosmos and Philly, our next game will be the third game we have all our summer signings playing, so we should be much stronger. That one will be against SKC or NYRB, so it has a chance to be epic. Win that and we are in the semifinals.

There's definitely a path to win this thing!
Where are you getting that we would play Philly? I thought that they redraw based on regions starting the Round of 16. So we could end up getting Philly, NJ, or NE most likely.

Where are you getting that we would play Philly? I thought that they redraw based on regions starting the Round of 16. So we could end up getting Philly, NJ, or NE most likely.

My bad, I literally just used the Wikipedia bracket. You're right, there's a 5th round re-draw.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
My bad, I literally just used the Wikipedia bracket. You're right, there's a 5th round re-draw.
No worries, I thought I had read about the redraw, but didnt think I fully grasped when it took place and whatnot, haha.

I would much rather have a for sure game against Philly, than have to draw from Philly, NE, or NJ.

Villa isn't playing cause of the "turf" but probably more reasons why.

Reactions: SayWhat44
People make mistakes, it's a good teaching point on how not to lose your cool and how not to act.
Agree about the teaching point and I'm a forgiving type, but captains should know better. If this was a more important tournament than the Gold Cup people would be a lot more upset. And if he played for NYC we'd all be furious we'd be losing him for so long for something so stupid. Now I'm just pissed he didn't do it before we played them.

Reactions: Gazza_55
Agree about the teaching point and I'm a forgiving type, but captains should know better. If this was a more important tournament than the Gold Cup people would be a lot more upset. And if he played for NYC we'd all be furious we'd be losing him for so long for something so stupid. Now I'm just pissed he didn't do it before we played them.

We don't know yet how long he will be banned or if it will be all competitions. I really doubt he'll be banned from anything more than a couple open cup games next season.

Does anyone else think Dempsey should never be a captain? Not because of what he did on Tuesday but I have never thought he's a good leader.

I hope he gets banned for the rest of the season, can't stand him. Grade A *****.