2016 Schedule!

I'm glad that 5 of the 6 away games that are easier to travel to (obviously NJ, but also New England, DC, and Philly) are weekend games, not weekday, which means it's more likely I can go.

The first away match I went to was the one against Philly when we snapped the 11 game winless streak and when Tommy Mac scored the screamer. Met roxfontaine, although he probably doesn't remember me, and although I had never met the gent who sat next to me on the bus ride down before, he shared his supply of Guinness with me since I foolishly didn't realize yes beer-on-the-bus, duh. Good time

Last edited:
Oh man, the home opener is on the first day of Daylight Savings Time. Half the fans show up an hour early, the other half show up at halftime.
I love how this presumes that half the fans forgot about DST (reasonable enough), but the other half remember, but think it goes the opposite way.

I may be in the minority of those who love the game against the Red Bulls on July 3. In my experience, games at YS over that holiday weekend not only draw huge crowds, but have a distinctive fun, vibrant and festive feel to them. I've always loved to go to Yankees games over the Fourth of July. (It does of course stink for those who will be out of town.)
Could be some fun 4th of July related tifo possibilities there....

Reactions: JayH
Doing a quick scan, it looks like my son and I are going to make the trip up to the Bronx for 8 to 9 games this season.

Definitely going to be there for the opener vs Toronto, the August game vs the Galaxy and the final vs Columbus in October. The rest are going to depend on work, school and vacation schedules.

Let the stalking of Ticketmaster commence!

Reactions: JayH
hmmmm portland then toronto a few days later mid week...do i dare make that trip ? i know im doing portland for sure

Reactions: Kjbert
MLS has weird ideas.
In the first Rivalry Week we play NYRB. Fine. In the second we play Orlando.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/01/07/heineken-rivalry-week-returns-two-more-editions-2016

Then, we have one game that makes the "10 Games to Watch" list: when we host Philly on June 18. That seems, random.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...-schedule-released-here-are-10-games-keep-eye
I mean, I like us, and all, but a matchup between the 8th and 9th place East finishers from last year is a preseason Must-Watch? And it's not like our games against the Union last year were particularly epic. Us against Toronto or RB makes more sense. I think they just wanted to get 20 different teams on the list.

Last edited:
MLS has weird ideas.
In the first Rivalry Week we play NJRB. Fine. In the second we play Orlando.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/01/07/heineken-rivalry-week-returns-two-more-editions-2016

Then, we have one game that makes the "10 Games to Watch" list: when we host Philly on June 18. That seems, random.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...-schedule-released-here-are-10-games-keep-eye
I mean, I like us, and all, but a matchup between the 8th and 9th place East finishers from last year is a preseason Must-Watch? And it's not like our games against the Union last year were particularly epic. Us against Torontoor RB makes more sense. I think they just wanted to get 20 different teams on the list.

a vancouver vs portland or vacouver vs seattle made more sense to include there but whatevs

Reactions: Kjbert
Doing a quick scan, it looks like my son and I are going to make the trip up to the Bronx for 8 to 9 games this season.

Definitely going to be there for the opener vs Toronto, the August game vs the Galaxy and the final vs Columbus in October. The rest are going to depend on work, school and vacation schedules.

Let the stalking of Ticketmaster commence!

How old is your son?

My guy is 8, so weekend day games are the only ones that work. The good news is that covers 6 games already with another 5 up in the air. Plus, the 6 are good ones. Opener vs. Toronto, Closer vs. Columbus, LA Galaxy, New Jersey (x2), Orlando.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
I may be in the minority of those who love the game against the Red Bulls on July 3. In my experience, games at YS over that holiday weekend not only draw huge crowds, but have a distinctive fun, vibrant and festive feel to them. I've always loved to go to Yankees games over the Fourth of July. (It does of course stink for those who will be out of town.)
Plus we will all be giddy with the excitement of our June signing.

*cough* Zlatan! *cough, cough*

For those complaining - get used to it.

As long as the team is playing in Yankee Stadium there will ALWAYS be a top heavy March schedule because the Yankees won't be there. NYCFC will always be beholden to the Yankees, never the other way around.

How old is your son?

My guy is 8, so weekend day games are the only ones that work. The good news is that covers 6 games already with another 5 up in the air. Plus, the 6 are good ones. Opener vs. Toronto, Closer vs. Columbus, LA Galaxy, New Jersey (x2), Orlando.
My guy is a tad older. He'll be 22 in June. :D

Brought a tear to me eye when he turned 21 last summer and for the 1st time paid for the beer.

Vieira needs to have the team firing on all cylinders right at the start of the season with this schedule. Nothing would kill momentum for the year more than four underwhelming home games in quick succession, in the cold. At least, as far as getting casual fans in the stadium goes. Screw those up, and it'll be a stretch to persuade first-timers to come back. Having that many home games in close succession is tough enough on the single-ticket buyers as it is.