2016 Strategy - What worked, What didn't?

Also what didn't work - Pirlo free kicks. It's hard to remove one of the best takers of all time, but for whatever reason direct kicks haven't clicked for him since his arrival. Villa was obviously too respectful to push for a takeover, but the coaching staff should have facilitated it. Villa would have been more effective, and it could have changed some games.
TRUE !

Reactions: JayH
BEST : David Batman Villa ! His spirit and drive ! I Respect this man more than I can say he really is a super hero ! When I look at him I see a young man with so much Love for his sport and equal for the fans! When he say's something you can believe it . It comes from the heart! Tommy Mac... The sweet Bull Dog who has the balls and ability to stand next the big dog's with confidence !! This is our American Hero ! You can see a very well balanced young man who has the advantage of time !! This Club has to build itself around him in the future in order to sustain itself!! He's well earned the respect and love from Everyone ! NY born and bread what more can one say for Fucks Sake !! Frank Lampard .. I have to respect a man who really made an effort to come back from injury ! He also takes to heart the disappointment of the fans. Being from England he has a proper sense about him!
Mikey Lopez well I really haven't paid that much attention to his playing skills but he's got such a great sense of humor . He was the first person to score an interview with Andrea in English ! He seems like the go to guy when there's tension in the room. WORST : Getting rid of Puko !! I still can't understand how the club made him the best part of the second jersey video then dumped him ?? He's an awesome player who's very soled ! This club made a very stupid mistake letting him go ! Josh Saunders a very nice man loved by the fans but just can't cut the mustard on a ball frank ! Andrea ! Andrea!! Andrea !!! It's not possible for me to ever stop loving you your to much in my DNA! There's just way to much to say for this forum. But this experiment and those cleats didn't work ! I have to Thank this club for bringing you closer to me but it was at the expense of the Team and the disappointment of the fans!! To the People of this Forum you have my Apology ! It's my fault ! These are my thoughts folks ! NYCFC_Dan I know you don't think to highly of me and that I'm not to be taken serious by anyone. I took Great Care with my opinions here Please note that ! This goes to you as an Olive Branch ! It's up to you what to do with it ! My Hope is positive !! THANKS !!

Last edited:
I have to give credit to Vieira, he was not afraid to make changes. Made for a very exciting season to watch, and full credit to the entire team and coaching staff for this year, it was a huge success in our second season.

I'm sure I missed some, I'd love to hear your opinions on this.

Great summary !The only humble comment I can add to your analysis is that I would had given more time to our second GK- Johansen. I love Saunders but sometimes he had butter hands.

Mix and Poku were a bust . . . catchy memes didn't translate on field.
giphy.gif

BEST:
Offense. Led the league in goals scored.

Fun. this is a corollary with goals. Lots of goals = lots of fun. As a fan, can't ask for much more than we got on this.

2nd Place. This was far beyond what it was reasonable for us to expect, especially with a legit shot at 1st with as few as 2 games remaining.

Roster. We continued to upgrade. I'm very pleased with our FO, both for the players brought in and the making the most of the moves when players (even beloved ones) really needed to go.

Philosophical Commitment. Things looked ugly for PV in the first 10 games or so. But he stuck to the game he wanted to play, and it ultimately worked pretty damn well. Obviously Iraola's move and Frank's and JH's injury recoveries played major roles. But PV didn't give up on his vision.

WORST:
The celebration in front of the supporters after the last home game of the regular season. So embarrassing.