2018 Offseason Thread

As we discuss the best use of our resources, Darlington Nagbe is moving to Atlanta from Portland because Portland refused to give him a raise from $550k to $1 Million.

That's the going rate for an MLS Best XI CM.

Mix at $750k is a bargain then. Bring him back!

Now I’m picturing Mix playing CM in our 2017 lineup and getting annoyed all over again

Would he have been made a DP. Because otherwise we couldn’t have afforded Ring and Yangel. Aaaaaand that’s why we need to cut Maxi. Give me $350k more in cap space & all this TAM, rather than him clogging it all up at the 10 spot for $2mm.

Reactions: Kjbert
Would he have been made a DP. Because otherwise we couldn’t have afforded Ring and Yangel. Aaaaaand that’s why we need to cut Maxi. Give me $350k more in cap space & all this TAM, rather than him clogging it all up at the 10 spot for $2mm.

It's not even about the money. It's about the production. There are 10-12 better #10s in MLS. He's Ben Sweat.

Reactions: adam
It's not even about the money. It's about the production. There are 10-12 better #10s in MLS. He's Ben Sweat.

lol there are not 12 better 10's ....its fine if you dont like him but there are not 12 better than maxi. is he the top 5 ? maybe not but he is not pure trash either.....his production is low because he he only had villa upfront. the rest were shelton/ okoli i mean what can you do there if those latter two dont score and are not good at that either. ....,the only criticism i had of him is that deep in the season he should of taken shots himself even if PV tells him to pass....knowing that no one outside villa could score

lol there are not 12 better 10's ....its fine if you dont like him but there are not 12 better than maxi. is he the top 5 ? maybe not but he is not pure trash either.....his production is low because he he only had villa upfront. the rest were shelton/ okoli i mean what can you do there if those latter two dont score and are not good at that either. ....,the only criticism i had of him is that deep in the season he should of taken shots himself even if PV tells him to pass....knowing that no one outside villa could score

We've been through this exercise:

Almiron
Piatti
Valeri
Klejstan
Higuain
Vazquez
Lodeiro
Feilhaber
Acosta
Diaz (when healthy)
Rusnak

Thats 11 players that provide more than Maxi. I would argue Lee Nguyen and Kelyn Rowe are right there too. Kaka is now retired but wouldn't fit our team anyway.

If you called Atlanta, Montreal, Portland, Columbus, Toronto, NJRB, RSL or Seattle and offered Maxi straight up for their guy, they laugh at you.

Maybe DC considers Acosta. SKC maybe considers Feilhaber because of his contract situation. Diaz was MLS Best XI in 2016 but he only has one Achilles.

Doyle thought we were the most fun team to watch in 2017 until the Int'l break from hell. I think he wants us to be at least that good next year. He's kind of rooting for us.

He said in the MLS Cup postgame YouTube show that NYCF will be a top contender next year since we have most of our starters back and will sign a DP.

He's on the hype subway.

For those that are interested. you can watch the Expansion Draft at 2 PM EST at mlssoccer.com

Reactions: JayH
We've been through this exercise:

Almiron
Piatti
Valeri
Klejstan
Higuain
Vazquez
Lodeiro
Feilhaber
Acosta
Diaz (when healthy)
Rusnak

Thats 11 players that provide more than Maxi. I would argue Lee Nguyen and Kelyn Rowe are right there too. Kaka is now retired but wouldn't fit our team anyway.

If you called Atlanta, Montreal, Portland, Columbus, Toronto, NJRB, RSL or Seattle and offered Maxi straight up for their guy, they laugh at you.

Maybe DC considers Acosta. SKC maybe considers Feilhaber because of his contract situation. Diaz was MLS Best XI in 2016 but he only has one Achilles.

id argue against klejstan considering the team was not the same as last year....i dont know which vasquez you are referring to.....rusnak all i got is the one game we played against them but i dont watch their games and considering they didnt make playoffs im not convinved of his superiority. Higuain? the same columbus higuain that didnt do much in our home game playoff game....he was better before, but i dont i feel it was him instead meram and others carrying that team.

as for others you are calling out wingers not 10's. still out of your list id only take the top three over maxi....the rest ( minus diaz considering all of FC dallas was bad this year compared to last year) im ok having maxi. again, only having villa up front to give assists too doesnt help plus his unwillingness to finish plays himself ( or orders given to him). another thing is that i love his hustle ( hell klejstan lacked that and you ranked him higher) tracking back etc and getting hit and still going. in his first year considering we still lacked in other areas it was fine. ( which some people give as an excuse to players) if next year he gives the same "poor" numbers then maybe ill consider it.

but as of now maxi is fine....get another DP and dont let him be 35 yrs old

Reactions: Christopher Jee
He said in the MLS Cup postgame YouTube show that NYCF will be a top contender next year since we have most of our starters back and will sign a DP.

He's on the hype subway.

dont like that....he is almost always a jinx to anyteam he praises

id argue against klejstan considering the team was not the same as last year....i dont know which vasquez you are referring to.....rusnak all i got is the one game we played against them but i dont watch their games and considering they didnt make playoffs im not convinved of his superiority. Higuain? the same columbus higuain that didnt do much in our home game playoff game....he was better before, but i dont i feel it was him instead meram and others carrying that team.

as for others you are calling out wingers not 10's. still out of your list id only take the top three over maxi....the rest ( minus diaz considering all of FC dallas was bad this year compared to last year) im ok having maxi. again, only having villa up front to give assists too doesnt help plus his unwillingness to finish plays himself ( or orders given to him). another thing is that i love his hustle ( hell klejstan lacked that and you ranked him higher) tracking back etc and getting hit and still going. in his first year considering we still lacked in other areas it was fine. ( which some people give as an excuse to players) if next year he gives the same "poor" numbers then maybe ill consider it.

but as of now maxi is fine....get another DP and dont let him be 35 yrs old

Sacha Klejstan has 37 assists the last two years. That's the most in MLS history over a two season stretch. That's f'ing absurd.

The Vazquez I am referring to is Victor Vazquez of Toronto FC. He finished 8th in the MVP voting this year.

Pipa Higuain had 9 goals and 14 Assists this year. He destroyed us in the first playoff game and destroyed us in the last game of the season.

Albert Rusnak is one of 11 players on the pitch. He was phenomenal this year. But thank you for admitting you don't watch them and it's impossible to have an opinion about him.

Just because you don't watch the rest of MLS, doesn't mean that there aren't fantastic players out there. You should watch more of MLS before you tell me that you would take Maxi Moralez over Victor Vazquez.

If you like hustle so much, then why did we just release RJ Allen? He hustles too

Can confirm that JLew's trip to Abu Dhabi is only for vacation purposes.

We're not going to Abu Dhabi for preseason.

A few days late to the party, but I've been away for a few days with limited access to the internet. Every season since 2008, at the end of each season, Manchester City have flown their entire squad to Abu Dhabi for 3-4 days. It's nothing to do with playing games, there's no training involved, the players just get to enjoy a few days of luxury plus being introduced to/reacquainted with Sheikh Mansour and his family plus other important Emiratis, and in the meantime the key decision-makers at the club carry out a series of high-level annual meetings regarding the direction of the club, their budget for the following season and so on with Mansour and his top associates. Recently, Melbourne City have done the same thing at the end of their seasons. They even did it with the Manchester & Melbourne City women's teams a year or so ago, plus they played an exhibition game against each other. (With only one CFG team in Abu Dhabi, no I don't anticipate another exhibition match. This has only happened the once, note).

I am 99% sure that this is just this - the perks of Middle Eastern connections, and Mansour wanting to reward his team with a little international spa break of a sort.

Last edited: